This is Sparta!

winders

Who else has seen 300? It is well worth the 9 bucks I spent on the ticket. For the younger kids out there, if you're below the rating at your country you better obey it! It is quite gory for a non horror film, while it isn't as violent it contains some explicit scenes.

The movie doesn't have much character development, of course why would a show like 300 would have any? I was certainly pleased with the Spartan's battle tactics and skills, they use a little bit of Roman Shield war strategies and a tad of raw skill. They are quick to anger, while not as intense as some other Spartans such as Achilles

Anyone else's opinions?

Ok sure 300 is awesome, but funny thing is, my Ancient History class just finished studying Sparta. I just couldn't help sitting there picking out historical inaccuracies etc. Way to spoil a film But still, film technique wise, its freaking wicked esp. the slo-mo fightings and the added blood effects (yeah, i know its overblown, but hey, films are to entertain are they not ?)

NeoG and I went to see the movie on its opening day here about a month ago. Surprisingly, there's not much people who went to watch it.

Anyways, there is so much testosterone in the movie that after going out of the theater and back into the mall we both felt like grabbing the nearest javelin-like thing and thrusting it to the nearest mean-looking guy in the area, running at full tilt and piercing through him.

It really does make you want to hit the gyms, hehe...

I've got to go with evo_Sieg on this one.  I definitely felt like picking up my short sword and lopping off some heads after watching 300, but still it's a great, if not somewhat graphic, flick.  My advice is that if you liked Saving Private Ryan picture about twenty times the blood you saw in SPR and then imagine that all that damage was done within the range of a Persian short bow.

This movie isn't for everyone but I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Hehe, the main reason for all the historical inaccuracies are credited to it being made from a graphic novel. The movie itself was amazing saw it around release, and I was impressed... It really does make you want to hit the gym and then flex by the ladies with the 6 pack abs of death.

The film was actually more of a myth type rather than on the event itself; I mean you see people with claws for hands and a goat person at one stage (he was on there for a second)

They had a: Spear, Sword (like a scimitar), Shield

That was it; man my next D&D char will be a spear/sword and shield user LOL

My all time favourite movie has been Gladiator. 300 comes real close to that. The visual effects are a feast. I'm not so sure about the historical accuracy, since I'm no expert in that field. However, I remember reading somewhere that the well-known historians praised the movie for its historical accuracy. It's not 100% accurate but the historians were impressed by the degree of accuracy of the film.

Funny you should mention that the Spartan's used Roman shield strategies since ancient Greece came to power before the Romans, and the Romans basically stole all the Greek ideas including their gods and architecture.

Didn't see the movie, probably'll wait for it to come on DVD, but I did read a good fictional book about the battle called "Gates of Fire." Granted I only got half way through the book, as so often happens , but it was still good.   

Saw 300 on opening night in the IMAX, had to wait in line for an hour, so me and my friends ate popcorn and played Worms for the GBA.  And yeah, besides its lack of overall storyline and character development, its an awesome movie (gratuitous violence and sex ftw)  .

I think that it's simply a war film and as such the point of the movie was to retell a story.  There didn't seem to be much of a point about lots of character development because this wasn't a story about one or two characters but about 300 men who gave everything to stop a Persian Horde.

The story makes a lot more sense if you actually know something about the battle of Thermopylae but with ancient Greek history barely being glanced at in most schools and battles only getting fleeting mentions I expect that many audience members go into the theaters not knowing much about Sparta.

And finally, the Romans didn't steal everything from the Greeks.  Roman battle tactics were far superior to the Greek phalanx and in fact, on the several occasions in which they met, the Romans typically put the phalanx to shame.  The other important thing to remember about Rome is that unlike Greece, which was a very loose patchwork of city-states that sometimes were allies and usually were enemies, Rome was a true empire that spanned most of the known world at one point.