Blood and guts?

Vanguardian

Talk about realism made me wonder, how graphic can we get when someone gets wounded or killed (particularily by a blast)?  I mean, we are talking about war here and Gundam SEED has shown some bloody scenes, so what's the call?  Does this fall under the rule of "no explicit material without a warning label" or "inappropiate character interactions are not allowed" or something other?

An example of how far we should go would be most helpful.

Anything except saying '...and so his organs were exposed from the blast. The intestines were hanging from the ripped ribcage bones, with blood dripping down the body of the man'.

Means not 18+ material, you can say some cuts and such, but not ultraviolent stuff. Remember, not everyone here is over the age of 18.

If you are a parent, what would you not want your child to see?

As far as I know, we had a 9 or 10 year old kid around here a while back but he deleted his account. But most other people here are at least in their teens.

However, we shouldn't judge this by age. Please be nice to the ladies. I'm sure some of them can't stand gore. It is up to your judgement of course. If you think it is too overboard, throw in a tag to let the reader know before they view the thread. If you think it's ok and we think it's not, we'll put up the tag for you and you can adjust yourself accordingly in your future posts.

Val, you could have just said some "people" dont like it.  You didnt have to bring gender into it at all.

It's called "gentleman-ly"  I'm not saying you can't but there are some girls who can't

And I dare say there are some guys who dont like blood and stuff either.

Its not anything personal Val and im not a crusader for female rights but I dont think that in a roleplay site its right to raise any form of distinction between guys or gals.  there is just no need.  In this case it should be down to the individual to complain if they are offended.  Gender just should not matter.

I probably wouldn't post something like kct's example, but I still want to make sure about things, you know?  At some point in time I want to have my character see some atrocities commited and how it impacted her; but the whole question is how to make it convincing when I write it.  Death is a serious matter and I don't really want to gloss it over too much.

Without being too gritty, then, would saying that a body was decapitated or someone had a limb blown off be too much?  They had some of that in Gundam SEED, though they did edited for TV on the Cartoon Network.

I think a few setences mentioning blood and the like is okay. (Meaning no guts, intestines or what not...At least not in detail.) Just don't go into detail about what kind of injuries your character suffered and how they look like. The appeal doesn't necessarily lie with how graphic any possible violence we might come across while role playing, but with how you structure the posts and make such scenes 'exciting' instead of 'gory'.

Just use your better judgment when it comes to blood and guts, and remember the kinds of things that have been seen in SEED and SEED Destiny for an idea of how bad it can be.  I mean, we've had two ZAFT pilots get cut in two, and one from the EA (Orga, Nicol, Heine), we've seen Mayu's (Shinn's little sister) dismembered limbs I don't know how many times, and Yzak has had his face gashed open pretty nicely to boot.  Just try and be respectful to others about it (warning tags go a long way). 

In my personal roleplaying I do not try to 'prettify' anything I write, on the contrary, I tell about things as they are, or in this case, as I believe them to be. This does include a slight reference to a sexual act, some blood and gore and even downright description of a death of a character. Take Gundam SEED for example. When a character dies, the glass on the helmet shatters and the persons expression is rarely - if ever - shown. I don't do that.

In short I strive to absolute realism, even considering this is a fantasy world we play in.