Re: The Aussie Corner

winders

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too right Aussie's should be in EA

When/if another war starts up, Carpentaria should be at the top of the list of bases/countries to Liberate.

hmm, I actually quite like beetroot, very nice.

I've been brough up on vegemite...any strength is good for me- lay it on nice and thick on toast with plenty of butter...brb, in the mood for some now.

Never heard of this "prospectus" if its just about shares then i wouldn't know about it 'cause that stuff doesn't interest me.

im sure youve all heard, i hope. but the US has banned Vegemite, because it contains added folate, where their law only allows added folate in bread, because its bad or something to have too much  . i find this an OUTRAGE. anyway, is there anything aussie we can discuss ?

Where do the yanks get off banning Vegemite when they aeat all the garbage they have over there?  Their food is loaded with sugar.

Seriously how many yanks actually eat Vegemite?  Every one I know can't stand it.  So if they hardly eat it, how can the added folate be bad for 'em?

Folate:

Folate

Folate and folic acid are forms of a water-soluble B vitamin. Folate occurs naturally in food. Folic acid is the synthetic form of this vitamin that is found in supplements and fortified foods. A key observation of researcher Lucy Wills nearly 70 years ago led to the identification of folate as the nutrient needed to prevent the anemia of pregnancy. Dr. Wills demonstrated that the anemia could be corrected by a yeast extract. Folate was identified as the corrective substance in yeast extract in the late 1930s and was extracted from spinach leaves in 1941.

Folate is necessary for the production and maintenance of new cells. This is especially important during periods of rapid cell division and growth such as infancy and pregnancy. Folate is needed to make DNA and RNA, the building blocks of cells. It also helps prevent changes to DNA that may lead to cancer. Both adults and children need folate to make normal red blood cells and prevent anemia.

What is the health risk of too much folic acid?

The risk of toxicity from folic acid is low. The Institute of Medicine has established a tolerable upper intake level (UL) for folate of 1,000 mcg for adult men and women, and a UL of 800 mcg for pregnant and lactating (breast-feeding) women less than 18 years of age. Supplemental folic acid should not exceed the UL to prevent folic acid from masking symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency.

Taken from: http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/984001430.html

LOL.

Fine here it is in layman's terms:

Folate= good because it can help prevent cancer.  And is good for your body's cells etc.

Folate is in just about all food.

Too much folate=bad.

However you have to have a lot (and I mean a lot) of Folate before it became bad.

Therefore, the yanks banning Vegemite is stupid and typically yank.