What makes a good anime?

Valiant

1)  An attractive art style:  Who can say no to an anime that just looks sooooo good!

Examples:  Fate/Stay Night, .Hack//legend of the twilight, Bleach, Hayao Miyazaki films in general

2) Great music:  If you can't understand what anyone says, you might as well be able to rock on to some of the tunes of the show.  Examples: Bleach, Full metal Alchemist, Gundam series in general

3) A unique storyline: I like the shows that try and do something different, instead of copying off of other show's ideas.

examples: Gundam: for being one of the first realistic mecha shows, Fate/Stay Night: Chu chulain versus Arthur, sure why not?,  Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi: OMGWTFBBQ, even the episodes are unorganized, A+ level craziness to be found here.

Anything that does not involves ZOMGDESUDESUDESU-type of fanboys, then I'm fine with it.

I have enough of Haruhists and DESU-tards trying to spam everywhere.

Scrap that, I look beyond production values, since if one thinks of the quality of an anime too much, then he or she can forget about enjoying it.

Edited by Guest

This might take a little long...

1) Animation. Animation doesn't necessarily have to exceptional (e.g. Kanon 2006. Then again, I'm biased towards that anime ), but it has to be quite consistent with its quality.

2) Storyline: As long the crux of the episodes are mostly based on advancement of storyline in one way or another (e.g. character development, plot advancement) and less emphasis placed on fillers.

3) Characters: They need not be original all the time. Heck, plenty of character types have been reused over and over again. What's important is that one finds them entertaining.

4) Music: Of course, good music sets a good mood for the shows. It also depends on what kind of an inherent theme the show has (e.g. Death Note. You don't expect a happy go lucky song like Love Power from Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru to appear as an OP there, would you?)

That being said, it's important to note what the genre and nature of the anime implies. If it's mainly about humor and madness all around, don't bother nitpicking; You'll just go crazy while other viewers happily enjoy the show (Can't stand it when School Rumble fans start arguing crap about storyline...Geez).

Goos music, though sounding like a kncok-off to F.A.I.T.H.'s post, is a very important part, as it sets the mood of a scence, which when strung together well will result to better appreciation of the viewer.

Also like a movie there shouldn't be many "dragging" scenes, so that it spurs the viewer enthusiasm.

From what I remember I know one more element that makes an anime good, it just escaped my mind just now, hehe

FAITH's point 1: the source of hate towards Kanon 2006 and MoSH, because fans of both animes like to insult the quality of other animes.

FAITH's point 2: I'm hoping tha the Negima manga's overly dumb arc comes to an end, and not a 'ZOMG I FORGIVE EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING IS FINE' type of ending. 2 years for an arc about a school festival is more than overdoing it.

FAITH's point 3: Happens all the time. Harem animes do even have certain characteristics of the females (the younger sis, the best friend, the new kid on the block and so on).

FAITH's point 4: I lol'd when you made the Otoboku reference.

Last but not least: again, overanalyzing a manga/anime which is suposedly about funny stuff is overdoing it. I can see Negima fans (manga and anime(?)) doing that all the time.

kct:  Indeed, kct.  Indeed.

Pretty much the main points were covered, so I'll try and not to repeat too much based on my on thoughts regarding this matter.

The visual Quality of an anime isn't that much of a concern, as long as it isn't completely shoddy.  Of course, with the more recently used CG tech for pretty much most (if not all) current series that particular point may seem ambiguous.

Storyline is quite important, not just for its originality but how well it can grasp at its audience (meaning fewer fillers, more plot development/twists, etc.). 

If Characters have good development and can be empasized in some way by the audience, that's a plus.

Music...this is rather on/off.  Sure, good music really helps, even if its BGM.  Just as long as the music in the background flows with the animated events rather than being something people just ignores.

And yes, it's rather pointless to go pick at details for anime that is less 'serious' since it's just for sheer entertainment.  (Not that serious anime isn't entertaining )

• 2 weeks later...

-For starters, a good ----ing dub track. Often, lines get dumbed down and made less intelligent by the dubbing, for some reason.

-Most anime that feature Teamwork as a major concept will fail. There are some exceptions like Naruto (for the reason that it focused a sum total of 2 episodes on teamwork), bu the teamwork horse was flogged to death years ago.

-I don't really agree with the mad Fanboy-ness making an anime bad. Naruto and One Piece are great anime, despite their legions of fans.

-Music that enhances a scene, especially fight music. The thing is, if it's good you don't notice it; it just flows with the scene. If it's REALLY good you'll take note of it especially. If it sucks you'll notice it and know it's ridiculous.

-I don't really agree with the mad Fanboy-ness making an anime bad. Naruto and One Piece are great anime, despite their legions of fans.

Try telling a MoSH fan that 'HARUHI S***S MAJOR A**!!!' and he'll tell you that 'Haruhi > everything, including you'.

Try talking about Naruto and OP in some place like 4chan, and they'll sage it.

Edited by Guest

Hrm, yes, but a bunch of annoying all-caps fanboys doesn't detract from the actual anime itself. If the anime is good, screw the fans. Don't watch it because everyone else is, watch it because it's enjoyable

I believe that one can enjoy mega-mainstream anime and more complex, privatised ones at the same time.

Moral of the story? Flog the fanboys, enjoy the show by yourself.

I have watched both a little of One Piece and Naruto, and both don't seem half bad. Then again, I've only watched a small part of them, not an entire arc, so I can't really judge. However, anything with an entire arc of fillers (maybe save for Bleach) is something I can't really endure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good story, good character development, nice background history, and story interaction between characters.

And when I say nice, i dont mean they all get along, I mean each of them actually having problems of their own within each group since everyone has a mind of their own kinda thing

Heh,not agree about CLAMP - Code Geass as example,when CLAMP didn't destroy the series. Tsubasa Chronicles too very good IMO))

As for anime in main - well, there's no real "absolute" ingredient, that can change anime from "bad as 48th cup of coffee" to "good as 1st cup of coffee on morning".

• 3 months later...

Personally i just like animes that do something new while including as mentioned at least a couple times so far, Great music and dialog(not the terribleness of characters like cagalli in GS, and much of gunparade march).

Quality animation is always a plus, look at Full metal Panic and FMP the second raid. exceptional mecha stuff with well done audio and art stye.

A unique plot/story helps: example-Elfen Leid a elfin girl with invisible hand that slice people apart, havent seen that before, and oldies like Record of Lodoss War and new ones like My-Hime(or mai-hime I've seen it spelled both ways)

Or just complete badassness such as Hellsing Ultimate or Gunslinger girl