Re: Football fans

Valiant

Not exactly. They have a good blend of players. I just didn't like them selling Figo, Solari, Cambiasso. They were all good players. Their mistake was to buy Beckham to boost sales and recognition in Asia. It was a choice between Becks and Ronaldinho and it's clear they made the wrong choice.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were a few decisions that didn't go well with me either. Owen was their top scorer two seasons ago, and what did they do? Sell him. Robinho hasn't been performing as expected, and Julio Baptista is loaned out to Arsenal.

At least Fabio Capello's in to make things slightly better. Hopefully he can last out the season even if he were to see a bad string of results.

Hmm... My first favourite was (and he still is one of the faves) Fowler. He was at his prime. After that I watched Real Madrid play in the 2000 Champions League Final against Valencia, I started to idolise Morientes and Raul. I think they form a great partnership and it was sad to see them part. Morientes enjoyed his best form (in my opinion) in Madrid. The most memorable was him scoring 5 goals in a match.

After the arrival of Ronaldo and see his magic rekindled, he became on of my favourites as well. And oh, Zidane! Zizou's a delight to watch. McManaman was a favourite of mine as well, both in Liverpool and in Madrid. And boy, he's gained quite a bit of weight after his retirement

Owen was a favourite of mine and it is sad to see him go, even if it to a team I support. I was obvious that he would not survive there for long.

Of the current Liverpool team, I think they are all great. I love Alonso's great passes and the amazing goals. Momo's a jewel in the midfield. He's one of our best finds in recent times. Riise is inevitably a favourite with his fierce drives and penetrating overlapping runs. Crouch with his great techniques. Gonzalez is yet another delight to watch. He had a great spell at Sociedad and I hope he will settle down soon and start to play at that level again. I have always admired Bellamy's goal scoring ability and I'm glad to see him here, despite the bad press about him. Dudek is our hero in Istanbul and clown several times but he's still a great keeper nonetheless. He's got attitude

Garcia's a delight to watch. I love his trickery. And two goals this morning for him! Yay! Hyppia was a great captain and still an integral part of the team. I have utmost respect for him. Carra has improved tremendously and he's another special player in Anfield. And Gerrard. What can I say? Captain Magnificent. Great leader, great crosser, great passer. Immense loyalty to the club. Go Stevie G!

As for Real Madrid, Robinho has impressed since he arrived but his form has dipped but he's still a joy to watch. Cannavaro has always been a defender I admired so I'm glad to see him in the white strip.

Alright I guess there's no single favourite player. I like all the players in the teams I support. Hmm... there's also Ronaldinho. Gotta love the rabbit-toothed wizard eh?

I thought Cristiano Ronaldo was pretty brilliant in the WC 2006 as well as Zizou and van Persie. They were literally the few who actually shone when their own teams lagged in the offensive department.

My favorites? The first name which comes to mind is Dennis Bergkamp. He's got to be the greatest playmaker during his time with all his passes of precision and magic with ball control. Don't think anyone would disagree with a title of 'wizard' for him.

Believe it or not, Paulo di Canio's also one of my favs. He certainly does have a interesting personality, evident from his run-ins with some referees, but his skill is certainly not compromised in that, unlike some other players....

Makelele was great too. He was really solid in midfield and hardly looked like he would lose the ball any moment whenever an opponent came to engage him. Of course, the one that sparked my craze about attacking defenders: Roberto Carlos. With little elaboration on his Thunder Thighs, I thought he was one of the fittest players I've seen, being able to run tirelessly for the whole match up and down the flanks.

As for goalies, Shay Given is on my number 1 list. His performances were what kept Newcastle from conceding a lot more goals thanks to the bumbling two last season (Titus Bramble and Jean Alain Boumsong). Schemichel gets my thumbs up too, for his influence and indomitable presence on the field. Cech may be pretty good currently, but he certainly hasn't earned my complete admiration yet.  

Yes, Makelele is great and I was surprised they let him go. Roberto Carlos was great but I think age his catching up with him. I love his cheeky grins when he scores.

For the World Cup, I think Schweinsteiger and Podolski did well. They were a delight to watch

As for keepers, I consider Buffon as the best and his loyalty to Juve has further increased his popularity

And I thought Jurgen Klinsmann was probably the most successful manager in WC 2006. One of the youngest coaches to boot, and he's taken them to the semis already.

Which reminds me...I never did like Italy in the World Cup. That doesn't mean I hate all their players, though.

It was sad to see good teams not making it through. I thought Argentina played great...

They played very well indeed. Curse them and their last minute training for penalties. Pekerman certainly pulled off a surprise there, though. Tevez and Messi were delightful to watch especially. I can't get the image of a cheeky run by Messi to slot in the last goal in the slaughtering of Croatia...(Or was it some other country? I can't remember already...)

Yes, Tevez and Messi are among my favourites and how about that great goal Mascherano scored! Woot!

Speaking of those goals from runs, Lahm scored a good one too!

Oh do you play FM by the way? I'm quite an FM addict.

Wind, Liverpool has the pride of Australia playing for them Harry Kewell. I think he's the best from the current Socceroo team.

I thought Tim Cahill proved his worth well too, on both international and club levels. Mark Schwarzer was pretty impressive too. (Note that I always take notice of goalies and defenders first most of the time.)

I've played FM as well as CM before, but I certainly haven't touched either game for a very long time.

Hmm...Usually I tweak them too when I play FM, but I'd play offensive football when I take the bigger teams. For the smaller ones, I go with defensive counter.

Of course, they fail some of the time though. It depends on what team I'm playing against as well as the tactics they use too.

I love fooling around with the formations though, especially when my team's in a comfortable position. Another formation I like would be the diamond, or a simply 4-4-2 with the wingers instructed to run up the flanks for crosses or forward runs.

It's irritating when refereeing decisions don't go your way, though. You can be attacking like mad and on the verge of scoring and suddenly, 'Poof!', he pulls out a red so suddenly for some reason and your team is suddenly on the losing side. Disadvantage to AI, I guess.