Flay...yes i said it...

Roromi

Alright I've recently been showing one of my buddies Seed for his first time and its probably like the 5th or so time i've rewatched the series and it finally dawned on me that I understand Flay's character to the point of liking her O_o (funny because all my friends are learning to hate her guts just as i once did) I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar revelation with any of the other characters as well or am i that hopeless?

I never really disliked fllay actually. Any girl who knows how to wield power over the ultimate coordinator like she does, you gotta have respect for someone like that

But I actually really hated Dearka and Yzak from day 1. Then by about episode 10 I was like "hey, these guys aren't that bad." And now Dearka is a favourite character of mine. But he didn't get enough air time in GSD as far as I'm concerned.

You know, I also don't know how all that flak for Fllay came about. For one, she was an awesome character, portraying the flaws of a human almost flawlessly (pun intended). Secondly, the moment her father died, I knew she was going to be there for tragedy eventually, else it would be a waste to even involve her with Kira and lastly, she's hot.

I don't -.-'... Manipulation is cruel! Even if they survived because of it >.>. There are many ways to reach a solution however some are easier than others... And some are evil-er then others. Totally Evil... And then, while there in the desert, Flay has Sai attack Kira and Flay has Kira attack Sai... SHE PIT TWO GOOD FRIENDS AGAINST EACHOTHER!!! I understand that she was obviously supposedly a good model of a normal human under such conditions... However, being normal isnt always good... She had two men wrapped around her finger... Now that's evil... Thank god for Cagali and Lacus .>" title="" />

(Keep's ranting about how evil Flay was)

I don't -.-'... Manipulation is cruel! Even if they survived because of it >.>. There are many ways to reach a solution however some are easier than others... And some are evil-er then others. Totally Evil... And then, while there in the desert, Flay has Sai attack Kira and Flay has Kira attack Sai... SHE PIT TWO GOOD FRIENDS AGAINST EACHOTHER!!! I understand that she was obviously supposedly a good model of a normal human under such conditions... However, being normal isnt always good... She had two men wrapped around her finger... Now that's evil... Thank god for Cagali and Lacus .>" title="" />

(Keep's ranting about how evil Flay was)

Ah. I suppose some prejudices can never be completely absolved. The development of Fllay into what she supposedly was goes to show what a person is willing to do for her own ends. Eventually though, I do believe she realised the error of her ways. Perhaps her death might be the most fitting way for "atonement". In any case, I rather liked her character and no winders, we are not talking about Lunamaria...Unless you care to make some comparisons.

Nope, my feelings for characters haven't really changed over time.  I'll admit that Flay's pretty attractive, but her character was annoying from beginning to end.  Still, for me she wasn't so bad that her character made me dislike the voice actress as in the case of my older cousin (she only watches the JP version and since in that version Flay's voice actress also did Nartle, she doesn't like her either). 

[On a side note, I still don't like Yzak and would not want to serve under him now that he's a commander.] 

See ? Indeed, Flay's death and the scenes afterward were a boost however I believe that was simply the Director's plot plan, not what would really happen... If ghosts could appear, that is... The end seemed like, she did so much bad then she did good, there was too much confliction within the personality which made it seem like, to me, that it wasn't her who was doing the actions... .>" title="" /> (Rants some more.)

*Sigh*

The representation of Fllay at the end when Kira was crying his heart out at being unable to protect her was a symbolism IMO. Humans can turn to darker deeds to accomplish their means to an end, but it doesn't mean they can't believe their own actions before to be evil and realise the err of their ways. Even before that, she had wanted to see him, perhaps with an apology in mind, or even just to see him.

I don't think of her as an 'evil bitch' or 'slut', like a whole load of other Fllay haters out there, but as a human. Humans can err, and they can realise how they have erred as well as try to make up for it. The question is from where did this hatred stem from. Was it how she manipulated Kira? Was it her hatred for Coordinators? Was it the 'spoilt brat' vibe from her at the very start?

(I stayed away from the details because maybe someone might have not seen it yet or for whatever reason .>" title="" />)

The hatred stems from the fact that the main character, Kira, is being manipulated by Flay. The reason why not alot of pity is felt for Flay when her Father dies is because, during war's these things  are expected to happen. This is the mindset of many viewers from episode 1, the destruction of Heliopolis,(1-2, to be exact) you see a glimpse of the war, therefore people gain the mindset that many people will die... Another reason why many people don't feel the pity for Flay is because right afterwards the life pod that carried many victims from Heliopolis is shot down by Yzak. Kira is affected by this alot more than (or so it seems) Flay and her Dad's death. So instead of feeling pity for Flay, you feel pity for Kira... Indeed, she might not have cried or complained, but  she definitely didn't try to suck it up and act noble by not burdening people... She took it out on Kira because she believed it was his fault that her dad died... And, during this time, Flay has manipulated Kira, which makes you dislike Flay even more... The spoiled brat part in the beginning did influence my judgement of her by making me think that she was a very Non - important Character, but when she is saved, (I thought that scene made it seem that she was even MORE spoiled...) she took more liberties than the other victims. And then you she that she has adopted the Natural mentality and her hatred for coordinators EVEN though she was saved by Kira... I thought, many times, that  she was odd because she hated Lacus, just because she was a coordinator, yet she didn't hate Kira. I mean, yes, it portray's the flaws of humans appropriately... And I guess your right about the ending, but many things influence the minds of the viewers and, (Me included) many think that Flay was spoiled and a dislikable character... 

The hatred stems from the fact that the main character, Kira, is being manipulated by Flay.

I don't know about you, but that is the most common mindset I've seen and would seem perfectly normal for any viewer who favours the protagonist immediately at the start.

*Shrugs* Not everyone can be subjective to this kind of thing, any way.

The reason why not alot of pity is felt for Flay when her Father dies is because, during war's these things  are expected to happen. This is the mindset of many viewers from episode 1, the destruction of Heliopolis,(1-2, to be exact) you see a glimpse of the war, therefore people gain the mindset that many people will die...

Another reason why many people don't feel the pity for Flay is because right afterwards the life pod that carried many victims from Heliopolis is shot down by Yzak. Kira is affected by this alot more than (or so it seems) Flay and her Dad's death. So instead of feeling pity for Flay, you feel pity for Kira...

This is rather strange...Considering that as you said, the 'mindset of many viewers' believe this to be war, it's all right not to sympathise with someone who just lost a dearest kin and it's perfectly fine to shed a few tears of sympathy for a crying and whining Kira about people he could not protect?

I think it simply boils down to one thing: 'Most' viewers simply take things at face-value, and will rather feel more for the main character than others. As it is again, it's perfectly normal. Perhaps one or two more viewings of the entire season can change the opinions of some, because they can re-assess everything.

Indeed, she might not have cried or complained, but  she definitely didn't try to suck it up and act noble by not burdening people... She took it out on Kira because she believed it was his fault that her dad died...

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I believe this was a firsthand experience of what war can do to families and to her, so her behaviour can be explained according to that. On the other, asking Kira to protect them was a little unreasonable...Not that people who know nuts about wars and fighting can differentiate between 'fulfilling promises' and 'doing things beyond their control'.

How and why would she suck it up or 'act noble'? She isn't experienced with death or with war and it's machinations. Fllay is the stereotype of teenagers who live in a peaceful time where war was the last thing on their minds. Heck, she was still happily going out with her friends until ZAFT attacked. That being said, it depends on the person him/herself and their ability to handle stress. Perhaps hers wasn't so great.

And, during this time, Flay has manipulated Kira, which makes you dislike Flay even more... The spoiled brat part in the beginning did influence my judgement of her by making me think that she was a very Non - important Character, but when she is saved, (I thought that scene made it seem that she was even MORE spoiled...) she took more liberties than the other victims.

Uh, no, I don't dislike Fllay. What liberties are you talking about?

And then you she that she has adopted the Natural mentality and her hatred for coordinators EVEN though she was saved by Kira... I thought, many times, that  she was odd because she hated Lacus, just because she was a coordinator, yet she didn't hate Kira. I mean, yes, it portray's the flaws of humans appropriately... And I guess your right about the ending, but many things influence the minds of the viewers and, (Me included) many think that Flay was spoiled and a dislikable character... 

You know, apparently her lack of spite for Kira was probably based a little off the fact that he was friends with Sai, Tolle and Miriallia. He DID rescue her, and that's saying a lot for the different 'race' which was supposed to be the Naturals' worst adversary.

And when did she start hating Lacus? When she started interacting with Kira, or simply when she just came on board? I don't have concrete reasons or proof for the hatred, but it can be attributed to a number of things, like taking attention away from Kira (note that she apparently showed dislike for Cagalli for doing so with Kira when she joined the AA crew) because it would (a) foil her plans to manipulate him or (b) Because she herself was starting to get attracted to him. (b) sounds farfetched, though...

And of course, if she didn't die, Kira could lose battle versus Rau )))

Didn't think of that in the first place. It was a metaphor, perhaps, that her death actually had some meaning in Kira's final struggle.

Edited by Guest

Hehe, Well, I don't like to argue, but yea, all of that is true. (However, when I said "suck it up  and act noble" I mean not cry, what would be the first action, crying. She did this, however she did not become depressed, rather her depression over her father's death became a flame. I sincerely doubt that a normal teenager would manipulate another to get revenge for her. Though revenge wasn't her only motive, I think that a normal teenager would probably try and seek revenge themselves, or, perhap's become very unresponsive and depressed. )

Well I never had a problem with Flay she was actually really cool seeing as how she controlled Kira so well. But the first time I watched the series I didn't really understand Rau Le Creuset but by the second time I got I think all of it .

I think it was about the second time i was able to identify most of the characters with some sort of mythological figure (mainly norse). Andrew Waltfelt = Odin, Mu = Baldr, Rau = Loki, The Drugies = three fates, (recently decided) Flay = more like athena or some other war goddess, The ending = ragnorak. Other things that are more obvious like Marue's last name and how that plays into her character slightly. Kira's last name obviously. Theres more too that me and my friends got into but i cant recall everything and some things are more up for debate but its still fun I almost wish i had class that would have let me look more into this stuff but alas I'm not much into mythology and I don't feel like doing that much research lol.

Roromi: It's not unfounded...a bunch of anime tend to have numerous references to mythology (ESPECIALLY Norse).  Some simply yank the names off of various places (Yggdrasil is probably the most overused) while others make more direct references.

i.e. Ah! My Goddess! refers to Yggdrasil and the three Goddesses of Fate (or something like that).  I could probably name a few others, but meh.