A Soldier's Life

t569ssgoku

The city was silent as twilight fell upon the city. Janus stood, wearing his uniform under a black military issue jacket a few feet in front of the Januarius City Memento Stone, built by philanthropist and now council member Joseph Whilhelm. The fact was that Janus had just come from a meeting with said council member. A dozen blue roses were at the base of the statue dedicated to a very special captain in the Great War. Janus answered his cell phone the second it rang, “Good, so all four snipers are set up and we have a 1 mile blackout radius. It helps even though this is not a high traffic area at this time of night. Understand that none of you are to fire, even if they aim guns at me. Very good, thank you old friend.”

Janus clicked his cell phone and returned it to his pocket looking in the distance. The square was large enough of a park in the middle of a city. Janus had just walked in and introduced himself at Armory One, with little to no explanation. He had barely even had a chance to speak with any of the soldiers recently. He wanted to meet and speak with them formally but also wanted to see how they reacted under pressure. The commander seems a little soft. That’s all well and good, but I have to know I can fight at my full potential and not spend every second covering ofr them. Most likely should of asked the commander first. Janus laughed a little bit at the irony. He was making sure people his own age were competent soldiers where the closest Janus himself had come to death was nearly crashing a BABI in a live fire training exercise.

Looking up Janus spoke to himself, “Good, they are arriving. Lets see if they earned the uniform they were wearing.”