Units per nations & Recon

Roromi

Me and Radrider were having a discussion on the IRC when we got to talking about the number of forces used. And while people would post the number of forces they send to attack there wasn't much consideration to the total ammount of forces that particular faction has. Say for example (i'm just making up numbers) the EA has 500 windams total for all its forces (say at the start of the RP) and each operation the EA uses about 150 then eventually the EA would run out of windams. and while on the old boards operations didn't have consecutive operations where that could really be a problem perhaps it would be wise to put some sort of unit limit on each faction and then over time (say each month) they're able to produce x ammount of unit.

That way though if an operation is deployed where a large ammount of units are involved then it would be more realistic because then there could only be  a certain ammount of units deployed elsewhere.

Another idea brewed up was recon where this time around players would be able to do recon and intelligence work to get official numbers on enemy activities. so like you could send a team of people to scout an enemy base and get an reply based on the quality of their work finding out how many units are stationed there and such and wether or not the enemy picked up on them. This could also promot more out of MS roleplaying as well.

Well those are my two cents worth of thinking today. i hope i gave you guys some food for thought hope there isn't anything i left out or something, that and i hope i'm not treading on grounds already put into consideration :p

I was thinking on the quality of the RP and by the actions they do. like if you have people simply observe a base from outside they could get a vague idea where as if you infilitrate the base and hack into their computers and such you would get better ideas. Of course it shouldn't be as simple as "joe sits outside the zaft base with his binoculars in camo and counts x ammount of units" but i think you guys get the picture. i think ultimately it could stimulate better activity since it also possibly forshadows actions taken by any faction

Yeah, it would be nice to have more recon work done in the RPs, unfortunately, those threads never last long (vaguely remembers trying to spy on Gibraltar during SEED RPG days).  Here's hoping that we'll get these things addressed properly this time around.  I personally will be trying to organize our troops better this time around, and hopefully it will work out better then my vague attempts to do so on the EA boards at SEED RPG 

Yeah, it would be nice to have more recon work done in the RPs, unfortunately, those threads never last long (vaguely remembers trying to spy on Gibraltar during SEED RPG days).  Here's hoping that we'll get these things addressed properly this time around.  I personally will be trying to organize our troops better this time around, and hopefully it will work out better then my vague attempts to do so on the EA boards at SEED RPG 

Yea, it never lasted long... actually, any RP thread with me never lasts long but lets not distract ourselves with my rubbish.

I agree with the Scout MSes and about number of units. I  remembered last time , on a attack on a ZAFT base, there were like almost infinite amount of MSes blasting each other(The amount stated was almost ignored and reinforcements suddenly appeared out of thin air)

I find myself really liking the idea of the whole recon work, even if you weren't using a MS/MA you could still do so. Introduce a special forces 'rank', like you see shortly in Destiny. Heck, I'd volunteer my character in an instant to do the ol' infiltrate and espionage gig.

Mal: Well, height in that case doesn't really matter, since it's not meant to reduce sensor profile like with stealth fighters.  The black paint job for the Recon GINN is primarily for space-use, though I understand why you'd address those particular issues.

Topic: I was thinking that any battle would have a set number of phases to allow the full use of intelligence.  Note, this was just something I thought up of, so it's probably lacking in detail/realism.

Phase 1: Basic intents - meaning what one side plans to do at a certain (enemy) area, such as 'Take over base' or 'Destroy Ship X.'

Phase 2: Initial Recon - Use of recon units, either suits or troops to scout the area in question.

Phase 3: Analysis/Detailed planning - Recon information is analysed and incorporated into the mission planning.

Phase 4: Pre-battle recon - A quick reconnaissance to relay up-to-date information for the main battle force.

Phase 5: Battle - ...enough said? xD

Phase 6: Outcome/Aftermath

Obviously, a number of future battles will be a bit more hectic and/or spontaneous, so such a formal guidelines would not apply.  Iono, just my two cents.

Edited by Guest