Bunin' in Carpentaria

XxBRICKSTERxX

Grabbing his bags James made his way to the dorms. The sun was beaming down on him and it started to get annoying, but much like the other soldiers on the base in time he would get used to it.

The large building was better looking then any other military dorm he had seen.    Walking in he looked at his assignment papers, breezing on past "Meet at Hanger XX" he looked for his room number.  After checking the room number he looked for any signs which would direct him.

In time he found his way to the room.  The journey to the room was not bad at all, wooden floors, flowers, and the occasional portrait on the wall of some women  in a dress.  Entering the wooden door with the brass knob, James entered.  It was a standard military room, but instead of the stereotypical concrete 4x4 walls, it was replaced with well finished wood.  There was one window opposite of the door and to the left of the window was a single sized bed.  To the right of the window was a small desk with a computer on it.  Walking in farther he saw a bathroom on his right along with a wardrobe.

He was tired so as soon as the bags fell on the floor he fell on the bed.  Grabbing his music player. He put them on a drifted off to sleep.

ZAFTcarpentariabasedorm.jpg

Listening to a couple of songs James realized how truly bored he was.  Getting up he through his MP3 player on to the desk, it was sure to break one of these days.  Grabbing his bags he neatly took out the uniforms and civilian clothes.  There were set into the draws carefully no to wrinkle.  Yawning he wondered how his other teammates were getting in to their rooms.  He did not know any of them, and really had no aspiration to meet them.  Although Karl, James, did know.

Getting up he walked out the door and peeked outside to see if any others were around.  Stepping out he began a search for food or Karl.

Having spent some extra time admiring his new mobile suit Kanto was late arriving in the dormitory. It was big and all but Kanto truly didn't care it was a place to rest his head till they got aboard the Lesseps carrier which was what truly interested him. As Kanto walked inside the dormitory he was pushing a hand truck with something covered with a blanket inside on it and had a backpack on and made his way to his assigned room.

As he traversed the steps upwards he drifted off into his thoughts and began to wonder about what his father was like when he got assigned his first MS and carrier. Getting to the top of the stairs he continued to walk backwards still deep in his thoughts bumped into his new teammate James. Shooting him a dirty look for breaking his concentration continued to the room one door down on the opposite side of the hall without saying a word and opened the door  and wheeled the hand truck inside.

Leaving the door slightly ajar Kanto placed whatever was on the hand truck in an empty corner and put the hand truck into the empty closet. Shutting the closet door he tossed the small backpack onto the bed and reached over and whipped the sheet off of the item recently transported revealing a Sui Sau Jong which was used in martial arts to replicate an enemies counter attacks to improve reaction times and form. Stripping off his green uniform revealing only his black muscle shirt Kanto began to practice Wing Chun, the martial arts taught to him by his Grandparents, with the wooden dummy exhaling with every strike and inhaling with every block.

Karl was never much of a deadline person, so he was late arriving to the dorms. Karl was preparing an excuse in the event that an officer asked him where he was. In truth, Karl had bee relaxing in his MS cockpit, waiting for something to happen. He snapped out of his thoughts when he noticed that he was going to have to climb a rather large looking set of stairs. "Damn it." Karl started to make his way up the stairs when he saw two of his comrades bump into each other on the stairs. He saw one give the other a dirty look and continue up the stairs.

When he got up there, he saw that one of them was James. "What the hell was his problem?"

Maybe looking for the teammates was not such a good idea James thought to himself as he was pushed back.  He did not really mind it was a careless mistake.  Looking at the new comer he was about to apologize, but the bad look stopped him.

Excuse me?

But his reaction was no good.  The newcomer went into his room and began banging and throwing things.  About to return to his quite world of music and being alone, James paused.

What the hell was his problem?

Came from the stairs.  Turning to see who was his defender, James saw a older man walking towards him.  It was Karl from training at the Armory One.  Clearing his throat James began to speak.

You saw that?  It doesn't matter really.  Anyway where have you been?

James said leaning against his wooden door frame.

There was some serious team issues shared by all the member. James said to himself as he looked at Karl.

After having sorted through some administrative details Ahrend drug himself back and into the house, fortunately he had moved in some time ago and didn't have to go through the process of unpacking and getting used to the new dormitory, though "dormitory" did very little to describe his current surroundings.  Passing through the hallway in a manor more befitting a wraith than a person Ahrend decided to let his pilots hash out their own differences and that he would only intervene when things got too serious.

Opening up the door to his own room, which unlike many commanders was exactly like the ones his troops lived in, Ahrend kicked off his boots and shirt so that he now only wore his khaki pants and tank top.  With a slightly greater sense of freedom Ahrend grabbed a towel and, using the door in the nearby kitchen, he slipped out and into the estate's large backyard.

The lawn was short and showed signs that it had been trimmed earlier this morning which only made Ahrend happier, long wet grass was too easy to slip on.  Tossing his towel off and to the side Ahrend began a regimented exercise consisting mostly of pushups and situps for a brief warm up and then a run to the far end of the yard and back; though it didn't sound like a long distance in his mind there was at least half a mile between the estate and the nearby woods and Ahrend had more than broken a sweat by the time he had come back.

Moving on into what he considered to be a more important phase of his workout Ahrend trotted off to the old garage at the end of the estate.  Inside was a new, red punching bag that he had only put up a few days before.  Ahrend quickly got in the mood and after a few seconds of hopping from one foot to the other he entered a boxer's stance and proceeded to go to work on the bag.  The scuffle of his feet echoed in the garage as he circled and worked the bag, dropping his guard only to execute a left hook, or a right jab, or a combination of punches that would land in quick succession.

Still not finished Ahrend shifted his weight, moving from traditional boxing to kick boxing.  With his long legs Ahrend launched attacks up and down the bag pounding it into submission as he delivered a series of roundhouse kicks followed by an ax kick.  Feeling warm enough Ahrend moved into his third art, the form in which he was most proficient.  Ahrend had learned Jeet-Kune-Do after having dabbled in many arts but not finding the freedom he longed for.  This particular style was hardly a style at all, instead it was a form of fighting that encouraged self expression and lacked an adherence to many particular rules.  That being said Ahrend moved in a whirl as he used multiple attacks from different styles moving from one to the other in an attempt to subdue his imagined opponent.

Finally Ahrend moved into Tai boxing, an art which had always fascinated him but one that he had never been able to study.  Using a quick succession of elbow and knee attacks Ahrend delivered one final attack using the back of his right elbow to the bag's face, and that was when he felt his shoulder move.  The long day must have caused his body to be slightly looser than it should have been and since he had neglected giving it attention Ahrend now had a dislocated shoulder.

It wasn't the first time that it had happened but Ahrend still gritted his teeth from the pain, and also because of what he was about to do.  Pressing his back against a nearby wall Ahrend grabbed his right arm with his left hand and forced the joint back into place, being rewarded with a loud popping noise as the joint set.  Releasing a deep breath Ahrend just leaned there for a moment before he slowly made his way back into the house and into his room.

Once he was back inside Ahrend looked at his clock and realized that nearly two hours had passed and that the house was currently quiet.  Flopping down on his bed he closed his eyes and tried to not think about his throbbing shoulder.

Karl looked amazed by the reaction James gave him. "What do you mean it doesn't matter? Kid, you way to soft for your own good. Stand up for yourself for once." Karl was puzzled why James won't stand up for himself. That other guy seemed to be in a bad mood, so Karl figured he'd drop by to find out the problem. Karl stood there and thought about something a comrade of his told him. "Oh, you wanted to know where I was? I was, uh, sleeping in my cockpit." Karl gave a weak smile. " So what are you up to?"

James thought about Karl's words.  He didn't know why he let people push him around.  He had no problems making friends, but when it came to confrontations he always backed down.

I just put all my luggage away.  I am actually kind of hungry.  After you are done getting settled we should find some food.

James said as he turned back into his room.  Trying to by pass some time, James went back to his music and tried to sleep.  The sound was not heard, but the vibrations of his new neighbor doing something could be felt.  He just ignored it and went to sleep.

Karl stood in the stairwell for a few moments after James left. "That guys politeness is gonna get him killed one day. Now, since the only luggage I have are the things I'm wearing, I think I'll go visit that other guy." Karl wasn't usually one to interfere in the problems of others, but this guy would probably get in his way, so Karl figured that he would... "introduce" himself before anything happened.

As Karl climbed the cold metal stairs, it reminded him of his past fights. He remembered the first time he ever killed another person, how good it felt to take out all his anger and hatred of the naturals, for what they had done to him and his fellow coordinators, and use it to destroy any one who opposed him. For this small moment in time, Karl remembered how it felt to be alive, to realize his full potential and be rewarded for killing the enemy. Karl was brought back to his senses when he heard the faint sound of fighting of some sort.

Karl wasn't one for risking his own neck against an unknown adversary. When he arrived at the pilots door, Karl took out his side arm, checked the magazine, pushed it back into the gun and cocked it and finally removing the safety. He was also carry his own personal combat knife in a pouch attached to his left forearm  . "Although this is probably over kill, I'd rather that then be killed myself". With that, Karl holstered his sidearm and opened the door. "Pardon me." 

Kanto's hands moved at lightning speed hitting and blocking against the multiple wooden arms and the one moving arm of the wooden dummy. As the door to his room swung open Kanto performed a palm strike on the moving arm the force from the strike snapping the arm in half.

“Pardon me.” As his arm slid across the sharp wood it put a deep gash down the side of his right arm cutting the bandage that covered his arms in half. As the blood instantly begins to drip from his arm he turns to look at the person who opened his door. Seeing his new squad member Pilot Rhine Kanto began to strip off the bandages from both arms revealing both arms covered with old burn marks.

“What can I do for you.” Kanto reached into the bag he dropped on his bed earlier pulling out a roll of medical cloth. As he began to wrap both his arms his right was now covered in a red sheet. Kanto stared into his new team members eyes the cold void in his own eyes able to pierce through Rhine.

Karl looked around the room, taking in as much as he could. The man he was now looking at wasn't all that much younger than himself, yet there was something different about him. He seemed a little distant, almost like he was feeling guilty of something.

"What can I do for you?"

The question snapped Karl out of his line of thoughts and back to the here and now. Karl quickly noticed the cold look in this pilots eyes. It's almost like he's trying to look through me or something. Realizing that he hadn't answered the man question, he quickly replied. "Yes you can. I saw your little performance on the stairwell with James. That's not a very comrade like thing to do. It was only an accident after all." Karl didn't expect this to go well, so he added another thing before things got bad. "Have you ever fought before? Killed someone? Watched your comrades die?" Karl didn't expect this kid to answer any of his questions, but it was worth a shot.

With all that said, Karl turned, faced the door and started to leave.

Kanto wrapped the gauze tightly around his arms never taking his eyes off of Rhine.

“... It was only an accident after all.” Kanto knew this wasn't true there was no such thing as an accident everything happened for a reason that small bump in the hall and Kanto's bad reaction would mean something down the road though neither knew it. But before Kanto could even give a reply to the first question the new squad member had another for him this one much more personal.

“Have you ever fought before? Killed Someone? Watched your comrades die?” Kanto didn't have a problem answering after all who knows how it could lead to the completion of his destiny.

“I've fought a few people, killed my Father, watched my grandparents, mother and brother die. Anything else I can facilitate in helping with?” Kanto's expression never changing from the cold look of determination that he started with. Kanto could smell war on the horizon with the EA and USSA on thin ice it was only a matter of time before PLANT was pulled in and then, Kanto hoped, he could find solace somewhere on that battlefield.

OOC: sorry for the late reply.

Laike Rinawan had been busy practicing a few different punches and kicks in his dorm. He had missed his regular practice as he had been rather busy. To make up for it, he made his practice session a lot longer than it normally was.He threw multiple punches hard and fast.His kicks were the same as he was pleased that the miss of a training session hadn't caused him to get careless in his strikes.

He began to unpack his stuff.He hadn't packed a lot of stuff, the majority of it being clothes.He went to over to the wardrobe to put his clothes in.He hung up his two spare red ZAFT uniforms and two spare t-shirts.Laike stuck the rest of his clothes in the wooden drawer near the bed. He took out three pictures of his family, on of his father, one of his mother and a most recent one of his sister.Laike stood them up in the three different photo stands and left them on the top of the drawer.

Laike pulled out his black mobile with blue glow around the keys from which had been deep in his pocket, to check his messages and found he had a new text from his sister.He read the text then replied back quickly, noticing the battery was low.He went over to the drawer where he had put his pictures of family and hooked up the mobile to its charger.He flicked the switch on the power point to turn on the charger.

He left his dorm which was right next to Kanto's, to see how his other squad members were doing.He noticed Karl entering Kanto's dorm. He decided he might as well visit Kanto's dorm first seeing it was next to his.As he approached the door, he overheard talking between two squad members and went down the stairs instead to visit James' dorm.

Karl chuckled. "So other than that, you've never gotten your hands dirty?" Karl paused for a moment. The handgun felt heavy in its holster. "Killing your family isn't something to be proud of boyo. You shouldn't burn bonds that you have with your comrades. In combat, they might one day save your sad ass." Karl was a little troubled by what he saw.

"Oh yes, there is one other thing I would ask of you. would you be so kind as to apologize to James in relation to your less than admirable conduct in the stairway?" Karl was well aware that this punk would never do this, but it was worth a shot.

What in ignorant moron this man was to think that he wanted to kill his own father and that he had anything to do with the death of the rest of his family. Kanto inhaled deeply at the fools words he obviously didn't , unlike Kanto, read the public files on his fellow team mates. Kanto hoped silently that this mans destiny was to die a humiliating death on the battlefield but he knew unfortunately it wasn't up to Kanto to decide.

"I will not apologize because there is nothing to apologize for, what happened happened because it was destined too and there was no choice in the matter. I will never give apologies and I never expect one based on that reasoning." With that Kanto whipped the door closed the sound of the slamming reverberating throughout the halls.

As soon as the door shut, Karl burst out laughing, thinking about his little escapade. He pulled the heavy handgun out of his pocket, and flipped the safety on. "That prick is gonna get a lot of good men killed just so he can die a "hero's death"." Karl had read the files on all of the people he was going to have to fight with when the next war broke out. He was well aware of this man past, and as sad as it might be, it was no excuse for his behavior.

Karl kept laughing all the way to his next stop, Wullf's quarters. The entire way, Karl was trying to imagine what awful things that guy was thinking. "I'm sure that if I gave that prick the chance, he'd try and kill me." Before he said this, his laughing had died down, But after thinking about this guy trying to kill him, the laughing started right back up again. When Karl did finally reach Wullf's door, he was completely zoned out and pounded on the door. "Hey Wullf get out here. I need something." In truth, Karl had just sorta wondered here and didn't have a real reason to talk to Wullf, but that hadn't stopped him before.

"Oi, oi, oi!"  Ahrend stayed where he was on his bed even as Karl knocked on the door and hollered like a child.  "I can't think of anything that you could have to talk to me about, at least before you talk with the other members of your squad."  Still, Ahrend got up and open his door, making sure to put his tank top back on before he did.

"Whether we're here or in the field I can't always be the one you need to talk to, though it doesn't sound like you and the others are getting along so well..."  Wullf let his words hang in the air since he had no desire to be anything but blunt at the moment.

James was pulled out of his trans.  Light came back to his world and the music faded out.  Pulling his headphones off, James was angry.  Getting up he threw his mp3 player to his desk.  Clearing his throat he made his way to the door.  Grabbing the brass door knob James stepped out.

Looking to where the noise was coming from, he spotted Karl and Wullf talking.  I doubt they were fighting. James said to himself as he looked the opposite way only to find Laike.

Sir? Any idea where the racket is coming from?

James said in a cool voice.  even though they were not on a battle field, James still kept respect.

Karl wasn't surprised by Wullf's response. "Sir, I would permission to leave the facilities, to uh, take a breather from the rest of team. As I have said many times, not that you listened, that I hate teams. I need a break." Karl turned and started to walk away. "Oh and one more thing. Even if you say no to my request, I'm still leaving. Just for the record." Karl was well aware that this would land him in deep trouble, but he did need a break, so he was going to take one. It's not like we'll be attacked any time soon, so what's the problem?

As he headed out, he saw James talking with some guy. "Hey James, you wanna grab a bit to eat?" He looked at the other guy. "Don't mean to be rude, but who are you?"

Wullf waved as Karl walked away, not that he was their babysitter and they needed his permission to leave.

"I think I've told you before but you don't need to tell me when you're coming or going, just so long as you're around to train."  Shutting his door Wullf went back inside and laid back down on his bed, intent on getting some much needed rest.

Hey James, you wanna grab a bit to eat? Don't mean to be rude, but who are you?

James turned to see Karl.  James new he was just being normal Karl, but still.  Laike was the second in charge of this squad. Letting out a little smile, James quickly tried to change the topic.

Laike, if you don't mind me calling you by your first name.  Want to find some food.  I don't think there is anything interesting going on up here.

James said as he turned to Karl, and gave him a weird look.

See any food downstairs?

Kanto moved away from the door the mans childish remarks still ringing in his ears. Kanto clenched his fists and felt some sort of liquid in his right hand. Lifting his right arm up he noticed that the bandages where already bleeding through. Kanto moved towards his bag which lay on his bed still unwrapping the bandages from his right arm as he walked. Picking up the bag Kanto sat opened it pulling out a needle, thread, and a small bottle of Southern Comfort and made his way into the bathroom. Now standing over the sink he dropped the bandages into the garbage can and opened the wound on his arm checking the damage. Well I missed the arteries of course but its bleeding more than I thought it would.

With that he threaded the needle and poured some of the alcohol on it disinfecting it. Kanto then took a sip from the bottle and began to stitch the wound. Kanto kept his face stern and emotionless as he bound the two halves of the wound together. When he finished he placed the needle and thread on a nearby shelf and looked at back at his arm the burn scars from long ago where one of the memories that still haunted him. Looking up he looked at the scars on his cheek touching them they still hurt but he didn't mind he deserved and welcomed the pain for what he did. Why wont you let me die God what do you want from me?

Picking up the small bottle of alcohol Kanto took another sip and walked out of the bathroom and re-wrapped his arm in bandages. Once of finished he slid open his window looking outside noticed be was able to walk out onto the roof. Taking opportunity of this he slid his way out of the window and lay on the roof looking up at the starry night sky and breathed in the fresh air. Kanto liked the PLANTS hell they were his home but the fresh air of earth was unmatched. Good thing I got assigned to Carpentaria I suppose.

"Nothing really. I'm headin of base anyways. You wanna come?" Karl was completely oblivious to the fact that the second in command was standing right there. As Karl turned to leave, not even waiting for James' response, he whipped around and faced the other guy. "I got it now, your my fire team leader right? Sorry bout that, I...uh have problems with names and faces." With that, Karl turned and started to walk away.

OOC: sorry about this being shorter than normal I didn't get much time to write this.

IC:"Yeah I'll come, its better than staying in the dorms all day."Laike really didn't like the dorms.They were nicely decorated and all but there was very little to do aside from a few practices.At least walking around trying to find something to eat would burn some time.Besides ever since he came to the base, it has seemed to make him more hungry than usual, most likely due to the heat.

"Oh and James, you along with everybody else in this squad are allowed to call me by me first name, I don't mind."Laike really didn't care what they call him however he didn't tell them this as he didn't want to  start disrespecting him purposely just because he said that they're allowed to.

Edited by Guest

James agreed with the two of them, he needed to get off base.  Scratching the back of his head James said.

Sure, I guess I'll go.  We should probably get a Jeep.

James said as he gestured for them to get moving.  As James began to wlk down the hall he turned to Laike.

If you wish to be called Laike, then alright.