Pilot Academy

Valiant

As I said from the start, the pilot academy is in its testing stages and given the result we've seen in the past few months, we can conclude that the current system that we have isn't too efficient.

Before I go further, I'll like to restate the purpose of having the pilot academy. Previously, in Seed RPG, we had players who could barely RP battle properly. However, they had a free reign in their Mobile Weapons and stirred up some problem. You might remember the kid who could dodge point blank shots and escape unharmed, and then turn around and shoot point blank at his assailant. With that in mind, we decided to screen the players who should be given mobile weapons. Those that fail to pass the screening would have to stay in the academy and learn the ropes of battle RPing until they are good enough to graduate.

The current system that we have is to RP in the pilot academy. Faction leaders would have to choose a number of members, depending on the supervising staff available in the academy, to participate in the academy. The limitation in the number of candidates available each school term stemmed from the concern that the people supervising the academy would be unable to handle too large a class. The problem we have with this is going through some pointless RPing which might take longer than in necessary.

Therefore, I wish to suggest a new system to obtain a Mobile Weapons Piloting License. Players who wish to register for a license would have to battle at least twice in the Coliseum and have at least 20 good RP posts. And after they have completed the battle, they can then proceed to to register for the MWPL.

Players making an application would then need to fill in a form such as follows:

Name:

Faction:

Reference battle #1:

Reference battle #2:

The rank is a necessary entry some factions have ranks that involve non-piloting duties and the issue of MPWL would be determined by that, at least partly.

The reference battles would be the battles they fought in the Coliseum. They could always battle more than once and submit what they feel are the best battles as references for their application. Players would need to keep in mind that their battles would be the basis used to judge whether they qualify for the MPWL.

Factions would still have to pay for each MPWL application. Thus, it is still up to the faction leader who they wish to send in for registration. The criteria for that would be determined by the faction leader.

Please provide feedback regarding this issue. There are some people who have gone through the hassle of the current system and might not wish to switch to the new system. Some might think that it is unfair for us to make a change now. Whatever it is, just voice your opinions here.

So as I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong), this new system essentially does away with the pilot academy and instead requires coliseum battles and in-game RP posts to judge whether or not the player in question is qualified for a license.

If I understand it correctly, then I rather like the idea. As it stands, the PA threads seem to take quite a while, and even the people currently in the Academy probably wouldn't get a license for a while, let alone the people who are still waiting to get in. It also forces the players to show that they can make good RP posts both outside and inside of a mobile weapon.

In short, I'm in favor.

Accordingly, then, will the pilot academy thread be scrapped?

I quite like the idea, since there are plenty of people role playing in the coliseum as opposed to being chosen. Apparently how long some people take to post can pose a problem to other pilot prospects.Unfortunate for some, who might be away for days, but since it caters to the majority, I'm for it as well.

Just make an announcement or something.

I like this idea too however i gotta wonder what will happen to the existing academy? is it one or the other for the people already participating there? or can we just go with whatever happens first? (completing the academy or doing the coliseum) Also is it possible then that the coliseum is fully prepared for an increase in participants? I mean I thought you were still looking for new referees? wouldn't that lead to problems?

We share the concern regarding the people already participating in the academy thread. Hence, this thread was set up to give us an idea of what you people feel.

The pilot academy threads will be closed, should we decide to proceed with the changes proposed above.

We are in need of volunteers who are willing to help us out with the Coliseum. Referees generally do not have to intervene in battles unless there's a point of contention. Their job is to come in at the end of the battle and tally the points.

Well, if it has come to this, at least give the ones in the Academy some kind of head-start, it's tiring having to wait for days only to know that it won't happen the way anyway liked.

That, and there is people who RP in the Coliseum more than off-MSes.

Talon: Well, any member can RP can battle in the Coliseum, it's not a new idea. But not many people seem to want to use it.

kct: What kind of a head start would that be?

I don't know, maybe not a head start (I can't think of anything feasible), but we should use the Destiny League participants as a gauge in measuring what we need to see in-MS battles.

Edited by Guest

Would it be possible for anyone to just do a couple pages of writing in lieu of the normal battles? Only reason I ask is that due to the Destiny League, I'm stuck waiting for my match to start, and only three of six people have signed in to my particular match.

Well if we're looking for a headstart to give those that already spent time and energy in the academy, perhaps we could use their RP posts in the academy as a replacement for one of their reference battles?

Well, we haven't have any battle posts in the academy yet. 

Would it be possible for anyone to just do a couple pages of writing in lieu of the normal battles? Only reason I ask is that due to the Destiny League, I'm stuck waiting for my match to start, and only three of six people have signed in to my particular match.

This can be any battles, it doesn't have to be a match. It can be a simple one-on-one duel.

I was talking more about their academy posts in general.  In my opinion, a MW license shouldn't be judged on combat ability alone.  Think of a MW as a giant gun (most of us already think that anyway ), Gun licenses are issued to ensure that the people who have them know how to use them, as well as know when to use them; so stuff like criminal records and age are usually brought into question when applying for a gun license.  I would rather see a well structured and all around good RP'er be allowed a MS, and not just the ones who know how to write a good fight scene.

Kaizer: I believe that's what the approval process by us Faction Leaders to apply for a MWPL is for.  While members have to submit a reference battle, they also need the approval of their respective Leaders, who judge them based on the main RP and other forms of participation.

(Correct me if I'm wrong though. .>" title="" /> )

I apologize for the delay. I'm still in the midst of trying to get things back on track. I only get two hours or so of free time per day and most of that time is spent on researching on drug information.

Work in a hospital is a tough. I'll try to get things worked out as soon as I can