Re: Football fans

Valiant

I wonder how many of us here watches football?

I mean real football not American football

This is meant for discussion, not for bashing so please do not say things like "Man Utd sucks" even if you feel as passionately as me about it.

I'm a long time supporter of Liverpool FC and Real Madrid.

I'm saddened to see both team slump in form, given the star studded line up in Madrid and the promising buys over at Anfield.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did do pretty well, but we did kind of avoid the hoolagans as well. Hurray for an unmarked bus. I find Futball fans, the most extreme fans for a sport. I'm glad that we dont have that here in USA. Closest we get are drunk people who get tossed out for shoving.

Valerian: I guess we're rivals in some ways then

kct: This goes to show you don't really follow them well enough I would attribute the slump in form to a combination of two reasons: injuries to key players and the need for new players to settle into the manager's game plan as well as the playing style in England. It usually takes them about a season or so before they start to shine. Take Sheva for example, he isn't banging in goals like he did back in AC Milan but he's slowly finding his feet.

The Champion's League win was a plus, but it's just the start of Benitez's tenure as manager and of course he would need time to make a team of his own. He had to offload players from Houllier's era and instil his strategy and playing philosophy in his players. All these take time. The CL win was something made out of the belief in the players. They matched that with an FA cup win. It is still early in the season so I'm not too worried about their form.

I'm more perturbed by the poor showing from Real Madrid. They have stars in all departments and yet they aren't exactly playing with the authority of the days when they reigned supreme.

Real Madrid certainly hasn't been performing as expected of their Galacticos tag, but I think they are slowly recovering some lost form and are generally better in the last two years.

I'm more concerned about West Ham. They look like they are simply going to crumble from internal pressure alone, not including the fact that they haven't won a game for 13 matches.

For me, Liverpool was never convincing. The only thing consistent so far is their inconsistency when faced with different teams. Gerrard hasn't particularly shone, though Kuyt's showing some promise. Hopefully they will find their feet soon. Chelsea's in a bit of a goalie crisis, no? At least Hilario seems to be performing quite well though.

They spent much less that what Tevez and Mascherano should cost. So West Ham should be glad but then again that might be the reason for their lack of hunger to play well.

Liverpool has not be consistent. That much I agree. But I believe this inconsistency is due to the constant squad rotation. I do not hate the squad rotation policy, unlike some fans and many critics who are slamming Benitez for that. The rotation policy is a good way for the new players and the old players to get to know each other's style of play and help the new players settle down faster. So I will only make a verdict at the end of the season.

It's quite strange with English fans sometimes, though I guess it's normal for them to have doubts. I'm certain Benitez's credentials with Valencia should give him at least a small amount of the benefit of doubt when it comes to his tactics. Squad rotation in this sense would be a way of testing which kind of formation/tactics/players complement each other well, I suppose.

As for Tevez and Mascherano...I'm beginning to wonder if they really ever really wanted to join West Ham at all, or whether it was a preordained move, a point at which they can settle into English football and join some big club next season...

Well there were talks of a possible take over at West Ham. Nevertheless all these controvesies have knocked them off course. Looking at them now, you wouldn't think that they almost beat Liverpool for the FA Cup and finished the league ninth (I didn't check, just off the top of my head so don't kill me if I got it wrong)

I'm sure all the Red fans are behind Benitez in this. The reception he got from the Kop for last night's match is testimony to that.

Well there were talks of a possible take over at West Ham. Nevertheless all these controvesies have knocked them off course. Looking at them now, you wouldn't think that they almost beat Liverpool for the FA Cup and finished the league ninth

Nope, you're right. West Ham lost by a goal, and I'm not certain if it was 3-2 or 4-3.

Pretty reassuring that the Reds fans have seemingly rallied behind Rafa. Right now his main concern would be to bring the Reds back up among the top few.

Speaking of which, Bolton's third. I guess Sam Allardyrce hasn't lost any of his magic yet.

I was referring to the league standings

It was a thrilling 4-3 win for Liverpool <3

Bolton are a good team but it's still early in the season and you can't be sure if they'll stay there long, especially if they meet the big teams.

And I groaned so bad when I saw the results for last night's match. Rooney hit a hattrick. Blargh.

Can't blame 'im. If anything, I would think to praise Rooney from bouncing back from all those negative vibes from the media about his life and his form. I still think Cristiano Ronaldo is currently one of the best Man Utd players, though-And one of my favorite.

At least Bolton's still lying at third, and I'm pleasantly surprised and pleased by that.

Actually, to tell the truth, I don't really support any clubs right now, not even Barcelona, Chelsea or Halifax for that matter. (Okay, the last team was a little off, but hell, it just means I don't really lean towards any team...yet.) If I was to consider which team would interest me the most, I would say Liverpool, Arsenal and Bolton for the EPL, and Real Madrid as well as Villareal from the Primera Liga.