Getting ahead of one's self...

Darkness

In nearly every rp that I join, I tend to create several characters. Not all of them get used, but they usually sit around for a while, as I try to figure out if they can fit into the rp.

Sometimes I think I just enjoy creating characters too much.

Anway, I'm curious to know just how many members of AD already have more characters lined up for the rp, but just can't afford the extra characters just yet. And by already lined up, I mean having already written out a full profile, but just can't post it yet. Also, I'd love to know if there's anyone else like me - What do you do when you have a surplus of characters?

Currently, I have 3 characters lined up, one with a complete profile, and the other two still being worked out - They'll be finished by the end of the day, so they count. At least one of them will become one of my mains, another will be a NPC probably... The last might end up scrapped.

If I've got this in the wrong place, I'm sorry! I figured that seeing as it's rp-related, this is the right place for it....

@Temari: I only seem to have the problem of too many characters when I'm rping. Usually, as an author, I have as many characters as I need, each developed only as much as they have to be.

@Janus: I can certainly understand that - I'm the same actually, at least with the two or more in one faction thing. The characters I have lined up are all in different factions. Well, except for the NPC - he kinda has to be in the same faction as one of the others.

That's where my other comment comes in. Don't use them all if you have too many. Save them for other times. You don't have to be an author to know that. Any roleplayer with experience knows that the less characters used at one time, the better. That lets you focus your abilities on the one character. Anyone with a lot of experience, like I do, would agree. It's harder to role play two characters than it is one.

I never really gave saving my extra characters much thought. I usually scrap them, as I end up with a set idea for them, and can't seem to change it when I need to - aka, when I want to use them elsewhere. So I just make new characters for each rp I join. 

I should probably work on that mental block, but it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem...

I actually don't have a problem with rping a few characters at a time. I seem to end up favouring one character after a while, but I can rp up to about 3 characters without it effecting my abilities - At least, I don't think it effects them.

Anway, I actually find it easier to have two characters - but that's just me.

Yeah, I've recently come out of a rather long period of writer's block. It lasted nearly 3 years. It was an unpleasant, frustrating experience to say the least. Good rp sites, and friendly, understanding fellow writers have helped a lot.

If writer's block seems to be threatening, I tend to dive for my favourite books or rps, and re-read those. That usually helps me a little.

I used to be like that, having 3-4 characters planned for introduction at some point in time (like back at SEED RPG ), but now with school and RPs with other friends going on, I don't really have the time to make additional characters (currently RP'ing 10 characters over 4 RPs, NPCs excluded 0_o.  And oddly enough, only two of those 10 are guys <_<).

Recently I've just started to think more about character development rather than characters themselves, which means I've thought up multiple future events for some of my charries, all of which could end up taking my characters in different directions.  Listening to music does seem to help, as Janus said, but it sometimes gets me too caught up in things, and I end up daydreaming for too long V_V.

I currently don't have much to distract me, so I've been able to write more characters then I need or will ever use. Oh well, I'll keep them hany for when I do need them.

I never stop thinking about character development, which can be a problem... especially if I can't seem to stop thinking about one character when I really need to be developing another.

Music can help, but as you pointed out Kaizer, it can be pretty easy to get caught up in it. I don't know how many times I've lost a good train of thought because I song I enjoy comes on. 

I hear you on that last part, Darkness. I can listen to music while I'm working on homework, or I'm writing, but then the music will end up distracting me, and I'll never get anything done. Television is more distracting that music, I think. I can't concentrate at all when I'm watching something.

Character development is something I think I spend a lot of time on. I spend too much time on it. I keep thinking up things to do for my characters, and then something comes up and I'm too late, or I just forget about it until afterwards. That's why I learned to write things down. But then something comes along into my head, and I have to go and scrap everything and start again. I think character development is a pain, but it seems so important.