Bugged

Valiant

There seem to be some problem with the site's database. I'll try to fix things up. It'll be a slightly bumpy ride until it's done. I hope it doesn't affect you guys too much.

EDIT:

I've fixed the posting error problem.

Admittedly, I'm becoming more and more frustrated with the database. Aside from templating problems, this site is suddenly throwing up more issues.

However, I have some good news. Initial testing on the development site proved that my plans might just work out. I successfully converted the database and I should be able to migrate it onto a better structure.

!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!

Back up any information that you feel is important for you. I'm sure you would want to keep a copy of your character profiles just in case Murphy's Law strikes.

I assure you that sufficient measures will be taken to backup the site, however, you should always keep a copy for your profiles, just in case.

I'm certain that the avatars will not migrate properly. You might want to copy the links to your avatars. This seems to be the only problem so far. I will not conduct the migration until I'm satisfied that it doesn't lead to much problems or incompatibility issues.

EDIT: It appears that the blog, awards and shop modules can't be migrated as well. If there is concern from the members regarding the loss of information on these information, please do raise them here. Note that the blog module has been messed up by the database.

Migrating the database is a big decision to make and I rather be sure that everyone is fine with it.

EDIT: I realised that I should include make a proper comparison of what the move would bring.

Features/Data lost:

• Signatures - The entire feature isn't lost but it's a little harder to get your signatures to be displayed in the new system
  • Blog posts
  • Awards feature - I'm looking into a replacement system for this. Another way is to have a page to list the awards attained by the member.
  • Shop feature - This isn't used too heavily now but some of you might feela strong need for such a feature.
  • Post count and points for posts - I'm inclined to do away with this. Rather than making others RP just for the sake on increasing these statistics, I feel that we should use other ways to reward RPers. I believe such a step would bring us from an amateur RP site to one that is dedicated to encourage passionate RP instead of post spamming.

New features:

• Integrated wiki-like system - This would mean you can link to the wiki information from anywhere in the site. This includes from within forum posts.
  • User created pages - This can be used by members for their character profiles
  • Powerful blog system - This would be able to challenge the likes of wordpress and movable type. Users will be able to request for name.adventdestiny.com domains for their blogs
  • Group subsites - This would serve as a mini-portal for the various factions
  • Threaded forum system - This means that replies to forum posts and replies to these replies are distinguished from each other. Replies to the topics will be listed as usual, while replies to these replies will be grouped under each reply. If you have used deviantArt's commenting system, you will be familiar with it. This is a big improvement as OOC comments to the posts can be listed separately.
  • Books - Members will be able to create "books". This would allow the creation of game guides by players. We can have "Player's Handbook" etc, you know, in the tradition of DnD game guides.

This update will be nice.

I have my image links on Photobucket, so no worries there.  As for profiles, I always type them up on Word or Notepad before submitting them on-site anyways.

As for shop stuff, you should at least have a list of what people 'purchased' and/or what characters they got before you make the move.  (If you need help with that, let me know.)

EDIT: Meep, it's Valentine and hannah. ._.

Well, the shop hasn't actually been used extensively.

Other than for buying blogs and extra character slots, there hasn't been much utility. Rather than forcing players to post mindlessly just to raise the funds necessary to buy equipments, I think we have (or at least I have finally accepted this fact) developed into a more mature site. Hence, such "rewards" aren't necessary to encourage post by members.

Blogs will be fully-featured and available for all users. They would be able to create feeds to their own blogs and even create static pages for their blogs.

I've added more information about the books feature.

Ah, good point about the shop. 

I think for character slots, we should 'give' permissions to members who'd want additional characters on the basis of their roleplaying in general, rather than by some arbitrary 'cash' amount.  (i.e. If someone just roleplays a character sporadically but wants another character, the slot wouldn't be given because they wouldn't devote the full effort in RPing that character)

Yes. This should be the kind of flexibility that we have here. The feedback has been positive so far. I hope it's not the way that I worded my arguments. I don't want to sound biased.

I hope to have an objective understanding of how the members feel about this. I think this is also a good time for any suggestions on the functionality of the site to be made. This step would be the transition of AD 1.0 to AD 2.0 and I hope every member here contributes their opinions or ideas.

shop-wise its because theres only the blog ownership and character slots on sale that makes the shop not that attractive of a place for me to go to so getting rid of it completely might be a good idea and replacing it with the reward scheme unless you were planning to add more items to buy to the shops.

and question on AD 2.0 are we going to keep the mirc chat and the shoutbox cause it seems that there is a minor problem with the mirc chat

on a side note: back up completed

Personally I think you should put up a large blinking message on every page linking to this before you do it. This is my first time Even looking at this topic

Regarding the Data Lost and everything, I suggest giving a week's notice before the change itself happens. That way people can save their stuff and had enough time to do it before they suddenly spam topics such as 'O MA GAWD WHAT HAPPEN TO MY STUFF!?!111'

I'll just have to back up my profiles for now.

Regarding topics made recently made, will they be removed?

I've been repeating myself again and again......................................................

forum format..............................................................................................

postions of the sponsors, headlines, stats, etc.........(you can't just put it all left!!!)

fill up empty spot or like what I said position it properly so it won't look like an empty site.........we need to attract RP players or normal person somehow....I guess........

settings and options.....................................................................................

forum directory..........damn I can't see the most of the important topics because only 1 topic is shown under the directory.....show more subtopic somehow???.........

last and foremost.........expand the mail capacity........RP player of the same flag can't tell info to players with different flags.....not all info/mail are needed to be erased.......I think we should consider multiplayer first if we are to apply this changes

I got an ultra dumb suggestion.

Why not make us click all the links in Vote for us before we can do anything else. 

That would be rather unethical.

I've been repeating myself again and again......................................................

forum format..............................................................................................

postions of the sponsors, headlines, stats, etc.........(you can't just put it all left!!!)

fill up empty spot or like what I said position it properly so it won't look like an empty site.........we need to attract RP players or normal person somehow....I guess........

settings and options.....................................................................................

forum directory..........damn I can't see the most of the important topics because only 1 topic is shown under the directory.....show more subtopic somehow???.........

last and foremost.........expand the mail capacity........RP player of the same flag can't tell info to players with different flags.....not all info/mail are needed to be erased.......I think we should consider multiplayer first if we are to apply this changes

The idea of having everything positioned on the left rather than on both sides is to improve the space usage. There are people who still use 800x600 screens and I don't want them to have to scroll too much.

Nevertheless, the layout will change with the new system.

I've no suggestions, and as I don't like change until after it's happened, my opinion isn't worth much right now.  :-\ Ask me again after the change over.  ;)

But concerning backing up my info - Done. Although I really wouldn't mind too much if Julia's profile vanished anyway...