Janus

Referee: liubei013

Competitor 1:

Pilot: Janus Chiaki Matsuo

MS: MBF-M1 M1 Astray with optional Type 71 beam rifle

Competitor 2:

Pilot: Lucifer Lionheart

MS: MVF-M11C Murasame

Janus was somewhat nervous with the fact that she's had limited experience and was going against a flight unit in her seventeen year old Astray. That wasn’t all but her opponent was a coordinator, not to mention he Her friends had repeatedly told her to switch to a ZAFT made unit or at least an aerial units but Janus stubbornly rebuked them every time. 'Loss or not I will not give in. She didn't so I'm not going to either!' she repeated this to herself throughout the trip from Orb to the battlegrounds.

'Coming in for landing', the pilot cried out from the front seat. Janus snapped out of her stance.

She'd only just realized then that they were already above the desert. As the Heli cut through the heat rising from the golden dunes of the desert, Janus thought back on the rumors she'd heard during primary school. Breathing out one last long breath she confirmed herself, I will not lose.

Janus sat in the back seat of the transport alert and ready. She had her pilot suit on and was not feeling all that comfortable in it. She isn't all too used to the tight fitting and was especially fidgety with the fact that this was going to be the surface layer of clothing.

Now, as the Heli descended, she left her previous thoughts and focused on the notes she'd been memorizing since confirmation of the opponent's unit. He can't thrust or stay in the air too long since his engines will overheat. His land time's my best opportunity to attack 'cause his stability can't be all too good even if he calibrated his settings as it's still an aerial unit. The desert heat should cover my heat signals. And keep your back to the damn sun Janus! Take advantage of the time his scanners stuff up. The Heli landed and in that jolt of contact, Janus realized that Murasame's turns were wide due to the missing of side thrusts...or something... damn, I'll have to test this tactic out in battle.

The heat finally hit her when the pilot opened the cockpit. Due to Janus' past financial difficulties she'd lived in Orb without air conditioning and thus found the desert heat bearable.

She gave the pilot a quick salute and rushed off across the sand to her Astray. She kept her helmet on as she didn't want to be so obviously identified.

'Good thing power cables are still in', she thought, glancing at the massive cables that extended from the back of her ms to the almost over-heating charger. As she neared the foot of the Astray, a mechanic began lowering himself from the torso. She continued approaching the person, and got straight onto the uplifting cable as he detached himself from it.

"Oi kid! I've adjusted the terrain stats for you already. Don't try messing with them now. You'll just screw'em up!" The mechanic shouted after her.

Janus twitched at the second half of his words and decided to merely give him a lazy salute than a word of thanks. 'Hmph, could've done them myself anyway.' She boarded the cockpit and immediately felt much safer or in her words- 'exposed'.

She tampered with several buttons and the hatch closed. Switched on the loud speaker and flatly said "get outta the way unless you wanna get killed." With that, she moved several steps away and towards some nearby dunes 'I'll need these. And that', Janus said whilst grinning at the sun,'1200. I have a good amount of time until it sets.'.

Half an hour passed. 'He better be coming.' Janus grew impatient as her initial anxiety and excitement levels declined.

The radar gave a beep, signaling the entrance of her opponent. Janus flicked on the public communications link, 'a bit late aren't we?' she asked the pilot, with an obvious tone of annoyance.

((Do tell me if I make a mistake afterall, this is my first Coliseum battle.))

Edited by Guest

[OOC: couldn't sleep so i'll do the intro post now instead of later on in the day. and for the overheating engines bit... thats as long as i stay away from the extreme desert heat which is closer towards the ground compared to the air.]

Lucifer looks down at the arid landscape and sees all the dunes. A voice pops up in the comm channel from the pilot of the plane on which the Murasame is being transported.

"Two minutes till arrival Lucifer you should start to prep things up."

"Yeh roger that Bob starting warm-up and system start up now." he replied before starting up his mobile suit. After his final checks were done and the recalibration of beam refraction and thruster usage for the desert battle completed, he opened up his log to check out his opponent as well as the map of the desert battlefield.

Janus is the name of the pilot.... and I'm up against an astray... which cant hover since it doesnt have a shrike pack... so it can only fly up a little before going back to the desert sand again. In this heat in the middle of the day, her engines will blow way due to overheating before mine does since its so much closer to the sand and its supposed to be a old model too so the effect on the engines will be twice even three times as worse... She'll try to use the dunes for protection whilst I use the open air so I guess I'll have to set it up for melee battle fast. Heat detecting scanners are useless in this battle with heat coming from all over the desert so I'll have to pay attention with visuals and use the radar for support... sensors will have minor effects here... missiles will be good here. Sun's going to be a main factor in this battle... as well as the use and control of the thrusters... his thought train was interrupted when the comm beeped again with the voice of Bob telling him that it was 30 seconds till they entered the zone of combat.

"System all green over here Bob drop me a little closer to the opponent if you can please" he replied before taking a final look at the notes and then close the file.

As soon as they entered the battle zone a different and slightly annoyed voice came out from the public channel. 'a bit late aren't we?' He opens the public channel also to reply to the pilot hesitating a little before speaking a little sarcastically

"well... the toilets are a little too far away from the battle zone had to run to the nearest major city to find a toilet before coming out here.... you know how far away that is...." he could hear laughter coming from the comm channel with crew of the transport as he switched off the public comm channel. Bob's voice came through again slightly amused with "heres as close as we can get you" After thanking them, the Murasame jolted a little as the cables that were holding it were released and it fell free fall for 200 meters before Lucifer pressed the button to turned the Murasame into its MA mode and put thrusters on 25% to guide it closer towards the desert sand towards his opponent. To save battery power he transformed again as soon as he was close enough to land and then landed nicely on top of a sand dune just out of both beam rifle's range and opposite his opponent with the sun to a little his left. Its not just an old model... its looks extremely old... more than 10 years at least he thought to himself as the visual for his opponent showed up. He cleared his head of all thoughts and focused his attention and concentration on the battle at hand.

He opens the public comm channels again and spoke with more commanding power "Lucifer Lionheart, Murasame, ready for battle"

Edited by Guest

[OOC: Posting time limit (upon request) will be 9 Days

Randomized battle order will be:

Janus

HHLkill3r]

"Sonuva...what's with these hotshots choosing a damn venue like this?!" the referee complained as his VTOL hovered high overhead.  His official Coliseum Referee clothing was already drenched with sweat as this particular VTOL, while it had a full bank of surveillance equipment to monitor the battle, did not come with much creature comforts, especially air conditioning. 

"Be a part of the action, they said...see the world, they said...yeah, right," he mumbled as the long-ranged sensors beeped.  He looked over at one of many screens and confirmed that both opponents had arrived at their starting locations.  He grabbed his bottle of water, chugged down several gulps, and then cleared his throat as he put on his headset.

"Combatants' arrival confirmed.  This match between Janus Chiaki Matsuo and Lucifer Lionheart will now begin!" he shouted with far more enthusiasm than he felt.

[OOC: Go.]

A more than sarcastic and rough voice replied,"well... the toilets are a little too far away from the battle zone had to run to the nearest major city to find a toilet before coming out here.... you know how far away that is...." Janus grimaced as she listened to the excuse and the cackling of laughter that followed. She was about to snap back at him but the channel was cut off. Bastard… she hissed, firming her grip on the the controls.

Janus watched as her camera zoomed in on the speckle of a mobile suit. It freefell several hundred meters before it abruptly stopped and hovered in a moment of transformation. It then glided closer until it again switched modes and landed on top of a dune. The heat of the land sent heat waves that made the Murasame seemingly tangible. Still with the same frown and blunt voice that was lower than normal she grunted, hot shot, and rechecked the her equipment. Hmmm… he’s just out of my lock range… and…damn, my average heat levels higher than what I expected. I should use my thrust sparingly… along with my multi-barrel as well…, she warned herself. Heh, can’t let my boosters overheat before his does she thought trying to lighten her own mood. …but he does have more equipment than me… shit…., she sulked back into her previous state but still tried to be more optimistic. This unit model may be old but it shouldn’t be looked down upon. Janus thought with more confidence than irony.

The intercom spluttered and the pilot spoke, “Lucifer Lionheart, Murasame, ready for battle.”

Janus followed on queue, “Janus Matsuo, Astray, awaiting initiation.”

"Combatants' arrival confirmed.  This match between Janus Chiaki Matsuo and Lucifer Lionheart will now begin!" their assigned ref shouted.

Janus immediately leveled her beam rifle center of the opponent for a dumb aim shot, Let’s see which way he’ll dodge…. She pulled the trigger and the sand in which she’d raised the rifle just above, whirled with the shot's recoil. She hoist her shield in preparation for a counter attack even though she knew was sure her opponent wouldn’t, especially at this distance…

"Combatants' arrival confirmed.  This match between Janus Chiaki Matsuo and Lucifer Lionheart will now begin!" shouted the enthusiastic ref through the comm channels.

LL looks across to see his opponent already pulling up her beam rifle for a shot. shes really enthusiastic to get it underway too it seems

he mumbles to himself as he pushes his thrusters to 60% and flies upwards to evade the shot.

He uses his own beam rifle and fires 2 shots aimed at the Astray's shoulders. He turned around and transformed again pushed the thrusters up to 70% and started to accelerate and dived towards the gap in the center of 2 dunes 200m meters in front of the Murasame. He pushes the stick the right a little so that he places a little barrel roll whilst diving so that the chance of getting hit by stray beams would be lower.

Edited by Guest

Her opponent flew up with certainty, shot two horizontal shots back whilst evading Janus's initial ‘play’ shot. Considering the gap in between them, it was child's play to dodge beam shots. So why did he return fire...?, Janus wondered while she swiftly ducked and side stepped four spaces to her left. All whilst keeping an eye on the Murasame which had, by then, switched back into its armour state and was flying away fast at low altitude.

"Why are you running away at the beginning of battle?!" Janus cried with frustration and followed quickly through the same gap.

"Damnit! A stop running away!"Janus shouted.

Whilst chasing after him, she shot a dozen or so bullets from her igelstellung centered on the opponent and then followed on with two unlocked shots from her beam rifle aimed at the dunes in front of her opponent on both sides of the gap he was traveling in. She then peered through her shield which was positioned to protect her suit from knee up whilst she continued following.

[OOC: if i remember correctly... CIWS shouldn't be able to travel that far... but i'll just assume that it does and continue like that]

LL's internal alarms flared as the astray fired the CIWS at the suit and the two beam rifle shots at the sand dune. He pushed the thrusters to 80% and the stick forward to dived a little lower and evade the shots by speeding past them. However that move kicked up sand from the desert floor to his right side causing him to lose minor amounts of vision to his right side temporarily. The vision got worse as the beams hit the dunes and kicked up even more sand to obscure his vision. He did a little space-constraining barrel roll to clear away the sand.  Seeing out of the corner of the monitors he saw that the Astray was trying to follow him through the dune.

Don't burn your own thrusters up by following Janus he thought to himself as he shot through the valley between dunes then pulling his stick to the left to curve around the sand dune disappearing from the view of the Astray. He cut thrusters back to 50% and kept low to the desert floor. Holding the stick tightly to stop it vibrating as much, he started to  do a difficult to track and follow terrain following maneuver away and around the Astray.

The desert heat radiating out from the desert floor should be able to cover most of my heat signatures since its the middle of the day where the temperature is the hottest. The amount of sand that is being kicked up should be minimal since I've cut thrusters down to 50%. Although its still detectable by the naked eye, by the time they get to the spot where I was I won't be there. I'll this as an advantage to lead the Astray to a spot where I can test out this new move. he muttered to himself as he prepared his cannon as well as his missiles to fire.

Janus lowered her thrust and landed stationary on ground level, beam at the ready behind her shield after her initial shots collided into the dunes. She slowly approached by foot to the cloud of sand formed after the Murasame had barreled his way through the explosion. As she neared and the mist resettled down, she realized that the Murasame had got through that situation without problem.

damn, she muttered through her gritted teeth. She switched on her heat sensors out of routine and ridiculed herself for her stupid action, of course you cant use that! The heat hides his just as much as it hides your heat signatures idiot!

As the heat sensors retreated into its usual position, Janus battled out in her mind as to where Lucifer may have gone, all whilst scanning her surroundings for the unusual. left? right? not up. I'd have seen him right after that blast if he did... She picked up on a light trail of dust being kicked up to her left. Without thinking much, her hands reached for the thrust lever again, but retreated as she read her heat signatures to be at 80%. Instead she decided to pursue by foot and began running up the hill of a sand dune to the top.

Upon reaching its climax, Janus began another physical scan of the terrain from the high grounds she was on... damn it where is he?! she cried out to herself. She'd always hated wild goose chases due to her impatient manner. Halfway through the scan, she realized she was a sitting duck standing up on the horizon of the massive dune. Shield still at the ready, she began backing her way down the opposite side of the dune she'd climbed up on...

LL was 3/4 of his way through his terrain following and required to check the approximate location of his opponent before going in for an attack. As he passed between two big dunes, he pushed his thrusters up to max for a second to create a big dust cloud trail as though he had crashed before almost instantly pushing it to 10% just enough for him to keep in the air but at the same time slow the Murasame into the dust cloud as he pulled his stick up and a little to the right so that his Murasame rises with the sand screen going up and stays to the right as much as possible so that the radar can do the work in tracking where his opponent is but the MA would be behind a screen where it wont be able to be spotted as easily.

Hope the pilot thought i did crashed so she would move the MS this way. It'd be hard to see through the dust cloud... but i got to be careful with my own thrusters... doing that too many times would kill the thrusters in the long run since sand does get into the engines... although not much now... in the long run it will clog up. he thought  to himself as the radar completed its work and he pushed the stick back down so that he could continue his terrain following but with his thrusters at 30% instead of 50% so that the amount of sand in the dust trail would decrease. Looking down at his screen his radar had picked up that Janus was located behind a massive sand dune and a few smaller dunes dotted around it. He changed it back to MS mode and landed near the zone where the massive dust cloud is beginning to settle and waited for his prey to show up.

"The trap is set and the terrain here is perfect." he muttered to himself as he watched the screen

Edited by Guest

While Janus was backing down to ground level, she was figuring out options she had to locate her opponent. She turned around, back facing the dune she was coming down from and instantly spotted a sudden large cloud of dust arise not too far away behind a smaller dune. Her first thought was He crashed?! and impulsively lowered her shield and let her thrust carry her the short distance between her and what she thought was a crash site. Although this was a coliseum battle, Janus had not wanted there to be severe injuries let alone death to have been inflicted in battle. There shouldn't be casualties for the sake of a game! she raged inside an increased her thrust.

She was in line with the sand cloud and still approaching. Though the dust was settling, she still couldn’t make out anything in it. Weird... she queried and continued to approach using her thrust but slowly lowering it.

Nearing the site, she switched on the public channel and asked, hey! you alright?!

Chance! the thought popped into his head as he saw the opponent lowered her thrust forward well within the beam rifle range and queried through the public comm channel. Moving the MS out from behind the dune towards the Astray's right hand side ( OOC: the rifle hand hand side) he locked onto the opponent's MS head and fired 3 shots in succession. Pushing his thrusters to 80% he launches up from the ground, turns into MA form and he squints his eyes as the rays of the sun hits his eyes and pulls the stich up and left and does a steep barrel roll climb to a point above the Astray just inside the beam rifle range. Turning around with the sun behind him, he does another lock at the MS head with the cannon and prepares to fire it as well as two missiles.

Ahh the joys of a close range ambush he muttered to himself

Edited by Guest

Shi- Janus cried as soon as the red lights began flashed, signaling the danger coming from her right, you sneaky little ferret!!!

She loss no time in thinking and pulled her thrust to an absolute zero. Landing with a thud, she swerved the right side of the suit back so that it was in line with the left side to reduce the chances of her suit being hit at all. At the same time, Janus brought forth the shield on her left arm so that it covered the body of her astray without fail. I lose my head I lose the battle, she resonated from the rules.

Before she attempted what she had planned, the murasame had, as if without speed constraints, launched and situated itself right above her. Janus twisted the head to view the murasame with confidence that she had the beam shots covered for. As the cameras came in contact with the sunlight, the image slightly fuzzed up and Janus immediately scowl at the fact that she’d forgotten about the sun.

She knelt her unit so that her left leg would aid the arm in recoil. As soon as sequence of beams hit her shield, she pushed her thrust 100% to left and her unit began to stride to the right. Need cover damnit, she hissed whilst heading to a dune just 50 meters away.

[OOC: roger that i'll slow down with the MA modes from now on... dont think i'll be using it anymore soon though...]

As LL watched from above at the moving Astray, he pressed the trigger and fired the 2 missiles at the Astray and locking the beam cannon on a spot that was just before the entrance of the dune in the direction that the Astray was trying to get to. Fun's over time for the real fight to begin he thought to himself as he thrustered the MA into a rolling dive with the sun behind him targeting the Astray.

Again the cockpit flooded with red alert. Beam cannon and two missiles, Janus muttered.

As soon as her OS recognized the beam cannon to not be aimed directly at her, she loss no more time in thinking. She swiveled around and threw her rifle at her opponent before dropping her thrust to zero again. She reached over her shoulder for her saber and bent the knee joints just in time to dodge the cannon that eradicated half the left side of the ‘V’ on the head and slightly seared the same side of her Aile pack.

Missiles were closing in 10 meters. Her rifle was set to hit the murasame in 15. Janus posed her unit to be vertically facing Lucifer and brought forth the shield on her left arm positioned it so that it covered the body of her astray and would block the majority of the sunlight.

My thrusters can’t handle much more of this, especially if the missiles cause too much additional resistance. Maybe… Janus didn’t hesitate at the thought. She knew if she didn’t do this she’d lose the chance to go in for close combat and ultimately the battle.

She angled the shield slightly down so that when the missiles collide, it would not cause as much resistance and rather propel her a bit more in altitude.

Using the bent knee joints as a launch, Janus catapaulted her unit towards the charging murasame and at the same time maxing her thrust forward with the intention of doing three things. One- block the two missiles; two- ram into her opponent in mid-air after he turns back into ms mode, and when recoiling from blocking her rifle; and three- drawing a saber attack straight after.

[OOC: Please let liubei check this before you post Houston ]

Edited by Guest

Must evade he desperately thought to himself as the beam rifle that the Astray has thrown flies directly at his diving path. He locks onto the beam rifle as quickly as he could and launches one of the remaining 2 missiles that he has left in his arsenal.

when this hits... it'd be about 5m before it hits me so it will be able to push me out of there... but i'd get hit too... but I have to avoid confrontation on the opponent's terms... must have my own terms he muttered to himself.

He pulls the stick up a little and holds it steady to attempt to pull out of his dive towards the ascending Astray so that when the explosion from the missile resulting from the collision of the missile and the beam rifle, it would be able to forcibly push the Murasame out of its dive pattern.

The missile hits the beam rifle directly in the center causing the explosion that he wanted, however the force from the expanding gases was only just enough to push him out of his dive, he sighs with a little gratitude that he was able to get out of that small trouble, however his enjoyment didn't last long as he heard as well as felt the shrapnel from the remain of the beam rifle clang into the tail fins as the Murasame was flying back up. He holds the stick as straight as he could to steady the MA from going into an uncontrollable dive and resumes a new dive pattern once again at the Astray this time a slower but steadier and wider arcing dive, so that the Astray wont be able to notice what has happened to the Murasame, that will intercept at the point where the Astray will fall when the missiles hit the shield.

Need this to end real fast.... I can prob get one more shot of the cannon in before I have to get out of MA mode... thats it plan B... set... complete! he muttered to himself excitedly as he prepped his cannon for firing as he neared the zone.

[OOC: fixed it so that damage was actually sustained^^ thanks for reminding me lui that MA do get damaged at close distance]

Edited by Guest

Janus caught a glimpse of her rifle exploding before the missiles hit her shield. damn, Janus muttered through her gritted teeth while keeping an eye on her thruster’s heat levels and attempting to hold her shield steady against the explosion, he must’ve turned. But to where, she did not know.

If he’s moved then I have no point in wasting any more of my energy Janus thought, eyeing the thruster’s temperature as it pasted 93%. Janus pulled her thrust back to zero again. She hoped her acute drop wasn’t predicted and at the same time, that her her thrusters would last longer than when she uses it to soften her landing rough that was to follow.

As soon as Janus was dropping away the explosion, she shifted the left arm back to its stationary position and jerked her head around to look for her opponent. As she spotted the murasame closing in from her left, she retrieved her saber and held it tight to her right so that in the view of the mursame, it would be behind her body which is behind the shield she’d rigidly positioned upside down to vertically defend her unit.

He cant possibly hit be with anything except his homed missiles at the rate I’m dropping…

Edited by Guest

The Astray's falling much faster than expected he thought to himself as he saw the missiles collide with the shield and propel her towards the ground. He also adjust the angle of his own dive so that when the Astray notices him, it'd already be in range of the cannon. However as soon as he noticed that the head of the Astray turning to this direction and the shield going back to the normal position with beam saber on the right hand, he locked on and fired a missile at her shield hand. Increasing the thruster levels to 70% and finger on the cannon trigger, he sped faster towards point where the path of the Astray's fall will intercept the path of his own dive.

"almost there... almost there..." he mumbled to himself

Edited by Guest

'Shit', Janus cried when she saw the murasame fire another missile. She tilted her shield and fired several dozens rounds from her CIWS which successfully destroyed the missile at a considerable distance. However, as her radar showed the enemy closing in at an even faster speed, she chose to again reposition her ready for whatever the Murasame had installed.

'Fifteen seconds 'til landing...' Janus mumbled, 'moving out of the way of that beam cannon shouldn’t be a problem if that's what he's planning...'

LL fixes the path of the decent so that the Murasame is intercepting the falling Astray he locks onto the shield hand as soon as he gets within beam rifle range and fires the beam cannon.

Thats the end of the MA mode... don't want to damage the suit any further he thought to himself as he pulls the stick away to the left and presses the button to transform back to MS mode.

As the cockpit flared in red again, Janus made a quick decision and relinquished her grip of the shield. She thrusted to the left far enough for the explosion of the shield in the path of the beam cannon to not affect her unit.

Though it was tempting to do something in the process of her enemy returning to MS mode, Janus had long lost her rifle in quite a failed attempt to close in for close combat.

Idiot! she scorned herself whilst thinking back at what'd happened just minutes before. It's always been a fact that she'd at times, do things knowing they probably weren't going to work. But grasping tightly to that slight possibility she impulsively chooses the minor option. Against all odds or not, so long as she believe in it she was not going to alter the path she was set on, including this battle.

Her opponent was almost done. Janus had already begun reducing her drop speed and was coming in for landing. Contact was made with a quiet but eerie crack, followed by a damage report that filled one of the screens.

Janus glanced at it and muttered "a damaged knee all and nothing I need," she'd rushed behind a dune just large enough to cover the whole of her frame. Janus reached for her other saber and turned the original one off so that she saved her unit's power.

You can do it Janus, you can do it. she affirmed herself whilst waiting for the enemy to close in. She didn’t want to wear out the joints or overheat the thrusters. Glancing at the radar, the murasame was yet to move....

[OOC: that was what I meant liubei but I'll be more direct ;] ]

Edited by Guest