An Officer's Meeting

fireminerva

With his squad falling out Ahrend had turned his back on them and slunk back into the briefing room.  As he entered the coolness of the room he relaxed and suddenly felt much older than he had a few minutes ago.  Even though he was still young, by many standards, he could feel time slowly creeping up on him and Ahrend knew that in a few more years it would be time to consider other occupations, especially ones that would do more to ensure his longevity.

Sinking down into one of the cushioned chairs in the room Ahrend let his officer's "face" fade away, after all both he and Laike were officers and if he couldn't even be frank with his executive officer then he would be in real trouble.  Leaning back Ahrend closed his eyes knowing that it would only be a few more seconds before Rinawan came through the door.

Laike made his way back to the briefing room, knowing that the commander had mad his way back to the briefing room.As he approached the door he was glad to be going back into the air conditioned room, even though the heat didn't seem to affect him as badly as it did on his arrival.

He knocked on the door before he entered.He shut the door again and took a seat in the air conditioned briefing room.He noticed the chair felt more comfortable this time but that was probably because he was more relaxed now that the squad meeting was over.He didn't know what to say so he just said the first thing that came to mind."You wanted to see me sir?"hoping that he wasn't in some kind of trouble.

Edited by Guest

"Yes," Ahrend said as he lifted his head and looked Laike in the eyes, "I had wanted to talk to you about your first impression on the squad and also on your roles as Flight Lieutenant and Fire-team leader."

It was short, it was sweet, and Ahrend wanted to hit this and leave as quickly and efficiently as possible.  At the same time he wanted to pick the mind of his second and to see what the young man was made of.

"Well, why don't you start with your impressions of me and then move onto the squad.  Please be honest as you share your opinions."

"I thought you were well organized and skilled as any commander should be although if I hadn't known better, I probably would of thought you were rather easy going.I actually think that some of the other squad members might have gotten that impression though.I guess you could say I was expecting you to be tougher on us particularly because we are only novices."Laike was hoping this wouldn't cost him his job and decided to move onto the other members

"Now about the other 3 members of the squad.I think Mr. Wyeth is quite determined and independent although I say he will work well in this team if he has to.I'd say he's probably the only one out of the three expecting some sort of challenge whether its the training missions or what comes next after them.Mr.Zaiku, well there's not much he said to make an impression of or anything he did.He seems to be the least skilled though, but that could just be due how quiet he was.I doubt he'll do anything but be a good soldier unlike Mr.Rhine."he never usually liked saying this about a team mate but he knew it had to be said

"I think Mr.Rhine is going to make it harder for the team, as from what I have seen of him.He doesn't seem to treat his commanding officers or squad members with much respect, only enough to keep his position.He obviously thinks he is rather skilled otherwise he wouldn't treat his commanding officers and squad members that way.I hope I haven't said anything that you would find offensive, sir."there he had said everything about his team mates and hoped he wouldn't have to say anymore about the impressions he had gotten from them.

Edited by Guest

"I'd have to say that I agree with you in regards to your observations about the members of our squad.  I would have taken Rhine as my own wingman except that I won't be able to keep an eye on him during a battle, where as you and Zaiku will have more opportunities than I will; I'm sure that you'll be up to the challenge."  For a moment Ahrend let his words hang in the air before moving onto Laike's evaluation of the meeting.

"You're also right about how I approached everyone at the meeting, but quite frankly I'm in no position to bring down the hammer, especially right now.  As time moves on you and I might start working on some of them, especially Rhine, but today was only supposed to be introductions and I wanted to keep it that way."  Standing up Ahrend leaned back against the wall behind him so that he was now on eye level with his XO.

"As my executive officer I am going to expect the most from you.  I will push you harder than the other members of this squad but I want to make sure that you understand why I'm doing it."  Shifting his weight so that he was now standing up Ahrend changed his tone of voice slightly to match his more formal position.  "If something were even to happen to me or if you're ever given command of a squad of your own the pilots under you will look to you and so you must set the example.  If you show them the way Lieutenant Rinawan I'm sure that they'll follow you."  In short this was a test of the new Lieutenant leadership skills.  Ahrend always wanted to know what kind of man was working for him and whether or not he could be counted on; and so he now hoped that Laike would take this as a challenge, one which he would rise to meet.

"Aside from that I have nothing else to add and we should go get some chow, unless there's anything you want to bring up."

OOC:sorry if this post seems a little short, I didn't have much time to write it.

IC:"I was well aware of that sir when I got this position, that it was not going to be easy being second in command of this squad.I assure you that even though I am the youngest on the team and although I am probably on of the least experienced, I am prepared for anything that may happen whether good or bad.I learned that before I even joined ZAFT but I suppose it can be expected when you have a ZAFT veteran as a father.I promise you that I’ll do my best whether its on or off the battlefield."Laike stood up with a look of determination in his eyes and began to continue on to answer the commander’s other question as he knew the commander might have more important matters  to attend to.

"As for other issues to do with the squad there's no other issues at this current time and I highly doubt that there won’t be any more issues until at least the training missions start.If there are any problems at the training I am sure it will probably have something to do with Mr.Rhine’s attitude.” Laike began to feel hungry now as his stomach growled.He had not eaten anything since early this morning and even then it was very little to eat. "Now lets go and get something to eat, I’m hungry, aren’t you, sir?"

Edited by Guest