Gundam sensors

Valiant

Why are Gundam sensors placed in the head? Don't the designers know that if you were to hit the cameras, the pilot would be blind? From your past experience of watching Gundam, have you seen any instances where the sensors are not placed in the head?

Do you have any suggestions on how this vulnerability can be improved?

Gundam 00 spoilers

This comes after watching Ep 03 of Gundam 00, where Exia was temporarily blinded by a hand wrapping around the head of the Gundam.

You can still work with half of the head (that is the reason the Gundam-style dual eyes exist) if it was a mobile suit with dual head-sensors. However, in UC, placement of sensors have moved beyond having only the sensors in the head by the time panoramic cockpits are introduced (about 0080); these need sensors all over the mobile suit to capture the display.

The only thing I really remember but I will go watch all of SEED tonight because I needed an excuse to was that the GINNs Kira pwned as he was escaping with the Freedom only had the front screen gone when Kira hacked off their heads (showed the pilot as his jaw was dropped).

Also, I know in the final duel against Le Cruset, at the very end Kira didn't have a screen as he charged at him (assumption: Kira was using his developing newtype powers to hit Le Cruset.) I'll look into the Raider damage as well as other instances of stuff like that.

In Gundam Wing we know that machines are equipped with thermal dectors (Sorrowful Battle). The G Gundams had the same issue with the Mobile Trace System.

Sadly, there's not much proof of this, other than textual ones and common sense (panoramic view). Too bad they don't show the mobile suits without their frames all the time. In the intro of Patlabor 2, the movie, there was a camera/visual sensor shown that was placed on the torso of the robot.

Well, I heard somewhere it would be theoretically possible to still "see" by using the gun targeting sensor of the weapons they carry. This can be seen only on the old beam rifles of the UC era though (the large cap-like thingy on the top of the barrel)

OH, that reminds me. If anyone can find the old UC Gundam footage of the last Gundam Vs Zeong fight, we could actually learn of the truth! The RX-78-2 had its ENTIRE head blown off, and even the right arm. Yet somehow, it was able to ACCURATELY hit a small flying head. No, it wasn't Amuro's Newtype abilities; He had abandoned the suit and allowed its learning computer to do it, if I remembered it right.

It wouldn't be possible for the Gundam's computer to TARGET it without any visual targeting whatsoever, so I think that the Beam Rifle's targeting sensors aided it for quite abit.

well, I made that assumption based on the fact "Newtypes" in CE can sense each other. Thats why I figured Kira aimed directly at the cockpit (That and revenge for his dead lover, but who is counting)

It could be instinctive. Developed from his experience in combat. I'll have to watch that scene again. :)

In CE...better check the last Strike vs Aegis fight on the islands. If I could remember, the Aegis's head was cutted off and was still able to continue fighting and able to transform back to MA. Maybe because during MA mode, the Aegis may have other sensors.

In UC, in 8th MS Team...I could remember one of the Gundams there had its head punched out by an ACguy (ACguy's finest hour  ;D). The pilot of the RX-78(G) was that red haired tomboysh girl. All of its sensors were dead as it head was smashed out. It was still able to defeat the ACguy thanks to manual coordinations from the outside and diversion.

If you are talking about sensors, it doesnt necessarily mean thats its all about cameras. Theres also heat/thermal, motion, laser, radar, sound, vibration sensors. Some of these sensors dont rely on just mere visuals. It could also use lasers, changes in air pressure, etc. Not only should we determine there effective positions on a MW, but also the means on how they detect and locate targets.

Still, one of the suitable location for a MWs logistics gathering equipments would still be the head. As a pilot would need to face to a certain view in order for most of its sensors to focus on the desired area and also for a good sensor range. Others would also point out at the torso, above the cocpit entrance. Even if the head is severed, it will still in optimum efficiency. Another place would be at the back, or something with a pack with their antennas sticking out for it to work. Its safe but is not effective during close-in battles. Theres also on the waist area. Another good position, but sacrfices some sensor range.

On the issue of improving the vulnerablity, camera's/sensor's should be placed at the cockpit and on the head with an option to switch between the two.

But theres one thing, why do a lot of pilots scream their head off when they see an enemy pilot aiming for its camera(with a close range weapon).

Thirdly, wouldn't the flashes from a beam weaponry hitting your camera/sensor blind you permanently or impair your vision to some degree?

But theres one thing, why do a lot of pilots scream their head off when they see an enemy pilot aiming for its camera(with a close range weapon).

They do?

Thirdly, wouldn't the flashes from a beam weaponry hitting your camera/sensor blind you permanently or impair your vision to some degree?

I believe they have some protective measure. The camera might be programmed to filter out such flashes

It was an Acguy, carpeno.  Also, the damage from the hit rattled the cockpit heavily and damaging the screen (as well as the actual hatch).  It was the coordination between Karen and Eledore that allowed Karen to one-shot the Acguy.  *watched 08th MS Team FAR too many times*

@Val: Yeah, they do.

@Drannk: Probably because they are reacting as if THEY are the ones about to get shot, impaled, or grabbed in the face. :P

@topic: That's a good point and it isn't only prevalent in various Gundam series.  It's true that the 360 Panoramic cockpit view would IMPLY that the said suit has numerous cameras but as also mentioned, there isn't much concrete proof of that.

As for other sensors, there are numerous types but in generally we only see a basic radar layout with symbols, colored dots, and tones to indicate enemies and friendlies for the most part.  Only some cases where other sensors (i.e. IR, Magres, Night Vision) were ever used. 

A look at wiki's page about mobile weapon sensors does say that mobile suits in the later times have back up sensors.

There were other types of sensors (not just the visuals), but they are more prevalent in mobile suits dealing with special operations.

Edited by Guest

1190250912856.gif

Here's an animated image of the 8th MS Team scenario. Karen was ambushed by an ACguy and (as from the image) the head is totally smashed.

pdvd_168.jpg

After that, Karen's MS was pushed back and was still capable of firing at the ACguy. So, it would seem that the MS sensors are still active.

pdvd_196.jpg

Then the ACguy, again attacked Karen's MS to the cockpit smashing a proportion of it open.

pdvd_186.jpg

this is the view from the inside. AS you can see static on the left side monitor. Her front and left monitors were trashed, and from what karen said...her sensors were also out.