Role play guide

Valiant

4) Once your character's profile is in the Library board, you can post in your character's thread to request to join a faction.

I thought that was clear enough But it seems like we keep having people who can't seem to understand that.

If there's anyway to make that statement more easily understood, please let me know.

It's because that rule was listed in an announcement. As I've seen in other boards, old announcements are rarely browsed through by anyone who joins well after the announcement was made (this is an academic observation, and is not meant to slight anyone).

Perhaps it's time to make a post which lists all of the current standing rules in effect , such as the One Character Only rule (which is actually more important than what you pointed out, and yet is not listed in any announcement.)

Again from an academic perspective, I think that particular issue is greatly influenced by the ever-increasing odds that new character applications tend to be Coordinator characters.

I don't recall reviewing any Naturals this past week, perhaps even for the past two.

I like to put here my own point of view

New player like me has to read a lot of rules (I read it thrice and still failed a couple of times), and aren't aware of the current status of the RP, so things like this happen:

I applied yesterday for ZAFT, but later reading about rest of characters on Character Libray I learned that ZAFT is almost full, if not complete.

So it could be an improvement that factions forum updates with his current status.

Some like: ZAFT is not accepting any new members or EA is recruiting right now.

That will help players to choose, and avoid the sense of "I've done a Zaft soldier, why now I cannot be at Zaft?".

Aside, the subject of having a lot of players of one faction is hard, it remembers when I gamemastered some fantasy RPG and ... I finished with a group of 5 elves, a human and a dwarf, clearly elf are by far more appealing than the rest, but they are far less in number than humans, one every ten thousand humans.

So finally I had to restrict elves to one for group.

But here could be harder.

Maybe some limitation like accepting coordinators in ORB and EA were only under special circumstances only.

But that's only an idea.

Edited by Guest

As you may already infer, factions will indicate whether they are open or closed for applications in the near future. It's one of the ways to channel new members to certain factions, but it does not address the issue of new members creating Coordinators.

The way I see it, those who first join tend to already have a Coordinator character in mind. While that is not a problem per se, the real problem arises when you combine the other aspects of the character, such as occupation. To give you a better idea of what I'm talking about, here is the profile I came up with for an 'average' new member (defined as one who has just found out about Advent Destiny):

1) Has seen one or both of the Seed series.

2) Wants to role-play as a Coordinator.

3) Wants to role-play as a Mobile Suit Pilot.

4) Wants to participate in as many battles as possible.

Now, given this profile, which side would such new members most likely join?

Edited by Guest

I agree with you Rad.

When a character type is prefered over others can be a serious issue, I had the same type of dilemma when my players, after watching LotR, started to prefer elfs over all other races.

So I see here the same, coordinators are more appealing by far as they were described as faster, stronger, innate MS pilots, in one word better.

So lets do a little research of why them think that way.

1) Has seen one or both of the Seed series.

Indeed.

3) Wants to role-play as a Mobile Suit Pilot.

Yes, most of them want that (myself included).

2) Wants to role-play as a Coordinator.

Most of the characters claim to be or want to be the best MS pilot, that is ok, but here it plays against us, in the way that almost everyone thinks that coordinators are the best MS pilots ever, and I think it is because two factors:

First, the SEED factor, which makes coordinator unbeatable as if there is a problem trigger SEED and bye bye bad guys, but in reality SEED is a rare hability owned by few coordinators, and maybe even less naturals, which should be not gifted carelessly .

The other factor for those who has seen the series, is that ZAFT suits are better, not only in firepower but also on response times, as naturals has sometimes problems in piloting them right.

So if you were able to break those myths, restricting SEED and enhance 'naturals' Mobile Suits, maybe more players will be eager to make more naturals characters an join factions like EA.

It's all about change, isn't it? If AD is going on a slightly different path as compared to the original series themselves, what Azaru just suggested could be taken into serious consideration. Of course, when the fighting comes, we would probably be able to tweak a few things here and there.

And I don't really like the idea of some people having the SEED factor, unless we sit around a huge round table and roll the dice to see who gets it.

As for mobile suits, if it's possible, just make it more obvious to newcomers that the MWs are perhaps tweaked to suit them, rather than having Naturals needing training to adapt to the MW itself.

Don't forget the Soldiers of Fire faction, people. I do believe there can be a mix in there as well.

Seed Mode is already restricted - it doesn't exist in Advent Destiny at all. This was a carried over-rule from GSRPG. Now that you mention it, such carried-over rules should also be among the standing rules that need to be listed.

As for enhancing Mobile Suits for natural, it's not necessary - when you're role-playing in a forum context, it's not the suit that matters, but the writing skill of the player. That's where the Pilot Academy is supposed to come in, which would gauge and develop a player's combat writing skill. Note the Coliseum battles as well - if you'll notice, whether the pilot is a coordinator or a natural doesn't really matter.

Just to add something in...What are we going to do when the fighting starts and ends? Who's going to emerge victorious? I certainly hope we will be discussing about that amongst ourselves so as to more or less forge a storyline that determines the winners and the losers, unless there's something else that can be done about this.

Seed Mode is already restricted - it doesn't exist in Advent Destiny at all. This was a carried over-rule from GSRPG. Now that you mention it, such carried-over rules should also be among the standing rules that need to be listed.

As for enhancing Mobile Suits for natural, it's not necessary - when you're role-playing in a forum context, it's not the suit that matters, but the writing skill of the player. That's where the Pilot Academy is supposed to come in, which would gauge and develop a player's combat writing skill. Note the Coliseum battles as well - if you'll notice, whether the pilot is a coordinator or a natural doesn't really matter.

Ok, but I think I failed to explain me correctly.

I mean, those points are clear now to me, but when I wrote:

So if you were able to break those myths, restricting SEED and enhance 'naturals' Mobile Suits, maybe more players will be eager to make more naturals characters an join factions like EA.

I wasn't suggesting changing rules, just pointing that a newcomer that doesn't read that, will instantly think that coordinators has advantages, and better suits, like he/she seen on the series.

While if that explanation appears clearly in rules, almost every newcomer will assume that there is little difference between choosing a coordinator or natural, at least in armamentistic matters, as both has been balanced.

That can be a lessen redirection of newcomer characters and players to other factions, hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, but I think I failed to explain me correctly.

I mean, those points are clear now to me, but when I wrote:I wasn't suggesting changing rules, just pointing that a newcomer that doesn't read that, will instantly think that coordinators has advantages, and better suits, like he/she seen on the series.

While if that explanation appears clearly in rules, almost every newcomer will assume that there is little difference between choosing a coordinator or natural, at least in armamentistic matters, as both has been balanced.

That can be a lessen redirection of newcomer characters and players to other factions, hopefully.

I believe that anyone who comes here to RP is expected to read the rules and the various related guides to have a feel of what they would be RPing in. If they can't be bothered to read those, then we can assume that they aren't trying hard enough to justify their RPing here on Advent Destiny.