Vulcan cannons

VAL

This is a chaingun on an A10, a bomber in the US Air Forces. Also seen on the pic are the (depleted uranium) ammo it uses:

A10ammo05.jpg

The name of that gun is a Vulcan gun. I.e. Vulcan guns in Gundam are practically descendants of these things.

I was thinking the ones used in mobile suits would be a more compact/weaker version. I mean, if these were to be fitted in the head, there would be no space for the sensors to fit in. The Wing Gundam era, which had vulcan machine cannons on the shoulders, those seem to work alot better than the ones mounted on the head, don't you think?

The Vulcan machine guns in the Wing Zero Gundam, the shoulder mounted ones, fire a lot more bullets than the head mounted ones. If you look carefully, the gun port for the head-mounted machine guns consist of only one hole, therefore only one barrel can be fitted inside. Compare this to the multi barreled Vulcan of the Wing Zero. Also the Vulcan machine gun is so devestating a weapon not just because of the size of the ammunition but because of the rate of fire as well. Plus if you compare the size of the head-mounted and shoulder-mounted Vulcans you can see a major difference in size of not just the whole gun but of the barrel of the gun to. Bigger barrel means bigger bullets means more damage .

By the way... Do you consider the big Gatling guns the Heavy Arms uses as a Vulcan machine gun?

Ah well, you know people have the habbit of making stuff smaller. Rifles started medium sized, then large, then as the modern era came, they made carbines.

I was thinking the Vulcans were more for piercing armor, than to do any real major damage. Considering its on the head, it'll be quite easy to aim as compared to aiming an entire rifle, though considering we don't know how a mobile suit works, I'm just assuming. Though the use of it is highlighted in Seed, where they use it to shoot at missiles, which lead me to believe it would be a pretty accurate weapon... I'll leave that to your discretion.

Vulcan guns are basically just... Gattling guns with depleted uranium bullets, and they fire alot faster. Considering the rate the Heavy Arms depletes ammo, I'd say they're just gatting guns. I mean, a vulcan cannon of that size would require ammo of a much, much larger caliber.

They don't call the ones in WZero mega vulcans for no reason.

Erm, UC-era ones do some damage, and earlier SEED ones did some considerable amount too (considering the 75mm Vulcans the Strike uses is the same Vulcans used as the AA's CIWS systems).