Re: Initial reporting for duty ==> first mission

HHLkill3r

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lara nodded at Houston. "The commander wishes to see you immediately. Please proceed into his office immediately."

With a flick of the controls on her desk, she opened the doors to admit the trio. As they stepped into the room, Dimitri spoke, "I accepted a mission?"

The commander appeared to be trying hard to restrain his anger when Dimitri said that. Xavi waited while the soldier looked through his laptop for the information. He allowed the man to explain himself. For such a serious error due to technical insecurities troubled him. He made a mental note to rectify the problem in the system.

Dealing with such a problem was more important that fixing a compromised system. The operation was something big. Of course, the client would be paying a huge sum of money, considering the Soldier's reputation and expertise in this field.

Xavi noticed three soldiers entering the room as Dimitri continued speaking. He motioned for them to join in and listen to the details. When Dimitri was done, the commander gave him a good stare that shouted "what a mess you've gotten us into."

The trio were also fresh recruits. They appeared eager to contribute to the organisation. Xavi hoped that they were half as good as their resume boasted. "So, do any of you have any opnion on this matter? Do you agree with Dimitri's plan or do you have a better idea?"

[OOC: welcome back boss and yay back on the road!!]

"The commander wishes to see you immediately. Please proceed into his office immediately." Lara nodded as she spoke. He gave her a small smile and nodded in return before proceeding into the commander's office.

Upon entering the room, his eyes darted around the room which resembled vastness and the luxury of the Oval in the white house with security cameras in also every corner of the room as well as enough well hidden spots to snipe anything that is in the room before settling the gaze back to the man sitting behind the large oak desk with the computer to his right and various pens, paper files cluttered in the in and out boxes on the center and left hand side of the desk. He briefly heard the last of Dimitri's sentence "...accepted a mission" before looking across to the left to see Dimitri typing rapidly on the keyboard in deep frustration and annoyance.

Once he stopped, he started to explain himself about the mission which his laptop "accidentally" filled whilst he was browsing through missions. When he finished he gave Dimitri another good long stare before looking up and addressing the late comers.  "So, do any of you have any opinion on this matter? Do you agree with Dimitri's plan or do you have a better idea?"

Houston gave a short salute and took a step forward before starting to answer "Sir. the best way for this would be to continue along following Dimitri's suggestions. Whats done is done, there is no turning back to it now that the mission is accepted, accidentally or not." He paused a moment to look at Dimitri and give him an encouraging nod. He took a long breath to choose his words wisely before continuing, "my suggestion to it would be to go ahead with the mission with Dimitri to lead this mission... so that he could make up for the mistake that he has done and so that he could be rewarded for leading it well when it is finally completed since it was he who accepted it even though it was an accident. This mission does seem to have its benefits especially with the amount of reward and first hand experience that is waiting at the end... and in my opinion if I may sir it might lead to a more satisfied customer so then he might even get us to do even more missions since he would be able to trust us to complete the task."

He saluted again and step back to stand next to the others waiting intently for their own opinions and options ahead.

To him, the world of a sniper seemed vast enough, and yet able to be summarized in one sentence... 'Don't mess up...' He, however, thought that he need not know much about the trifles that occurred outside his own world. Therefore, he merely followed directions, and acted of his own accord only when he thought it was most beneficial to do so. Therefore, as Houston saluted and stepped back into place, he stepped up, saluted with reverence, and voiced his opinions. "Sir, I agree that it would be most wise to accept the mission, for, if we were to turn it down, we would surely lose face. Also, Houston is correct in saying that we would gain much and lose little." He didn't feel the need to say much else, so he stepped back into line with a hardy salute.

At the mention of Meddiggo, Julia stiffened. Until Dimitri had informed them of who the client was, she'd been all for it. Exasperated, she kept her mouth shut. Her previous experiences didn't matter - at least, they shouldn't. Her own personal opinion certainly had no place here, or when she considered the mission.

Professionally, the mission, and Dimitri's plan were acceptable. Personally... Julia had something of a history with the mercenary group Alliso. She didn't like them, and they didn't like her. A few years ago, Julia had accepted a task from them on behalf of the small group she'd been working with.

It had called for an intel gatherer, and there had been a statement of confidentiality. Her group had kept their side of the agreement - Meddiggo hadn't. In retaliation, and acting idependantly from her group, she'd started hunting the leader of Alliso. Along the way, she'd managed to encounter a few members of the mercenary group, and had left them with a message - Dreamer was displeased, and Meddiggo was going to feel it.

She'd yet to fully act upon that message, but she had a little list. Most names on that list had been crossed off, including the topmost name. Meddiggo was still on that list, but Julia looked forward to the day she could put a little red line through it.

Personal hatred for Meddigo aside, the mission seemed alright, and she stepped forward, to offer her opinion. She snapped off a sloppy salute, one that proved that she had little experience in showing respect for rank. A tiny frown formed at her own inability to perform correctly - she'd really have to work on that.

"Sir, though I regret that this mission was accepted before anyone had a chance to discuss it, I believe Houston and Allan are right - We'll gain much and lose little." With nothing else to say, and her own indecision and annoyance already slipping through her professional mask, she stepped back with another salute.

The Soldiers of Fire would lose little, but her pride would take a rather large blow. 'I should have expected this,' she thought bitterly, 'I knew there had to be disadvantages to being part of such a large organization... And I can't afford to turn down the first mission I receive just because I have personal issues with the client... Still, should I inform the commander that I have personal reservations about this? I know it's not something my resume states, and it could effect my performance on the field.'

It wouldn't wait. It had to be said. She refused to endanger anyone else because of her own personal issues. If it meant that she was looked down upon because she could not seperate this part of her personal and professional lives, and was deemed unable to participate, so be it.

Stepping forward and saluting again, she took a moment to recollect herself. "Sir, I have had previous experiences with this client that have not gone well. I fear it may effect my abilities during the mission."

((If anyone has issues with Julia's previous encounter with Meddiggo and Allios - namely Dimitri and Valiant - let me know, disregard this post, and I'll re-write Julia's reaction to the mission details. Thanks))

Blake waited nervously as he sat on one the chairs available for visitors in the reception area. The woman behind the desk had asked him to wait while she shown Houston, Alan and Julia into the commanders' office. Before the door fully shut, he thought he heard a voice, saying,"...accepted a mission?" but no further as the closed door blocked any coherent sound coming out of the office.

"Wonder if that's the mission Alan spoke of earlier?", he thought to himself as he sat on the chair. As a way to relieve his nerves while waiting, he dug out the package he received earlier out of his duffel. He briefly inspected the package for a return address, but there was none. He opened the package, and out slid a data disk the size of his palm and a note. The note reads,"Dear Blake. Heard about the mess you managed to get yourself into. Thought this might cheer you up. Took quite a while to find these. A tad outdated, but you'll definately love them." There was no signature, no clue to who or where the disk came from.

Edited by Guest

Xavi sighed. It was unclear if it was a sign of exasperation or resignation. Either way, it did not bode well for those present in the room. He glanced at the team gathered before him, allowing his gaze to fall upon and take in every detail of each Soldier before moving on to the next.

"You are fresh - too fresh to be assigned onto this job." He paused to let his words sink in. "However, this matter is of utmost importance and we are to complete it 'asap' and get our hands cleaned of this dirty job."

The commander's face was unreadable, as were his eyes. It was the typical sign that he was thinking hard, turning his conscience inwards to find an answer to his problems. Then, his eyes seemed to focus on Dimitri. He looked at the Soldiers again.

"Prepare your equipment. We're heading out. Dimitri, continue to extract whatever information you can about the assignment and brief us on the details on our journey there."

Xavi raised an eyebrow. "Any questions?"

There was no response.

"Alright, dismissed!" He commanded. Seating himself in the chair once more, he proceeded to brief Lara with regards to the management of public relations in his absence as well as the rescheduling of his appointments.

"Alright, dismissed!" He heard the commander say before giving the salute and walking out with the other 3. Nodding to Blake and Lara as he passed them. He passed through the door and stretching again retrieving the explosive back to his hand. He turned around and asked the others.

"You think we'll have enough time to tour this place.... it seems that the boss wants us to get ready and leave pretty quick" he asked whilst turning his head to look at each one of them in turn.

Blake sighed to himself as he stowed away the datadisk."No use thinking about this now. Maybe later, when I can find a spare computer...", he thought to himself as he waited in the reception area.

He was nodding off when the commanders' office door opened and Houston, Alan, Julia and a fourth person he haven't seen before walked out. He nodded back to Houston as he passed him, then turned his attention to the fourth person. The guy seemed to have a rather lanky build, and with his black thin framed glasses and pale skin, he gives an impression of being a 'geek' to Blake.

He turned his attention to the door, waiting for the commander to give him his assignment, only partially listening to the conversation from the rest.

Xavi noticed a person standing at the doorway, seemingly waiting for him. He scowled. He did not have time for this. "You there, what's your business here?"

The commander threw an accusing look at Lara, who shrugged helplessly. Then, he realise that the boy was another new recruit.

"I remember you now. Blake. Follow after them. They'll tell you what you need to do," Xavi gestured at the retreating backs of the four Soldiers. With that, he turned his back attention to Lara.

He saluted almost instantly after Houston saluted and turned about, setting a pace that resembled defiance but also reverence. To whom? He didn't know, but, to him, it was like a "Good Luck" ritual. Before even exiting into the corridor Houston turned to him and Julia, and said "You think we'll have enough time to tour this place... It seems that our boss wants us to get ready and leave pretty quick." Allan agreed. "I think that it would be best to get a move on to prepare for the mission. Plus, I have some unfinished business I have to attend to before starting this mission, and I don't want to mess it up..." He said with a sigh. He didn't really feel like replying to the letter, but he had no choice. If he did not he would certainly be butchered if he didn't reply, and if he died during his mission, his corpse would be butchered by that person... It was a demeaning sight to him. Therefore, he nodded to Houston and Julia and started off to the door, the fear of the future widening his strides with every step.

Edited by Guest

A part of Blake fliched slightly as the commander scowled at him and demanded to know why he's there. But as he stood at attention and opened his mouth to say something, the commander suddenly said "I remember you now. Blake. Follow after them. They'll tell you what you need to do". Blinking in surprise, he then promptly saluted, then turned around and went to catch up with the rest before they got to far.

(OOC EDIT: *winces* Ouch. Sorry about that.)

Blake caught up to Houston, Allan, Julia and Dimitri just when Houston said,"... to get ready and leave pretty quick". He raised an eyebrow at Allans' statement and briefly wondered about what kind of 'unfinished business' Allan had that made him look so burdened. But he pushed that out of his mind for a more pressing matter. "Hey guys (and girl). What happened in there? What mission the commander gave us?", he asked.

Edited by Guest

"Damnit..." Dimitri cursed under his breath as they were dismissed. An oversight had caused him this much pain already within the organization. If this mission failed, it was his head. And now a team of newbies was introduced into the mix as well. The back-up would be a great help, but this was his mistake that he needed to fix. Now he had more objectives than he cared for. Primary mission was to secure the requested goods. Second was to obtain even more technology. But if a single teammate died, or if it was discovered that the Soldiers were the ones responsible, it'd be a failure in his mind. Dimitri needed to save face with this situation so he could more easily obtain redemption. Even if the mission went perfectly, he'd still have debts to pay to the organization.

Life sucked.

"Get ready immediately." He growled at Houston's suggestion of taking a tour. There was no way that Dimitri was going to be in a good mood during this. As soon as he was out the door, he went off towards his quarters, knowing he'd need his own equipment. Something more powerful than his laptop.

------X------X------X------

Dimitri ran his hand over a two foot long box, straight up black and icy cold to the touch. Taking a deep breath, he flipped the lid off and picked up what looked like a short keyboard. The underside had a loop on the left side, and a gauntlet on the right. Slipping the thing over his left hand, he flexed his fingers, getting a feel for the thing again. It was called a "deck", a computer contained in a keyboard, strapped to the arm for easy transport. No monitor. Instead, a wire ran from one side to a visor, projecting the images on the HUD. Dimitri already had the visor on, a gray band running over his eyes. And as soon as it was plugged into the deck, the HUD that was projected over the image of the world around him lit up with simple-looking text rather than a processor-slaying graphical interface.

RAM: Green

Interfacing: Green

Programs: Barrier, Green. Cloak, Green. Torch, Green. Jackhammer, Green. Seeker, Green. Smoke, Green. Decoy, Green.

Absolution, Green.

|-|4(|< 7|-|3 |>|_4|\|37

------X------X------X------

Dimitri made his way towards the hanger with his digital battle gear. This was already looking bleak. Seeker was already at work, several copies of the program running about to collect all his data. Six windows obscured his vision, presenting him with coding and text regarding the mission. Hell, he could probably access Alliso's bank accounts by now. The mission area was harder to deal with. Security on the digital scale was insane. It'd be easier to bypass security once he got to the mission area and didn't have to deal with the outside access filters. He immediately made his way towards the hangar, his face a perfect expression of stoicism, despite his frustration and fear.

For the good of The Family...

HH nodded as Allan left after he finished speaking. He then heard the growl of Dimitri  saying that the team should get ready immediately as he too walked away to get his own gear ready.

"Must have gotten yelled at before we arrived." he muttered himself as Blake  questioned.

He relaxed himself and turned to face him before answering "instructions were pretty simple... go into a lab, steal some MS and tech, get out of there alive and wipe that lab flat. The hard part will prob be that we're out numbered by alot."

He looked over to Julia and said with a minor sad tone "guess we'll have to postpone that tour around this place till after the mission completes." He nods to both of them before taking his leave, turning left where a sign points to the explosive equipment's room.

He got lost twice before asking for directions from a fellow member to find the room that he was after. He opened the door and was greeted by a small blond girl sitting behind a counter with what looked like bullet-proof windows. He showed her his ID before going through the gate to the explosive storage room. He walked around the room once memorizing the names of each type of explosive there and the radius of explosion. Then he walked over to a small box with the label SC-1610, he opened the box to get a glimpse at the contents. Blood red in color explosion range of 10 km with the usage of each 3cm by 3cm cube. He took out 4 cubes gentily before moving across to pick up the 12 batches of normal hand, flash and smoke grenades. Moving still around the room he stopped briefly to collect a box of 16 cubes of C-16 the recently developed and improved version of the C-12. Finally walking back to the start of the room he picked up 20 detonators, signed the form, packed it all into the carry case and put it and the grenades into his hidden jacket pocket.

He waked out of the explosive storage room then walked over to the ammunitions room to pick up several sets of bullets for his hand guns as well as a metal briefcase containing semi-automatic rifle with scope before heading back to his room to pick up his hand guns, which he left in his luggage at his arrival. He then proceeded to reload them with the bullets acquired. He took off his jacket for and spread it wide on the bed. flicking two sets of cords as he rushed his finger down the center of the jacket activating the bullet and weapon protection mode. He put the jacket back on and zipped it up to the top once again. Opening another small box on the bottom of his luggage he took out his special contacts, which gave a distance analyzer and radar function,  he stopped for a moment before putting them on and then closed the door behind him and headed back towards the hanger holding the briefcase with the right hand and the tail of the jacket billowing as he walked.

Let the fun begin the thought floated randomly through his mind as he walked towards the hanger.

Edited by Guest

Julia saluted as they were dismissed, following after the others as they left the commander's office. To say she was pre-occupied would have been an understatement. Half-listening to the opinions of her current 'team', she had to agree - there was no time for exploring the base. At Dimitri's growled reply, she had to resist the urge to roll her eyes. She could understand his frustration, and to an extent, shared it. That didn't mean she had to appreciate his manners.

"Guess we'll have to postpone that tour around this place till after the mission completes." She gave Houston a quick nod, and bowed her head in acknowledgment as he left. She sighed, and tried to give Blake a re-assuring smile. "Houston's got a point - We'll probably be pretty outnumbered, but I'm sure we can handle it."

She raised a hand in farewell as she headed off to gather her own equipment. "Catch you later Blake. Try not to be late." She liked the technician, even though he hadn't said much since they'd met earlier. Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, she re-traced the route that had gotten them to the commander's office, and made it back to her quarters without any trouble.

Over the eight years she'd been in this line of work, she'd built up a collection of useful items - now she just had to decide what would be best for this mission. It didn't take long to make her choices; Other then her ever present combat knife and a plain handgun, she had chosen to grab a couple of gifts from Jake. One item was a communications head-set that she had no understanding of, other then how to get it working. Supposedly it was protected against most forms of communications jamming. Given that they'd never had issues with communications after Jake had given it to her, she was inclined to believe it worked. If it did, maybe the others would agree that a secure line of communication was a good idea.

'I'll see if I can get this Dimitri guy to look it over. Even he had to admit that it's useful.' She wasn't sure that he accepted her, but that was fine, as she didn't know if she accepted him either. Certain that she had everything she needed, Julia left her room behind, the only sign of her nervousness being the way she fiddled with her necklace as she headed towards the hangar.

He heard Blake say something, but it was muddled with the nervousness ensuing. The images of himself, butchered, and chopped up were still burnt in to his cornia. He felt inclined to break into a jog mere seconds after he exited the room, which escalated to a full out run as he speeded past other bystanders and skidded to a halt as he approached his room. The door opened to him after a quick scan, and he approached the nice table  opposite his bed which had a few pieces of paper and a pen lying in wait for him. He sat down, took a deep breath, and began to write a letter which explained his situation. First, how the new base was. Second, the progress he was making on his research. Third, although he did not tell her anything about the mission, he told her he was going ON a mission and that he wouldn't be able to reply for a while. After he finished the letter he scanned it, as was the "custom," and sent it down to the digital "Post Office" where it would go through many filters, forwarding's, and encoded into spam, then decoded and finally reach her computer. Why did he scan it rather than just type it? Security... He had the most unruly handwriting that could only be read by someone who knows what the letters look like... Anyway after 5 minutes of these shenanigans, he was finally ready to start packing...

He reached into his secure closet, pulled out a trunk, opened the trunk, and pulled out a brown land lawyer II suit. Kind of like an military suit, long sleeves, turtle neck, loose belt, baggy pants... It changed its outward appearance at his will, had advanced radar detection , communication reception, and, among other things, it helped him concentrate when he was sniping. As the system booted up, the visor disappeared in his eyes and he felt like he could see 10x as good as without them. However, rather than rambling on about the marvels of his suit, he quickly continued upon his business by reaching, once more, into the trunk and pulling out a long case. He pressed two nearly invisible buttons on the side and the case opened, the case assembled the rifle before presenting it to him, already loaded with 6 rounds. He reached into a side pocket pulled out 3 tubes that looked like coin dispensers, except rectangular, and attached them to his belt. Each one contained 10 bullets, each a different kind, but rather than explaining his custom bullet designs, he took out, also from the same side pocket, leather gloves... Or so they seemed. He put them on and his hands immediately stopped shaking. His hands were relaxed by nerve stimulating pulses sent from the base of his gloves to the rest of his hands. After this he pulled out a handgun and knife from the seemingly endless trunk and attached them to his belt before finally closing his trunk and pushing it back into his closet. The nervousness he had felt before writing the letter had been replaced with anxiety...

He went to his bed side cabinet, pulled out the bottom most drawer to reveal a large pack of, what seemed to be, just gum. But, he took 3, different colored, pieces and began to chew one, storing the other 2 in his pocket. He returned his rifle to the case and lifted it in one hand, then, finally, exited his room. Now he felt ready, but he had one more stop to make. He pulled a piece of paper from his pocket, and, on it, were a bunch of scribbles but amazing diagrams. He stopped at the lab entrance before entering because he was confronted with a devious blond who seemed intent on making his life miserable, just for wearing those kind of clothes... After his confrontation he simply walked in, placed the piece of paper on the desk of a friend of his before, finally, exiting the lab and headed to the hanger, a slight numb sensation taking over his jaw as he continued to chew the gum.

"...pretty simple... go into a lab, steal some MS and tech, get out of there alive and wipe that lab flat. The hard part will prob be that we're out numbered by alot." was Houstons' answer to Blakes' question. He mulled over this, a part of him became slightly giddy over the possibility of getting his hands on some new, unknown MS and technologies. Another part of him worries over the fact they may be outnumbered by the whatever's guarding said MS and technologies. His worry must have showed itself plainly on his face, as Julia gave him a smile and said "Houston's got a point - We'll probably be pretty outnumbered, but I'm sure we can handle it."

As the rest parted in different direction to prepare, Julia waved to him and bid him goodbye. He waved back, saying, "I won't." He turned his head towards his duffel, still slung over his shoulder, muttering to himself, "At least I don't have to pack again. Now to get to the hanger..." He thought of simply backtracking, but he remembered the twist and turns they have taken to get here, and he changed his mind. "Maybe I'll just ask for directions this time...", he muttered as he turns around to ask Lara how to get to the hanger.