Re: Disco Guns

Valiant

Heh, the disco guns. I still remember one of the first episodes of SEED I watched was the one where Athrun and Cagalli were stranded on the island together. For a couple weeks, I really thought the guns were supposed to be like that. Fortunately, I didn't really discuss the show with anyone, so I didn't get the opportunity to sound like an idiot.

I personally consider the disco guns to be one of the more ridiculous acts of censorship I've seen. I mean, I can understand the reason why one might think to censor the effects of the Cyclops system (what with the exploding bodies and all), but come on! It's a freakin' gun! What difference does it make if it fires "lasers" or bullets?

Well, that's "american censorship" for you)) Altough we, Russians, call this "american stupidity".

And as an American, I would agree whole heartedly. 

As for the censorship...yeah, made no sense considering that past Gundam series (the original, Wing, et al) had situations where guns were pointed at a variety of people.

@DD: I suppose it's because lasers are 'cleaner' than projectile weapons that blow out messy and bloody holes.  (See Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon.) :S

Thats the FCC for you, they want to edit everything, because their too conservative. Kids see guns in real-life on live-action tv shows, and movies. Yet, when it comes to anime/Cartoons, its a no-no. It did happen in Gundam Wing, they couldn't say "Kill" on day-time television. So it was changed to "Destroy"

When GS was on Cartoon network, at 1am...yes one in the morning. It was censored, with the "disco" guns. I laughed my hardest, out of how stupid it was. "Come on, its a gun in a fictional world. I don't think, just by watching Gundam Seed, a kid is going to grab a gun, and go do anti-semitic things." 

Which brings it to another theme, hurray for Dvds, and uncensored avi from torrents. 

Haha, I would never know. I don't watch dubs. Well, I briefly saw a One Piece episode on YTV once, where a character was threateningly pointing a harmless cork-gun at them. Oh wow, edits.

The most interesting one I've ever saw was a screencap of the German Naruto edit where they completely edited out Zabuza's massive sword. Yes, it looked like a stick.

LMAO I'm glad i didn't remember noticing that when i watched Seed on TV! although i will admit the disco gun looks awesome do you think this could be a standardized side arm for some of the military forces here! I think the childish side of Locke would appreciate a firearm that glows in the dark in such a stylish manner.

LMAO I'm glad i didn't remember noticing that when i watched Seed on TV! although i will admit the disco gun looks awesome do you think this could be a standardized side arm for some of the military forces here! I think the childish side of Locke would appreciate a firearm that glows in the dark in such a stylish manner.

I bet your enemies would appreciate that too

I never knew that such heavy editing takes place until I stumbled upon that article. If that's the way it is, the first thing they should do is to ban the production of toy guns 

Censorship or otherwise Disco Guns sure suck. Given that sometimes the dubbing already sucks on some of them they spoil the scenes by replacing the guns with those disco guns.

In the light of the recent school shooting just a few days ago this may seem to be the reason for all this censorship but even though these censorships have been done for quite some time now these killings are a manifestation that the use of Disco Guns were ineffective, to say the least. Using Disco Guns isn't a solution, there is a deeper and more troubling dilemma that causes these things that Disco Guns were supposed to hinder or stop (violence, that is...)

It's just more of America's hypocrisy regarding censorship.  They block stuff like this on "kid's" shows but they just let it rip on regular action/drama series and movies.  And it wouldn't matter anyway, given the large pro-gun people out there.  (Despite all the shootings as well, so I don't see that stance dying out anytime soon.)

This sort of censorship is less for protection as it is to try to block or mask people from seemingly inconvenient truths of society.

And yeah, that shooting was really messed up.  What I found 'funny' or at least eerie...was that I went there four years ago as a high school senior since I was considering going either there or several other universities.  And as an engineering major to boot.  (I think it was the engineering building that was the second location attacked and where the majority of the people were killed. :/ )

A day after the shooting, my dad called me over the phone and asked, "Hey...we went there before, right?"  "Yes."  "Jesus..."

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

speaking of disco guns, did anyone of you play Battle Zone?

It had guns called R.A.V.E Guns, when you had reapeting fire mode with them they hade a baseline like a rave tune and some other sounds reminding of a rave tune. ... abit offtopic maybe