Beam shield; effects and limitations

neogmkuma

Good day to you all.

I humbly submit to you, the members of advent destiny, a topic to be discussed. If let's say a beam shield blocks a beam sword much like that of the Destiny Gundam's Arondight anti-ship sword, Gouf Ignited's tempest sword and Sword Impulse's Excalibur anti- ship sword. Will the sword have any structural damage? Since it's basic construction is made up of metal. One more thing. Can beam shields be used to cut things?

Beam shields, IMO, are possibly made out of the same components as a beam saber, except with the I-field moulding it in a different manner. So I guess it could still cut anyway. Of course, being a beam shield, I think it still has its limitations over solid shields. I say it might even be possible for an anti-ship sword like Excalibur to be able to penetrate it when swung at full force. The advantage being that its effective against beam weapons, but against high velocity weapons though, it'll have to depend on the shield's power output. I think a powerful gauss rifle could easily piece through one of those babies.

Ah yes this topic.

Depending on where the sword strikes the shield; the tip on Anti-Ship swords are actually anti-beam reflect coating, so they actually pierce thru the beam shielding.Anywhere else along the metal of the sword and it breaks the sword. However, if the beam portion of the anti-ship sword strikes the shield it is basically beam sabre vs beam sabre so niether will give way no matter how hard you push.

JFYI a GOUF's Tempest beam sword isn't a anti-ship sword so the tip will not penetrate the beam shield because it is not beam coated

A beam shield is basically a beam sabre just in the form of a shield

Hope that answered your question!

Edited by Guest

However, if the beam portion of the anti-ship sword strikes the shield it is basically beam sabre vs beam sabre so niether will give way no matter how hard you push.

Still, if its swung hard enough, it can still tear off that arm. Kinetic forces still do exist, somewhat... But yeah, in terms of penetration, it won't penetrate. Its literally like trying to bring the N and S poles of a very, very strong magnet together.

• 2 weeks later...

As Shaftronics said, kinetics always exist. thus, if the sword is swung with a power of any magnitude, some damage will be suffered by the basic structures of the shield.

Consider it this way: To counter a car-crash, security pillows (or w/e) are mounted onto the steering wheel and other spots in the car. In case of an impact, these will come out and absorb some of the impact. I say "some" as such is the case. There is always some damage done.

Consider it this way: You stand in a field. You are holding a pillow in your hand. Person B shoots a cannonball into your stomach. You don't take the full impact of the shot, but you take significant damage.

-val