What do you like and dislike about MechaBay?

Valiant

• 4 weeks later...

There's simply no reason for it to exist in this day of age. When it was created, the Gundam Wiki wasn't as polished, so you and that other guy from the wiki decided to create your own version, and I understand why. Nowadays, mechabay just looks like a worse copy-paste version of the Gundam Wiki. The way wikia works now makes it look a lot cleaner and easier to navigate because people are used to wiki's. The system you created never took off and ironically it's the one that looks cluttered now. 

When a Gundam fan looks up a mobile suit or whatever, they're going to use a wiki and maybe Mahq, which is what your website is essentially copying now, with it being more than just Gundam. Mechabay doesn't pop up anywhere. It failed.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything. It was a great idea back in 2009, but now it's unnecessary. 

9 hours ago, FrostyFoster said:

There's simply no reason for it to exist in this day of age. When it was created, the Gundam Wiki wasn't as polished, so you and that other guy from the wiki decided to create your own version, and I understand why. Nowadays, mechabay just looks like a worse copy-paste version of the Gundam Wiki. The way wikia works now makes it look a lot cleaner and easier to navigate because people are used to wiki's. The system you created never took off and ironically it's the one that looks cluttered now. 

When a Gundam fan looks up a mobile suit or whatever, they're going to use a wiki and maybe Mahq, which is what your website is essentially copying now, with it being more than just Gundam. Mechabay doesn't pop up anywhere. It failed.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything. It was a great idea back in 2009, but now it's unnecessary. 

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Gundam Wiki. It is actually a lot more cluttered now than it is before. It used to be clean and minimalist like Wikipedia. Then all the ads and pop-ups were shoved into all the wikis because they needed money. Nothing wrong with monetising but execution was poorly done IMO. It just fills up the page with more clutter and drowns out the information. You get a big banner up top and one on the side. Video pop overs as you scroll. What MechaBay is doing is to stick to the clean interface where you can read the content.

We also write all the content ourselves so you probably haven't read much of the articles if you think it is a copy and paste. And because we create the content, we ensure the articles are at least well-thought out and not just a stub. We also stick to an in-universe tone while the wiki uses an out-of-universe perspective, so it adds a lot of less canon stuff. We try to go for what is the most canon where possible.

MAHQ is very specs and technicalities focused. We try to balance the specs with history and design based on the series.

I do appreciate the feedback because it gives us an idea of how we are perceived, even if it lacks a knowledge of the background, which most newer fans would be in the same position as you would. Gundam Wiki is still the copy and paste of the old Wikipedia Gundam content that were deleted by Wikimedia back then. That said, newer articles for the new series are more polished.

AKA "My feelings got hurt that someone criticized my failed website no one uses, so I'm just gonna say they're not knowledgable."

I think it's really cool that you tried back in the day, but to act like Mechabay is some savior to Gundam knowledge is mute when the Gundam Wiki is perfectly competent in its own right. It's not perfect (No wiki is.) But it has the knowledge that necessary for people and it's written in a way that gives you that. They're not just stubs when written by people just like you. Technology, history, etc are all accessible. Mechabay started 10 years ago and it still doesn't have much info, except for new series being put in on the title page. If you wanted to compete with the Wiki, it should've been done a while ago.

Your site is perfectly fine, but as a whole, it's not better than the main wiki because it has so little and there's no reason for it in 2019.

I've noticed that you frequently ask for feedback on other things too, but not a single time have you actually taken it. You either ignore it because you don't like it, or you act like you appreciate the feedback, when in reality you don't want to change it because you like it the way it is. You don't care about my feedback because it's not the positive praise you wanted.

Lighten up, dude. You like to make things more of an issue than they actually are, like with Acidic and the tenses. It should be past-tense, but to publically call her out is not the way to do it. PM her and say "maybe you should write in past tense." Don't write a rude follow up and tell her not to be offended instead of just apologizing for the way you handled it. You're way too prideful.

We have had a lot of great feedback and input that goes more than saying a site unnecessary in 2019. Constructive comments help the site grow. We do this as a part time project and I'm more than happy to slowly chug along and provide good quality content. If the wiki serves you well enough then, well and good. MechaBay has always been a project made out of our love for the genre.

The wiki has its place, and has many contributors. Experienced and knowledgeable fans, and then you have those who make it worse that it already is. That is why we moved to a curated content format like how MAHQ and other standalone sites are run. We also maintain independence and self-sustainability. You can look at how information has been lost with the demise of large platforms that ran out of steam to see how ephemeral information can be when we are not in control of the site.

Feedback that led to change isn't ignored simply because the change isn't what was asked for. 

The bit about the tenses is off topic, but in short, we are a literate RP first and foremost so we do expect a certain level of literacy.