Simulation programs in the RP?

Kaizer

I understand that using actual mobile suits is a no no until we get the pilot academy up and running, but I'm sure that some of our military people (i.e. 87.3% of the site  , myself included) would like to know what the opinion is on using simulation programs at the moment?  Simulators made up a good portion of some of my old RP's at SEED RPG and SEED Twilight, so I was wondering if we could use these computer run simulators in our RPs, regardless of having a pilot's license or not?  I for one would like the chance to start training neko-kyra 

Yeah, I love the game to death. But let's face it, Elmo's ABC Adventure would be just as well suited to be a mech piloting simulation...

In summary of this whole converstion:

Military --> Realistic, many-buttony kind of simulation.

Arcade --> Fun.

StrikeFreedom --> Get your bio done! XP

Uhmm... I dont mean to be rude or anything but it is possible for arcade games to have a very intricate control system similar to that of a mobile suit. Remember the game Mechwarrior? They used to sell controllers for that, that are as big as a tabletop so that it resembles a mech's cockpit. So why can't arcade games in the RP world have accurate controls like in this world? They obviously have the technology, plus it can also be used as a kind of recruitment tool for the military.

Hi guys, think of it this way. Are there such things as mech warriors in real life?

Those controllers for games are only theoretical atm; while in the GSEED anime it may be possible that there are games with simplified controls that resemble those of MS. However, it's highly unlikely; at least in my opinion, that it would train someone up enough to join the military or increase their skill.

Good point winders.

It (simulators in arcades) would probably not train someone to pilot mobile suits but think of it this way. Simulators are a good way to see if that player has the reflexes to pilot a mobile suit. If a player can excel in that particular simulator it's a good bet to say that he/she has excellent reflexes and eye hand coordination, essential skills for a pilot to have.

The thing about such large, unwieldy controllers for such games is that they're hard to learn to use efficiently. That's why a military simulation would have them, to accurately reflect the cockpit of a mobile suit. But looking at games like Mechwarrior and Steel Battalion, those are home console/PC games, where the user has time to get the feel of the controls more accurately. But an arcade would most likely never have a game with such complicated controls, because controller frustration leads to disliking the game itself. Face it, your dollars aren't going into the machine that you can get past the first level on because you don't know how to go faster than 15 MPH. That's why simple, intuitive gameplay is so essential in arcade games.

But even in home simulations, like MW and SB, you're not going to be able to fully unlock piloting mastery. You don't get the feel of high-G maneuvers, you don't get the accurate sense of immersion, and controls are still simplified. True simulations aren't fun, they're a test of your capabilities and can be frustrating. An arcade/home simulation is meant to be fun, and only that.

Simulators would not require a license. Maybe we can limit simulators to being available only in military installations?

Maybe you missed my post.

Military installations would use state-of-the-art technology in their simulators, not arcade simulators.