ZAFT's Annual Dinner and Dance

hannahkiki

"Wha-? Oh, Landis. Christoph left just after you went." The sudden rise and fall of eyebrows and the nonchalant expression told him that Asahi chose not to ask too many questions about where Christoph was going. A disagreeable trait with a strict officer who lived, ate and drank the military meal set, but Landis was here to relax, not here to make enemies. It was, in fact, one thing he will come to like about this man.

"I suppose Christoph wanted some fresh air, he should be out on the balcony." His hand went up to his eyes but it stopped halfway, complemented by an awkward grin to cover up a mistake derived from a habitual action. He nodded back in reply and simply sat down, choosing to ignore the little error that occurred.

What Christoph had been doing, Landis had no idea, but neither would he fuss himself thinking about it. His relatively new acquaintance was completely capable of handling himself, though he had slight doubts about his abilities to take on people exceptionally gifted in the gab or women.

Nah, that's just me... He smiled, amused at his comparison of his own weaknesses to others and swooped in to take more food from the platters.

"I would like to make it known, He looked up, sipping his wine in the process. to those who have not already found out; That the Soldiers of Fire have in fact arrived here tonight, lead by Commander Xavi Romero"

Hell, like I care...I already suspected it anyway. He smiled at the straightforwardness of what one would consider a surbodinate of Commander Romero. Although he meant no real offense, Landis could not help but think of a greenhorn.

"Sheesh, those mercenaries think they're all that. Only my opinion though, what're your thoughts on the Soldiers of Fire eh?" He turned to Asahi and smiled mildly. It was not unusual to hear people voicing out similar opinions such as that. After all, who would want to tolerate hearing such brusque and direct words, especially when it borders on being rude in the hosts' abode?

"I believe he is simply being overzealous. No real harm done, save for one or two sauce-y pants." He remarked dryly, referring to the next table where the announcement had caused a regal-looking man to spill his plate of sauce-ladened buttered tiger prawns and cursing at the moment. "Besides, I'm more interested in the two leading actresses for today." He shifted his gaze lazily back to them and genuinely wondered what they were talking about.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking around, Dimitri noticed that his little "announcement" hadn't gone over so well as he hoped. He hadn't expected a standing ovation or anything like it, but he hadn't expected to get some glaring stares. It was understandable from the guy who dropped his prawns in his lap, but he was getting a few more degrees towards the hatred side than he had anticipated. Maybe this was why the tech guys were never invited to these shindigs. It wasn't like he was horrible when it came to speaking, but these people expected flowery, almost poetic speech. Either that, or they expected something along the lines of a bishonen or super-cute girl to make announcements.

He just hadn't been raised for this kind of thing.

Standing off towards a lesser looked-upon area, trying to avoid getting any sort of confrontation, he held his right hand up to his mouth and began to scrape his upper teeth along the top his first knuckle. It was a nervous habit, he had to chew on things in high-tension moments, either that or he had to have his hands busy. Unfortunately, bringing a Gameboy would have been incredibly rude. Even he knew that.

"Hello there. I'm actually rather glad you made that announcement just now, as I hadn't noticed your arrival. My fault for being otherwise occupied, I suppose. I'm Brian Tsukamoto. Nice to meet you."

Dimitri's eyes immediately focused on the man who'd come up to him with that statement. He was actually kind of glad things hadn't started off with a glove to the face. Though a duel would certainly make things more interesting. Food and talk only went so far with him. He needed action, not necessarily violent or accompanied with 8-bit sound effects, just something to do other than tire out his jaw. "Thank you. You're probably the only one who doesn't want me thrown out now. I suppose the commander is going to kill me now..." He gave a sheepish grin, shrugging his shoulders. "My name is Dimitri Shirokov. A pleasure." Taking the man's hand, he gave it a firm shake. That same look of embarrassment stayed on hi face though. Things had certainly gone in an awkward direction since his interruption.

Taking another shot, James needed to find a way to loose this girl and get back to her friend.  The shot went down hard, James closed his eyes.  He was done, the buffoon level was coming up.

"If I may have your attention please..."

Came over the PA.  James saw this as a opportunity.  The girl looked up at the man on stage.  Getting of his stul, James ran back to the table he was at earlier.

The girl was there, she looked beautiful.  Or at least James thought she was.

"Ok, I'm back ladies."

As Hitomi sat and talked with Christoph she paused and listened to the announcement being made regarding the Soldiers of Fire.  It was of little surprise to her that they were here, after all someone in the Intelligence Sector had to be aware of who was coming to visit the PLANT, but the manner in which the announcement was made took her back a bit.

The speaker seemed to lack a certain... finesse which one would expect when introducing guests of that nature, still... the lack of respect given by the general guests didn't help.

OOC: Sorry for taking so long on this. Dad decided Memorial Day weekend was a perfect time to plan a truckload of work for us.

IC: Brian's initial take on Dimitri was extremely contradictory, and he honestly didn't know what to think. The man hadn't seemed that nervous when he made his announcement, at least not to Brian. Yet after he had finished, he had moved to a more secluded area and had looked to be biting his knuckle, which Brian took as a sign of nervousness. Dimitri's body language expanded on this observation, but the handshake he received was that of a more confident individual. At this point, Brian was confused. Confused, and quite curious. This Dimitri seemed to be a rather unique person. He certainly didn't fit Brian's general vision of professional mercenaries.

"Oh, I don't know about that. As I said, less attentive folks like me needed the wake-up call, and it certainly broke the tedium of the whole thing. I don't know about you, but the whole thing was beginning to drag on me. I don't know any ladies to dance with, and food doesn't really hold your attention once you've eaten some. Truth be told, I was giving serious consideration to taking off before you took the stage. Might still do that later on."

Brian moved to stand next to Dimitri as he talked, looking out on the room with a small grin (born of amusement at himself) on his face. He knew that some of the attendees had been anticipating this event for some time, and he frankly couldn't see why. Maybe last year's had been a little more exciting. Or maybe those people were just plain boring. Looking out at the crowd, he felt it was definitely more of the latter than the former.

"Still thinking about ditching, eh? Sounds good to me. I've never been good at these so-called 'high-society' events. Basically just a chance to show off trophy wives and brag about being moved from one paper-pushing job to another, just with slightly higher pay. Rather be at the arcade myself. Or worse yet, I'd rather go jump in front of a bus than stay here. But... Got to back up the Commander, make sure he gets the attention and respect the Soldiers deserve. So if you go, I won't be with you. But I'd certainly wish I was with ya." Dimitri looked out on the crowd, looking almost like he was in disgust. So many people, and all of them there for seemingly no reason other than it was the ZAFT annual.

"ZAFT, huh? Home of the Coordinators... Genetically superior, yet they can't even throw a better party than a bunch of stuffy Naturals..." He looked over at Brian and gave a apologetic grin and shrug. "Didn't mean to offend or anything, I tend to speak in broad generalizations. Still... Really wish I hadn't been brought along. This place annoys me to no end..."

((Sorry for the delay, and the shortness. No excuse other than lack of motivation.))

"I believe he is simply being overzealous. No real harm done, save for one or two sauce-y pants. Besides, I'm more interested in the two leading actresses for today." Asahi noticed Landis had his eye on Ms Schnider and the chairwoman for awhile, and judging from his expression, he assumed Landis was particularly serious about the two "leading actressess". Too bad he didn't have much of an opinion on their chairwoman. Asahi followed his comrade's gaze, and saw that Ms Schnider was indeed striking a conversation with the chairwoman, as she prepared to sit down at their table.

Asahi himself was particularly puzzled, he wasn't much into politics, and if there was a simple way to put it, he considered himself a lowly grunt. But this drove him to want to become more sophisticated, and be able to make intelligent conversation. He replied to Landis, forming his opinion:

" I feel that Ms Schnider knows what she's doing, especially during the Orb Parade. But I've yet to be able to judge Ms Apel... he hesitated, he had embarrassingly forgotten her name. "-the chairwoman's ability to lead our country. But right now, since the Soldiers of Fire are here, the chairwoman, or Ms Schnider, or whomever invited them, probably have something in store for them. Who knows. Politically speaking, they might be aiming for their support, or something... he put down his fork, and reached for his drink, downing the last trickle of liquid. He genuinely wondered what the mercenaries were her for, and what trump card the chairwoman would pull. There had to be cause for the mercenaries, but there were several possibilities and Asahi didn't have any evidence to sway his opinion. The more he thought about it, the more he anticipated something from the end of the night.

OOC: Sorry for taking so long to reply. XP

While waiting for Delfina to reply, Sandrilene looked around the room, in hope that she would appear soon. She didn't know how long she have to talk to her before some of the council members notice. She only spotted a few around, and the rest who usually like to give her trouble had a reputation of being fashionably late. Right now, Sandrilene hope they will take their own sweet time to come.

After talking to Delfina, Sandrilene hoped to talk to the SoF representative too. This is a good time to try to get some sort of agreement. Sandrilene hated war, but the possibility of it occurring exists. If it happens, ZAFT can make up for what they lack in numbers with their weapons, but there is only so much they can make up for it. Thus, who knows if they would require SoF's services?

Soon, Delfina appeared, much to Sandrilene's delight. “It’s a pleasure for you to invite me to sit with you councilwoman Apfelsine.”

"The pleasure is all mine, Delfina," Sandrilene stood up and offered a seat to her. "I must really apologise for leaving without a word at Orb, it must have been an awkward situation for you. Please allow me to explain what happened while we dine." Sandrilene said, and motioned for a waiter nearby to serve the food.

Delfina took a seat across from the chairwoman. She set her purse down on the edge of the table, and let out a soft smile. "I would be very intrigued in that story chairwoman." The waiter moved in and set down the meal on the place mat. "I hope you love it, ma'am." Delfina returned with a thankful nod, and started to undo her napkin. She placed it lightly on her lap, and moved her silverware about. "Its remarkable that the Soldiers of Fire came, I wonder what type of person leads such a group of odd personnel."

She stared around the room, the commander was still unable to find anyone she knew, except for the chairwomen Ferinnas, and Sandrilene. Delfina sat there waiting for who else would pop up to dine at this table. With the soldiers of fire here, it most likely would end up with Sandrilene meeting or at least greeting their leader. Delfina was somewhat halfway on the idea of associating with the SoF. After-all her pride was conflicting with the idea of working alongside a mercenary, who would pose as a friend and turn his weapons to you when paid more by the opposing force.

James stopped the drinks about a half hour ago...So that put him at drunk.  Sitting down at the table he looked at the three women in front of him.  Pushing off the table to stand up, his pressure almost knocked the table over.  The loud ring of silverwear jumped and landed back on the table.  Luckily nothing was broke or spilt.  James heard the girl giggling at him, he also felt the stares of people looking at him.

"Excuse me ladies.  I must take a visit to the men's room." James said as he began to look around for the 'Restroom" sign.  After he spotted it he began to walk.  Walking was kind of easy for him at the moment.

Walking down the corridor he saw the picture of the blue man.  Smashing the door open with his right hand, James made his way into the bathroom.  Leaning over the bathroom sink he let out all of his liquor. 

Oh, man. James said to himself as he spit out what was left in his mouth.  Drinking the water from the sink he swished it in his mouth then spit again.

Feeling much better James walked back to the table. 

"So ladies, where were we?"

OOC: Blarg. Sorry about the delay, Dimitri. Had a huge case of writer's block on this one.

IC: Dimitri's comment, unexpected as it was, sent Brian into a quick laughing fit. It didn't last too long, but Brian found the comment, combined with his own boredom, downright hilarious.

"Not... not offended at all." Brian fought down a resurgent wave of chuckles as he answered. "It's absolutely true. I can only suppose the whole "Work hard, play hard" mindset has yet to migrate to the PLANTs. Hopefully it'll come before too long."

Brian glanced back in the direction he'd last seen Christoph in. Sure enough, he was still there. "As for leaving, I don't think I'll skip out quite yet. One of my comrades seems to have met a lady friend, and I'd like to have enough info to give him a bit of a hard time. Not now, of course. I'm not that mean. But I'd like to poke a little fun later. After all, what are friends for?"

Brian's mouth stretched out in a evil-looking grin as he said this last part. As the grin wore off, though, Brian looked downward in thought for a moment. When he looked back up, a look of melancholy had appeared. "Well, as much as I hate to say it, I probably better go talk to some people. I don't much want to, but my superiors might appreciate the effort and the look of "not wasting the opportunity". Although, I suppose since I am from Orb, it probably isn't a bad idea. Still a pain, though." ((The part in quotations is said with a decidedly sarcastic tone.))

Brian sighed deeply as he thought about going around and making small talk with everybody. The thought nearly made him gag. "Stupid desk jockeys", he muttered under his breath.

"Well, I guess I'll catch you later. Don't let all these high-profile types rub off on you too much."

Brian began walking off toward the table he had originally been sitting at, hoping to grab a drink before starting to chat his way to insanity.

Delfina sat down opposite Sandrilene, and said, "I would be very intrigued in that story chairwoman." The waiter came over with the food, and Sandrilene decided to wait till he's done to continue. Delfina however, commented, "Its remarkable that the Soldiers of Fire came, I wonder what type of person leads such a group of odd  personnel."

Sandrilene waited till the waiter was gone, moved her food her a little till she's satisfied everything is in order, and continued, "They are here at my invitation. I wanted to talk to their leader, Xavi Romero. I shall be inviting him over later, so if you wish to stay you can."

Sandrilene paused to take a bite of her chicken, and continued, "I had no intention of revealing myself at Orb, I was over there as a civilian, as I wanted to observe the proceedings of the parade from the view of an outsider. However, the council members would not be too happy if they knew about it, they think there are certain rules a Chairperson must follow," Sandrilene forced a smile from her face. "Thus, since there was no need for me to show myself earlier than I had to, I decided not to. I realised that I should have informed you beforehand." Sandrilene gave a small sigh. "I guess there is much for me to learn."

Edited by Guest

Delfina picked up her glass of wine, and swished it around in her hand. Her eyes were fixated at the alcoholic beverage while it swirled around the sides of the elaborate glass. It was of fine quality, the crystal seemed to sparkle in the artificial light. She raised the glass to her lips, and took a sip tasting the wine. It was unique taste, and flavor, the wine could have been vintage or  perhaps even a new product. "I see, that is quite the story chairwoman. We both are new to our fields; I hope that we both perform them with utmost proficiency."

She lowered her glass, a bit of her lipstick was on the tip of the crystal brim. Her vibrant eyes stared at it for a moment, but turned her gaze back to Sandrilene. "Xavi Romero, such an odd name I might say, but it would prove to be very exciting to see the esteemed leader...." Delfina paused for a moment, and turned her gaze away. "So we can see what type of person he is, and if a person like him could be trusted, if we do intend on hiring members of that group in the future." She continued to look out at the dancers, while crossing her legs one over the other. The slit in her dress moved up, showing a little bit more of her upper leg. She looked radiant while panning through the crowd. "Or, is your interest in this Xavi more private than related to Plant?" Her eyes turned back over, giving Sandrilene a playful stare while a smile forming across her face. 

It seemed as though Christoph had lost interest and so, after politely excusing herself, Hitomi slipped away from the table intent on finding someone else to spend the evening with.  As she weaved through the tables her steps led towards the orchestra and so she paused to take time to admire the skill of the performers.

Each diligently practiced his or her craft, lending their skills to the music that formed around them.  In a way it reflected the way the PLANTS worked as each individual made sacrifices in order to create a larger more perfect community.

Hitomi sighed as she watched, though beautiful the music would come to an end soon.  The night was winding down and it became obvious as the lights in the room dimmed a bit in order to provide a more relaxed atmosphere.