Re: It starts

XxBRICKSTERxX

OOC: I do not know the first thing about RPing in a MS.  But my character does so I will play the part.  I think two students at a time would good, for the training session.

IC:

Holding on to the hand railing, James was pulled through the long blue corridor.  It was cold, but that was space.  He had been stationed at the Armory One for a month now, and he was not happy about it.  He thought he was unhappy back when he was stationed at Aprilis, but that was nothing compared to the armory.

News of a team being formed back at Aprilis made him even more angry that he left there.  He was dieing to get in a MS, and for some reason luck and chance had been moving him away from them.  Until now that is.  This morning when he woke up, forms and paper work waited in his mail box to be filled out and brought to the main hanger on this date at XXXX hundred hours.  The papers said "Mobile Suit Re-Certification Class"  He didn't need to be re-certified though, he needed to pilot. 

That time was now.  His uniform was properly set, as well as all his paper work filled out correctly.  Maybe this would be his chance to get into a MS permanently.

He made his right and entered the hanger.  There he waited for the commanding officer to meet him.

"Damn it" Karl muttered to himself. He was standing outside the waiting room, trying to make himself look at least somewhat in order. As he finished straightening his uniform and try to get his papers in order, he paused . He'd been stuck in this place for about a year now, and he was tried of it. Karl was stuck in a rut, with drills and procedures everyday.

He was hoping that taking a Mobile Suit Re-Certification Class, he could at least get back into the cockpit and patrol space, maybe even get stationed back on Earth. But still, he didn't really need this course, he could still fly with the best of them. Footsteps down the hall snapped him back to reality. He check himself over once more, checked his papers and walked in. As he entered, he noticed that there was another soldier there. Maybe he got stuck in this re-certification class too. Karl walked over to the other side of the room and sat down, waiting for the commander to arrive. 

After having been removed from the Special Forces, which someone on some oversight committee somewhere had decided were unneeded in this day and age, Ahrend von Wullf had been transfered back to Armory One to act as a piloting instructor until another position could be found for him.  As it was in this, and in all things, the military seemed to do very well in enforcing its unofficial "hurry up and wait" policy and so Ahrend now made his way down a long hallway to a small lounge area where his students should be waiting.

Always taking the approach that it was best to make them wait for him, and not the other way around, Ahrend arrived several minutes late to find only two pilots waiting, 'So this is what they've given me to work with.'  Putting his personal feelings aside Ahrend floated into the low gravity room and came to a stop in front of the two young men.

"Good morning, I'm Lieutenant Ahrend von Wullf and as of now you're going to begin your recertification course for basic MS combat."  Taking the two men's papers Ahrend quickly skimmed through them and upon seeing that everything was in order he gave the two men their first orders.  "Pilots Zaiku and Rhine, you will both report to the hanger seven fitting rooms where you will be issued your flight suits.  Upon suiting up you'll then move into the training area of the hanger where you will each take command of one GINN.  These models are only used for training and so they do not fire live rounds, instead they use paint; they're melee weapons are also used strictly for training purposes so you may engage your targets with them.  After you're both suited up and ready to go I will contact you and you'll both receive further orders from there."

Making the assumption that these pilots were intelligent enough to follow his orders Ahrend left the small lounge and took an elevator down into a different part of the base.  Here there was also a mobile suit hanger only this one was reserved for qualified pilots.  Before heading to his MS Ahrend went into one of the locker rooms and donned his red flight suit.  After making sure that all of the seals were secure he floated out of the room and down a long catwalk until he reach his MS.  Unlike most pilots who preferred the newest MS available Ahrend had managed to acquire an older model, a GuAIZ R that he used as his own personal unit.  With the mechanics putting the finishing touches on the GuAIZ Ahrend floated into the cockpit and checked to make sure that none of his armaments were live and that his suit was prepared for a training exercise.

Upon seeing that everything was in order Ahrend contacted the ICS for hanger six.  "This is Lieutenant von Wullf prepared for training exercise 12063 and awaiting permission to launch."  It took only a second and as permission was given Ahrend moved his suit up and onto the launch platform.  As he watched through his screens the final checks went green and Ahrend was hurled out into space.  This was one of the few experiences that ever gave him this strong of a rush and he smiled to himself.

In his cockpit Ahrend counted the distance as he moved into a small debris field where the exercise would begin.  Since meeting with the pilots it had been nearly fifteen minutes, hopefully they would be ready to launch by now.

Karl got up to salute, but the lieutenant had already left and headed down the hall. He put his game face on and headed out the door towards the fitting rooms at hanger seven. Fourth time's the charm I suppose, but I'm getting sick of being brought back time and time again, but it can't be helped i guess. His thoughts were disrupted by a voice from behind him.

Karl turned to see who it was and to whom they were speaking, but they person left before he could see. With that out of the way, he continued towards the hanger. Upon reaching it, Karl was shocked to see that there very few pilots getting fitted. Anyway, he got a flight suit and headed out towards the hanger bay.

He as he moved into the hanger bay, he looked at the suit he was going to pilot. Man oh man, haven't gotten behind the wheel of one of these for a while. Karl boarded the, sealed the cockpit and looked around at the controls. Let's see if i remember how to do this. The activated primary systems, checked the OS and weapons configurations, activated main camera and moved out toward the catapult and got clearance for launch. " Karl Rhine, GINN lauching!" The exercise had begun.   

James stood up and saluted.  As the LT left and did not salute back, James made his way to the locker room.  Voices going through his head kind of made him uneasy about getting into a MS.  He was always told he was a strong fighter and good at giving orders.  But the orders would be better bossing people around on the ground.  His officer like qualities would do no one good in the air.

The corridor was blue and cold...but that was space.

The suit was quickly put on and the adjustments were made as James made his way to the hanger.  The GINN looked kind of beat up from training exercises, but ti was better then nothing.  Checking himself one last time he floated intot he cockpit and made sure everything was operational and the proper adjustments were mad to his likings.

Moving into position, James waited for the light.  As it went green James yelled.

Zaiku, GINN launching

His back was pushed onto the cockpit seat as the GINN shot forward into space.

Ahrend sighed as the two young men launched.  Amatuers, they never follow orders.  Flicking on his radio he called out to the pair of over-eager pilots.

"I believe that my instructions had been for you to both wait for further orders once you were in your GINNS.  If you disobey my orders at any other point throughout this exercise I will have you sent back to the academy."  Normally Ahrend was not this strict but given the circumstances of the pilot recertification course he really had no choice.

"Now, if you've both managed to work that out of your systems I would like you to both conduct basic space manuevers between here and point X1 which will be indicated on your HUDs as soon as I uplink to your mobile suits.  Please navigate the ateroid field and proceed to the first marker; be aware that some of the asteroids have been equiped with retro rockets so that they may function as moving obsticles."

Geeze, what's his problem? At least we showed up. We just saved sometime,  sorry. Karl paused to let himself calm down a bit, then waited for the rest of the instructions. The directions seemed simple enough, almost boring. It amused Karl with the fact that he had once enjoyed this sort of thing. He found even more amusing that the greatest worry on this drill will be retro rocket powered asteroids.

The marker X1 appeared on the units HUD. " Doesn't seem to far away and i do want to get this part over with so lets do this". With that, he moved the thruster output to full power and started through. The third or so of the coarse was boringly simple, just moving around large rocks, hell a recruit could do this. At the half way point, things got a little trickier. Karl flew passed this large one (asteroid), ducked under another one and was almost broadsided by a smaller asteroid with a booster engine. "Well, this coulda been messy and I hope they won't be too mad if i scratched the paint" he said as he looked at the left arm. It now had a 6 foot long scratch from were the asteroid had slide along it. Karl made it the rest of the way without to much more trouble, a few close calls, but nothing serious. When he reached the marker, Karl contacted the lieutenant and rather mockingly asked " What's next oh fearless leader?"

Ahrend sighed.

"Now is not the time to be cute Rhine.  Besides you should at least wait until your squadmate makes it through the debris field before asking about the next phase of your training after all, a decent chunk of your evaluation has to do with how you function in a team."

Even as he spoke Ahrend made his was through the vast expanse of wreckage being careful to not damage his mobile suit.  In most cases it was easy enough, dodging rocks that would spin for eternity in the vacuum of space typically didn't pose a problem.  The only real challenge that he encountered was one of the larger rocks which had been sent spinning towards him after it had collided with another rock that had been equipped with a booster.  "Damn it."

Pulling his GuAIZ R up ninety degrees Ahrend upped the throttle and managed to narrowly avoided being hit by the monstrosity.  With that last obstacle cleared he slowed down to meet at the checkpoint, eager to move onto the next stage.

" A major part of it is team based, why? In combat, the only person that is truly reliable is yourself, no one else." This comment confused Karl for a moment. He had never been one for a team though. Though this guy was a veteran, if he was he would know that. Aw well... He watched as the lieutenant pulled all these fancy maneuvers, like he was out to prove something. "Hey boss, maybe you should save those fancy moves for an air show or somethin. I not sure how you survived the bloody valentine wars dance round the naturals. And speakin of team mate, what the hell is taking him so long?"

James laughed at the newcomers rudeness.  Grabbing the throttle he put it to 75% speed and began to move into the asteroid field.

Moving into the field.

James added.  His GINN held his rifle in two hands close to his chest as he flew in between the small asteroids.  This was easy enough, until the larger rocks came.  James played with the throttle as he slowed down maneuvered then speed up.  On his right a large asteroid was coming for him.  He descended below it only to find a turret staring right at him.

Target sighted

Before the turret could move James let out three rounds of paint which hit the turret.  But the turrets were not the only threats in this field.  A smaller asteroid which broke of one of the larger ones hit the GINN's left foot wile James let his guard down.  The GINN made one spin, but James calmed it.

He began again through the field.  As he exited he made sure to note that all members were out of the field.

'That's it.'  With a cold amount of calculation Ahrend raised the arm of his GuAIZ R that held his modified rifle and fired it.  Three shots of paint traveled a rather short distance and made contact with the back of Karl's GINN.  Then he flipped his radio onto a closed channel between himself and Rhine.

"That's enough Pilot Rhine, I'm not about to tolerate any more of your insubordination.  I don't know exactly what your problem is but even here in ZAFT we do things by the book and that means following orders and watching your squad's back, otherwise most of us would've been dead a long time ago."

Returning his radio to its normal setting Ahrend spoke with both pilots.  "Congratulations on completing the first part of the course, now we're going to move onto basic targeting."  Quickly he sent a new set of instructions to each pilot's GINN.  "The markers on your HUD will show you your new targets gentlemen.  These beacons, like the asteroids, will move periodically.  I expect you to engage them at range and to "destroy" each one of them, more instructions will follow after you finish."

Karl went to a private channel that connected him directly to Wullf. "Well I'm sorry oh great one, but I can't say i agree with the whole team work thing. Most of my comrades died because they were watching each others back. So obviously they weren't as well trained as you were or they weren't ment to live, is that what you're implying?" Now Karl just getting pissed off with the lieutenant. What did he know, it's not like he saw his best friend disappear in a large blast." Maybe you should be quiet for once eh Wullf. And I would enjoy being sent back to the academy, for the record. All you care about are your goddamn promotions." With that, Karl turned off his transmitter and shot the GINN towards the first target on the HUD. These targets are to easy to take out. A child could do this. Karl was navigating part of the course, he started to think that well, maybe he was wrong. Maybe I stepped out of line before, with the lieutenant. Damn it, all he seems to care about are promotions and getting a high ranking assignment.

Karl finished the course quickly and re activated his transmitter. He opened a private line with the lieutenant. "Sir, I wish to apologize relating to my unforgivable behavior. If it's necessary, I will submit a transfer sheet as soon as I return to the armory. It's your decision."

Edited by Guest

OOC: Explain this one...How does paint fly through space?

And no efence Sven but I thought we were not aloud to have MS experience in our backgrounds? I could be mistaken though.

IC: James was a little confused.  As far as he had seen the LT had done nothing wrong.  He held back, on making comments.  That would only make him a target of harassment.  The two became quite, James realized the LT must be reprimanding him on another line.  Ignoring the two, James followed his mission.  This was a learning exercise, James was trying to learn.

Grabbing the throttle he moved forward a bit.  Stabilizing the GINN, he raised his rifle.  When his HUD lit up with red targets, rounds of paint began to fly from the GINN.  It hit targets easily, until the targets started moving.  James cringed a bit as the GINN moved the rifle around taking out the targets.

When the targets were finished James spoke over the Com.

Objective complete, Sir.

OOC - Paint flies through space since it is being propelled by the weapons that we're firing it from, the same way that a bullet does.  So long as it has its own source of air to create pressure a paintball gun should, in theory, work in outer space.

I have to go to work so I'll add to this post later.

Ahrend remained silent as he moved onto the next part of the exercise.

"For this next phase both of you will engage a red GINN which is currently being launched from Armory One.  It is being piloted by one of ZAFT's senior test pilots and though we are not using live ammunition you should treat this as though it were a real battle."

The red GINN streaked through the debris belt at top speed, barely slowing down as it dodged the hulls of destroyed ships and small asteroids that zipped through space.  Upon exiting the field the GINN gave no quarter to the trainees and immediately opened fire on them, raining down a barrage of "bullets" on them.

OOC: Your aloud to have some MS experience in your backround, like if you fought in the last two wars.

IC:"Sir, what is the next part of the training?" Karl had toned down a bit. He was well aware that he had stepped way to far out of line. He was also aware that lieutenant could remove him from his retraining program after his little...out burst. But, then again, thems the brakes. Karl had done this before, and the CO back them was the same way.

Karl started thinking out loud, not realizing that the communication channel was still open between his GINN and Wullf's GuAIZ R. "One of these days, I'm gonna need a hand in a fight, and no one's is gonna come and help. Guess that would be the ultimate revenge for all the arrogance I've displayed..." Karl stopped when he realized that the channel was still open. Now he was embaressed, knowing that Wullf might have heard all this. Damn, my mouth gets me in crap again.

Seeing the GINN maneuver through the asteroid field intimidated James a little.  But it would not show in his performance.  Sitting in the cockpit James listened the the commander's orders.  He was calm until the red GINN opened fire.

Look out!

James yelled hoping that Karl would move in time.  Grabbing the throttle James moved his GINN and side stepped the incoming fire.  As the Jame's GINN slid the the left he began to pump paint into space, hoping to hit the red GINN.  As the red GINN dodged the paint by the hairs on his neck his rounds kept coming toward James.  He needed a new approach, full throtle Jame's GINN shot up.

Two sided fight Karl.  We need to hit him from both sides.

James of corse was speaking out loud.  He was sure Karl new what to do, he even gained a bit of confidence to think he was not alone out there.  As Jame's GINN flew up more rounds pumped from his GINN towards the enemy.

OOC: I'm leaving a bit of room for Sven to post his actions.  No offense but your posts have been short, so don't kill this enemy GINN right away.

"Hey kid, just stay outta the way. I'll finish this punk nice and quick like. And aim your shots, don't just spray and pray. That's how you die in a war." Karl was shocked. This kid must have been taught this. "Kid, this pilot is way outta your league, so listen up if you want to win." Karl took a brief moment to study his opponent, dodge several incoming rounds and reposition himself. This guy is fast, skilled but not very patient I'm sure. That is his flaw.

Karl paused again while James maneuvered wildly trying to avoid the rounds heading his way. "Alright kid listen. The easiest way to kick this guys ass is to ambush him. The are a lot of large meteors around here, and many of them have little hiding spots on em." Karl shot forward trying to dodge some paintballs coming at him. " You should find a good ambush spot, and when he flies by, unload on him. This shouldn't surprise him, but what comes next will. Oh ya, kid, don't make your dodges so predictable. Randomize them a little eh?"

As the engines revved on the GINN, James began to take in what Karl said.

Your words of wisdom are great, but the orders where for both of us to engage.

James yelled with an angered tone.  Looking for a large rock floating would be easy.  Full throttling it into the asteroid field James hid his GINN behind a rock.  Taking in some breathes, James felt the sweet running down his back.  It was a weird feeling, considering it has no way to escape out of his suit.

Looking on his HUD he tried to locate the enemy GINN.  Looking out his cockpit, he heard the engines of the red GINN as it approached.  This was his time he thought as he moved his GINN.  Jame's GINN came out from his hiding spot and fired off three rounds of paint only to vanish again.  The red GINN was quick, Karl was right it was out of his league.  The red GINN maneuvered around the first two, but the third hit his foot.  He wasn't fast enough, that was the praying that came in handy. 

Again around another rock, James did not think the same trick would work twice.  Hearing the engines of the red GINN coming closer, this time it was louder.  The anger went straight to the throttle, James thought to himself.  Pulling the throttle Jame's GINN flew out and began to unload on the enemy GINN... 

"Yes it is a partner exercise, but if you get taken out, then what's the point?" Karl was surprised at the remark James gave him. Karl was trying to follow the movements that the red GINN was making, studying them for an opening. This guy is pretty good at judging skill level. He when right after the other pilot, and is avoiding me. Karl gave a small chuckle as he moved towards James' position. When he got there, he could clearly tell that James was having some trouble. "You stupid idiot! I told you to ambush him!" He could tell by the actions that James' GINN was making that James was starting to panic a little.

Karl was try to come up with a way to "dispose" of the red GINN. His thoughs were interupted when James started unloading his weapon at the GINN. Several of the shots grazed Karl and one exploded one his head crest. Karl opened a channel with James. "Kid, it looks like your starting to panic, try to calm down a little eh. Heres what you can do to survive this. First option: stop shooting and try and make him draw his sword. If he does, wait until I say so, then shoot straight up, while unloading whatever ammo you have left on the area underneath you. Even if he dodges, I can still get him. Option two...hey watch what the hell your aiming at! Like I was saying, option 2 is for you to pin him down against and asteroid, then I can knock him out. Running won't work, because, like your starting to realize, this guy is way to good for you." 

But, Karl realized that James was in way to much trouble to do anything he had suggested. So, Karl drew his sword and headed strait for the red GINN. He was well aware that this would never work, but it would create a small opening that James would have to notice and exploit.

Edited by Guest

James had remained calm.  That was just about the only thing he could be a expert at.  But there was no time to fight about that, as James took in Karl words.

I'm fine don't worry.  Sounds like a great plan hope it works.

Shooting out of the asteroid James gave himself some cover fire in the direction of the enemy GINN.  Getting behind another rock the red GINN surprised him and let out paint, but James was quick and dodged them.  Moving to another rock, Jame tried to ambush the enemy, but that was not going to work again. Instead James kept hooping rock to rock and dodging paint. 

His ammo has to run out sooner or later.  James thought to himself.  This was his last shot to get close.  Letting out more paint James went full throttle in a different direction..straight for the enemy.

Come on!

James yelled as he charged the red GINN, but he was not afraid.  Instead he started to spray paint every where.  James made a quick maneuver up and began to let out his own rounds.  He was starting to think smart, he tried every maneuver he could think of.  He had to stay above the enemy he thought.  His last jerking move brought him above the enemy and some what behind.  Charging down James reached for his sword.  Yellow light burst out from behind of Jame's GINN.  The enemy took his challenge and stopped firing.  Instead he drew his sword and charged James.

The two clashed and their swords hit.  Sparks from their swords spit everywhere as the two drew near each other.  James could not hold him much longer, hopefully Karl would make his move.

"Damn it kid, I coulda told you that an ambush only works once!" Karl was getting worried now. He was fully aware that James wasn't going to last for to much longer. Karl lined the sword up with the red GINN's legs and accelerated to full throttle. As the two mobile suits locked swords, Karl was preparing for the end game. He was well aware that he might hit James as well, but it was a necessary evil. Karl new that the red pilot was completely focused on James, a fatal mistake. Just before the sword hit the red GINN, Karl contacted james and yelled "Get the hell outta the way kid!" With that the sword passed through the red GINN's legs, severing them. "James, he's all yours."

OOC: I just realized we destroyed ZAFT military property...Also endagered a life inside.  I think being in a team with you will not get me anywhere. lol

IC:  James let go a looking down his cockpit window he saw the slash made by Karl as he flew through the enemy GINN.  Backing up more, James saw the damaged GINN.

Great, I think this might be bad, James said to himself as he saw the red GINN being destroyed.