Re: GUNDAM

Mal Fain

Quite easily one of the most important questions I'll ever ask a member of this board and a big deal really for a RP based around the Seed/Destiny Gundam series, it's also, unfortunately, one of the harder questions to answer;

What is a Gundam? I was always under the impression it was simply an abbreviation of a word that appeared on the O.S of all MS in the Seed & Destiny series but I remember on the original board being at the center of a 'discussion' because my suit was using a G.U.N.D.A.M. O.S (the same one as that used by the mass production Astray modified by Kira). So, discuss! Or, better yet, perhaps Valiant could make some declaration?

Gundams in general tend to be higher ended mobile suits, in the Seed/Destiny universe they also tend to be mostly equiped with some sort of Phase Shift Armor or something else that tends to increase their defense and/or mobility (does that work in describing them?). I'm not sure if the Astrays use the same OS either. Although perhaps all the mobile suits do, who really knows right? The only times i've seen it made a big deal in the series is when its used in a Gundam

The only Astray's that used the Gundam OS are the three prototype P Number units. The mass produced models used a tweaked version of P02's data mixed with Kira's refinement process to make the Astray OS. This guess comes from the Astray Manga, when Lowe arrived at Orb. 

The proof comes from Astray Manga Vol. One, when Lowe enters Blue Frame to encounter Gai, the Gundam acronym flashes on the system start up. 

A quote from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Operation_System):

Customized Version (G.U.N.D.A.M Synthesis System)

Orb uses a copy of the G.U.N.D.A.M Synthesis System, which along with other G Project technology was copied by Morgonroete on Heliopolis, on their own mobile suits MBF-P01 Astray Gold Frame, MBF-P02 Astray Red Frame, MBF-P03 Astray Blue Frame, MBF-02 Strike Rouge, MBF-M1 Astray, MVF-M11C Murasame and ORB-01 Akatsuki. However Akatsuki utilizes a customized version of the G.U.N.D.A.M Synthesis System operating system.

Also, if you remember, Kira Yamato was the first person to ever call them Gundam and this was after reading the abbreviation from the O.S on the Strike so... kinda suggests to me that any MS with a G.U.N.D.A.M OS are Gundams...

Hrm true, but also I think OS, Power Plant, and internal components made a mobile suit a G.u.n.d.a.m. class weapon. Since a typical gundam is comprised of high performance, and very costly parts it adds to their abilities to perform beyond expected limits. On the other hand, some mobile suits with the same OS will operate differently since their parts are standardized, with less emphasis on high performance. I finally got what your were talking about, In the end, its all whats inside the mobile suit that makes it either a grunt, mid-type, or Gundam class MS. 

Perhaps the high-end components installed on these mobile suits require a more advanced OS to run the suit? Would a GUNDAM OS run on a normal suit? The first thought that crosses my mind would is the analogy of attempting to operate Windows Vista on a Pentium I computer. It just wouldn't work that way, would it?

A good discussion. Let's see how far this one goes.

Well, in CE GUNDAM - it's Os for OS, so even Murasame can be called "GUNDAM". But this not "official" naming for MS (it was "invented" by Kira, so...). But in other "universes of Gundam" Gundam - hi-end, uberpower MS, mostly experimental and so,and so, etc., so Murasame doesn't fit in that conditions (as MPMS). There was a page on Wiki about Gundam as class, so you can use it to understand what i mean))

Thank you Valiant, I'd also like to see how this discussion concludes though I realize at the end of the day it's all down to you and the other boss guys & gals.

What you're saying about the O.S being installed on a lower end machine makes sense until you look at the Murasame and mass production Astray (although this argument can also be used to back up your point I suppose...), the O.S they use is a customized (and as far as I know that's just the alterations made by Kira so that it can be used by a Natural) version of the operating system used by the GatX series.

As seen in the series, they can kick series ass, but the fact that they can does not make them a Gundam. I wish I had a copy of Destiny now to flick through and check the O.S of the mass production suits, would kind of end the argument I think.

Alright I think the OS is just one part that makes a Gundam a gundam I think for the sake of the series a Gundam is a Gundam when it meets these requirements: it has the GUNDAM OS and is also a prototype mobile suit. other than that they're all just immitations...