Re: Phantasy Star Universe

Seth Jedan

Thats good to know, maybe I'll coax my friend into buying one for me, as we have this tendancy to try and one up each other when it comes to birthday presents.  I just got him a $30.00 how to draw anime book, so hopefully that will be incentive enough for him to either buy me the memory card I need, or a Keyboard. 

Also, is it just me, or do forces in this game reek of Awesomeness   I remember finding them tough to play as in PSO, but I used a newman force in PSU, and I was slaughtering things even at level 3!  I'm seriously considering using a force character for Online mode, as I think the idea of being a Party's 'mascot' character would be very fun.

P.S. Fireball!!!! 

Beginners should try the hunter class first, as they get access to the most amount of weapons, and are the easiest to play as (just grab your sword and start hacking things to bits).  Your race depends on what stats you like the most:

Human: Average in all aspects, not good, but not bad either

Cast: Accuracy up the wazoo, and not too bad for attack and defense, but magic power and evasion will suffer

Newman: Decent evasion, and enough magic power to rival a nuke, but otherwise weak physically.

Beast:  Attack attack attack attack, need I say more?  Oh, but they don't have that good magic or accuracy.

Simply put the 'best' class combinations are:

Ranger+Cast : Guns Guns Guns Guns Guns Guns Guns (I sound like Christoph von Crailsheim)

Hunter+Beast:  Where'd I put my 20ft long sword?

Force+ Newman: FIREBALL!

Now while those give you the best stat combinations for each class, I'm an advocat of mixing it up a bit and just having fun.  For example, Casts can make decent hunters, or maybe your beast wants to learn some magic?  This game is meant to be enjoyed by all, and thus, every possible character combination has its enjoyable moments.  There is no specific char you should make first, but rather, you should unlock the extra mode and tinker around with it a bit to find what YOU like.

btw, I will have 2 online characters for sure, a newman hunter (bringing back my old Hunewearl from PSO), and a Cast Force (loli angel robo mascot anyone?) 

• 2 months later...

I got it last Sunday and I've basically been playing it whenever i have the chance. I'm on Chapter 11 with a level 54 Ethan with the 1337(that means leet for you who didn't know) Cannon (see sig ) and hopefully i will be online soon.

Edited by Guest

Hmm...See I got this on the x360 and though it certainly was a nice looking game it didn't hold my interest what-so-ever, even the online version seemed flawed and it has since sat on my shelf just looking pretty (the art work on the case is great).  Since then I've gone out to buy a few other RPs that were missing from my collection including Magna Carta, Wild Arms 4, Atelier Iris 2 & Disgaea 2, with MC taking the majority of my interest.  Still waiting (as ever) for FFXII & XIII to show up on my shores...Cursed Pal Version delays!

School has been distracting me alot lately, so my online time for this game has been limited (not to mention that my only USB keyboard went on the fritz, so its tough as hell communicating with anyone while playing), but the times I have played online has given me a whole new respect for the game.  The game gets alot tougher once you get online, and I hope to see some of you online if we can ever get the time.

What systems are you guys on?  We all know that Laine's new 'pretty box' is the 360 version, and I've got a PS2 copy, so what about the rest of you?  and trust me guys, boss missions need large groups to complete; I still have the scars from my last encounter with a De Ragon 

I've got the PC ver. and for the De Ragon there is a nice spot that a well informed Ranger can take advantage of if he has a shotgun with ice bullets. This spot is at a certain angle behind one of the front legs where you can get 2 targets with all 4 shots + 50% if you use ice.

Yeah, in the offline mode I would strike around there with the twin daggers and use one of the spinning Photon arts (can't remember its name, its the most basic twin dagger skill), you'd score a good 5 or more hits, which is great if you have an Ice element set of daggers.  I S ranked him in under 50 seconds like that 

But yeah, he's alot stronger in Online mode, at least 1.5X his normal health, alot harder to stun with headshots, and some of his attacks gain seeking abilities, so its hard to dodge.  Of course, this was all before I got Resta and Barta, so I could probably manage him now if I had a competent ally or two.

Hurray for PC ver., that means we can meet up together  , My current character is a Female Newman Force named Lycorsis, I named her after Lycoris of the .Hack//  Manga, but I messed up her name spelling and didn't notice it until a while into the game  .  I plan to give her some weapons that would be significant to the actual Lycoris, so she's gonna be a force primarily, but I'm gonna get a decent Lance to use as a melee weapon for those times that I need a weapon (that and I need a good melee weapon cause Lycorsis is gonna be my Hunewearl tribute char, gotta get lvl 3 hunter and lvl 5 force.......).