Re: Initial reporting for duty ==> first mission

HHLkill3r

Six chimes came out to greet Dimitri's ears, along with a light blue message that read "You have 1 new mail." Frantically, he minimized his windows, revealing a desktop for the ALTIMIT OS that he ran on the machine. It wasn't a very popular OS because of it's out-dated state, but that meant viruses had a lot of problems dealing with the system itself, so even if he caught one, it'd likely do nothing. Add in a little self-updating, and it was as smooth as the popular systems. Operating system pride aside, he opened up the mail window and got a very simple message. He had to get his scrawny ass over to the commanders office within 5 seconds, or die.

Dimitri quite liked the idea of living. He'd try the "see the commander" route first. If that didn't work out, well, game over.

The laptop closed up immediately, and he carried it close to his body with both hands as he broke into a run out of the room and towards the commander's office. Sure, he was in a rush, but there was no way he was dropping his dear equipment. He loved it more than anybody else around Celostratus. Except, maybe, for that Dance Dance Revolution machine in the rec room. But Dimitri's mind was absolutely on what the commander had in store for him. And it was only then that he realized his mobile phone was still on his bed, probably with 60 messages from the commander's office.

As soon as possible, Dimitri burst through the door into the commander's office, panting for breath and giving a rigid, serious salute, just like he had been taught the first day. "Dimitri Shirokov reporting, SIR!"

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HH opened his eyes a crack to watched the new comer with little interest as he quickly closed up his laptop and ran off out of the room as quickly as he came in. must have been the message he thought to himself. He turned his head to see that Julia had also pulled up a chair next to him and also was studing the new comer until he ran out of the room.

"So how was that little session?" he asked her "and how was that new comer?" he added with a little curiosity.

'Somebody's in a rush,' Julia thought with mild amusement. That, along with the other differences she'd already found in the guy's appearance, was enough to get her to stop thinking about Jake. She turned her attention to Houston as he spoke, taking a sip of water before she replied. "That session was good." She smiled, "I feel a lot less nervous, and more awake then I was earlier."

She glanced at the door and sighed. "I already dislike the guy in general. I don't often get along with computer experts very well, and they don't get along with me. Something about me having a lack of respect for technology or something." She chuckled. "Still, I'm sure once I get to know him I'll at least be able to work with him."

She turned back to Houston. "What about you? Do you think meditation will be helpful to continue, and what do you think of the newcomer?"

"What about you? Do you think meditation will be helpful to continue, and what do you think of the newcomer?" Julia asked.

HH hesitated before answering slowly choosing his word carefully to describe his new comrade.

"He seems alright... sort of... i guess... however it seems that he's more obsessed with his laptop than all of his other comrades. I guess we'll all get along once we know each other well enough i guess, just a matter of time i guess. I'm sure he'll be able to show us his worth in real missions soon enough." He took a sip of water  from his bottle before continuing. As for the session I think I'll be able to use it from now on to calm down before sleep and missions. thanks a lot

He stretched in his chair before asking " hmm... where is everyone else... seems like all that is suppose to be here for this mission is missing.." he looks down at his watch "another 25 minutes... guess they should be appearing any time soon"

Newly recruited Allan Frost waltzed through the hallways of Cleostratus, as he had grown fond of them over the couple of weeks he resided here... The forboding sense of the future mission was merely inches away from controlling his head and forcing him to panic, but, rather than think about the mission he thought it best to find the Briefing room first... He passed a couple of mercenaries that were indulged in their own personal affairs and found it fitting not to ask them for directions... After all, he knew he had passed the Briefing room many times when he wandered around the base, yet the exact location of the briefing room had, so far, eluded him. After searching to no-avail, he decided he would just wander about until he found it... After all, he still had enough time to make the briefing... A sufficiently experienced mercenary had told him that the commander was requesting some men for a mission he needed done. Of course, the mercenary told him it was optional whether or not he accepted it. He decided that he would need experience as a mercenary, if he wanted to make some money... As he ventured down, yet another, hallway he noticed a familiar face dashing down the hallway like his life depended on it.

Hmm... I think his name was Dimitri... If I recall correctly... thought Allan. He looked from where Dimitri had dashed from and found a door which had the words "Briefing room" engraved on the pneumatic powered gateway. He smiled and approached the door as it automatically slid open for him. The briefing room was not the busy and active room he had thought it to be... In fact, their were only two people sitting at a table chatting over who knows what... He didn't want to eavesdrop nor want to be thought of as eaves dropping, so he took a chair at the far end of the table and did not stare either of them directly in the eyes as he passed them. He sat down silently and took out a letter he had received from Orb, however could not figure out who had sent it. He furrowed his eyebrows, deep in thought, and racking his brains of people who could have sent it...

HH looks up and when the new comer enters the room. He studied him a little when he passed by. When he sat down and took out a piece of paper that looked like a letter and seeing his eyebrows clench together in deep thought and a little agitation, he thought silently to himself, hes a quiet one... a very very troubled quiet one.

He closed his eyes once again and leans back on his chair with his tip of his shoe just hooking onto the underside of a table and then relaxes his body muscles to takes a little nap quietly hoping to himself that all the other members would arrive soon so that he would be able to know the mission that is still in a secret file somewhere locked up.

"...however it seems that he's more obsessed with his laptop than all of his other comrades." Julia resisted the urge to snort at that comment. 'Talk about understating the matter.' She nodded as he finished his evaluation. A spark of happiness danced in the corner of her eyes as Houston thanked her for the meditation lesson.

It wasn't often she helped anyone unless it was for money, and she usually never got thanked for it. "It's no big deal... I'm just glad it'll help." She leant back on her chair, and watched the newcomer enter as she finished her bottle of water. She frowned at the empty bottle thoughtfully. 'To get another bottle, or not to get another bottle. Such a dilemma.' Getting another bottle would take her past the room's third occupant, and give her a chance to evaluate him a little better.

Thirst and curiousity won out in the end. Grabbing two bottles - one for herself and the other a peace offering - she placed one beside the newcomer, determinedly not looking at the letter. She respected the guy's privacy after all.

Returning to her seat, she spun it around so that the back faced the table. Leaning her arms on the back, and her head on her arms, she studied the two males in the room from beneath her eyelashes. She'd already studied Houston, but she now took the time to memorize the little things - Too often she'd ended up in bad situations because she didn't know the people she worked with as well as she could. Julia didn't like having herself stabbed in the back by those she worked with, and even the smallest of things could tell you a lot about a person.

Deciding that her initial assessment had been correct - Houston was a trustworthy - she turned her attention to the younger male. Other then deciding he was extremely quiet, she couldn't really make any further evaluation. She was starting to suspect that she was the only female, and perhaps the only natural who was taking part in this mission.

"Houston, how much longer before anyone who turns up can be deemed late?"

((Before anyone points it out, I know Dimitri is a natural - Julia doesn't. She's assuming, based on her previous experience with people who type as fast as Dimitri, that he is a coordinator.))

Edited by Guest

Hearing Julia get out of her chair with his eyes closed he paid more attention to what was happening. Hearing the cooler door open, he realised that she was out of water he reached down and grabbed his own bottle of water and opened it and took a sip cooling his tongue and throat. Hearing her sit back down again he relaxed attention once again. Hearing that Julia was about to speak again he opened his eyes and faced her whilst still leaning on the chair

"Houston, how much longer before anyone who turns up can be deemed late?"

he heard her ask

"well... "he started to answer whilst looking down on his watch "a little over 20 minutes for commanders well 15 since they're suppose to be here earlier than the rest of us"

Edited by Guest

"Argh!" Julia growled out, lifting her head. "I have plenty of patience, but we've been here for over an hour!" Her voice had taken in a whining tone - purely accidental of course. "Why didn't I explore the base a little more before I came here?"

She sighed, dropping her head back on to her arms.

((Sorry about the absence... It was a little short on notice that my brother asked me to help him move ))

Allan had finished rereading the letters so many times, that, by coincidence, his mind had drifted to the nostalgic memories of ORB which had nothing to do with the letter. As he whisked away in his own collection of happy memories he was once again reminded of his, may-as-well-be Father, Lucid. He felt a stabbing pain in his chest which forced him to concern himself with the present. As he noticed a glistening bottle of water laying right in front of him he felt embarrassed that he had not gotten a chance to at least thank whoever had gotten him the bottle. He glanced over at the other two and evaluated the one who was sitting in a complex way where he chair was closer to falling down then settling back into an upright position. He judged the other one, who's bottle had just been opened and the condensed fog which had laid it laid on the bottle was only disturbed by the drops forming on the outside of the bottle and where her hand had held the bottle. It seemed that she had gotten him the bottle of water. He noted that it was  impossible to catch her eye and he sighed  and hesitantly got up, walked over and tapped her slightly on the shoulder.

Before even looking to see if she turned around, he bowed slightly and said, "Thank you." But even the 'thank you' was extremely polite and seemed as though he was thanking a ranking officer from sparing him from going into a battlefield where he was assured death. He glanced up to see if he had even been noticed...

((What absence? You weren't gone long enough for us to even really notice, Infinite.))

Julia blinked when she felt someone tap her her shoulder, turning in time to see the newcomer bow and thank her. "Geez, you're a polite one, aren't you?" She was grinning as she spoke, evidently amused. Was everyone she met here going to make her rethink her opnion of her fellow mercenaries?

"I'm Julia Farold, and you would be?" She reached back for her bottle as she spoke, fingers searching for the container whilst she kept her attention on the kid in front of her. She was fairly good at guessing ages, and she figured this guy wasn't much older then 18, tops. That he was so polite... Well, it wasn't what she was use to in teenagers.

He suddenly had the strong urge to withdraw from the conversation, but to be rude was almost unthinkable. In his mind, anyone who's rank he didn't know, he couldn't afford to offend. He raised his head, and said, " I wouldn't say that I'm polite," he smiled a fake smile, that, no one he knew, had even been remotely suspicious of. He stopped grinning and held out his hand for a formal handshake and said, " My name is Allan Frost... Nice to meet you."

Seeing the newcomer walking forwards from his seat to tap Julia on the shoulder HH spent some time observing his new comrade whilst paying little attention to the conversation between Julia and the new comer. Deciding that he was just extremely polite after he held his hand out and told them that his name was Allan, he swung the chair back down to the floor to greet the newcomer.

Standing up and taking his hand he gives a quick handshake before sitting back down again "names Houston " he hesitated as some random thought about doctors popped into his head before continuing "nice to meet you too"

Julia stopped probing for her bottle as Houston introduced himself. It was only after Houston sat back down that she extended her own hand, gripping Allan's briefly in her own veriation of a handshake. She didn't enjoy formalities, if only because hand-shaking was designed distinctly for right-handed people. Being a left-hander, Julia could never express the true extent of her inner strength. Sometimes that was a good thing, but more often then not... Well, she didn't like being under-estimated.

"It's a pleasure, Allan." She paused, frowning slightly, "Or do you prefer if people address you using your last name?" It wouldn't surprise her if he did. She'd met plenty of people who didn't appreciate her presumptuous nature - They'd taken offense at her usage of their first name, even though they'd been the ones to offer that little bit of knowledge to her. She was just trying to avoid an arguement by checking that she could call him Allan.

As Houston let go of his hand and Julia shook his hand he got the feeling that Julia's handshake was either just another personal effect or that she was left handed. Although he could tell which was more likely as she said, "It's a pleasure, Allan. Or do you prefer if people address you using your last name?"

He smiled and pondered for less than a second about whether or not he should be referred to as Allan or Mr.Frost, and decided against the last name... It was the kind of name you'd give a snowman... Not a mercenary... He replied, with the same polite tone, "Allan is fine, Ms.Farold, and Mr...- Houston.."

He disliked the whole, conversation thing unless it was with friends, or unless he was forced too. But this time he decided it would be better to stick it out and gain some information. He barely muttered, "Just a second," before turning about face, collecting his letter and bottle and sat a seat away from Houston, before tucking away his letter in his pocket and taking a sip of nice, cool, refreshing water. He thought, 'May as well start...'

Once again he donned a grin and asked, this time in a more loose manner, even if pretend, "So, any one got any idea of what were dealing with here or is everyone out in the dark?"

Julia returned the grin, even though she got the feeling that Allan didn't like the idea of taking part in the conversation. It was slightly off putting, but she appreciated the effort the teen was going to, and decided to make this as painless as possible by answering his question.

"I'm pretty much in the dark, seeing as I only arrived on base about two hours ago." She pretended to sigh. "Nobody ever tells the intelligence gather just what information she's meant to be gathering, only that she has to gather it." She grinned, drapping her arms over her chair's back rest. "I'm sure well be informed soon enough." She turned slightly to gaze at Houston. "You know anything about the reason for this little get-together Houston?"

He chuckled a little at being called "Mr Houston" As he watched him sit down and continuing with a little hesitation to ask whether we had any ideas about what was about to happen. Hearing Julia's answer and then questions HH by "You know anything about the reason for this little get-together Houston?"

He looks at Allan first "for me just Houston is fine too formal... is err... too much for me" he reached out for his bottle and opens it and takes a sip before continuing "as for the info about this get together... I have no idea either i guess all we need to do is to wait and it will become clear to all of us in the end." He looks down at his watch before taking another sip of water. "However it might be a little while till they all show up... whats the bet that some one will be late" he asked his companions

He smiled slightly at the fact that an intel gatherer didn't know what was going on. It made him feel like he wasn't the only one clueless. 'So, Julia was an intel gatherer... Now what does that make Houston...' He pondered, only slightly startled by Houston talking, though he didn't show any signs of being surprised, he did not like to be surprised if he wasn't in any danger... It made him feel like he was surprised for nothing...

He ignored his last question, as he did not like the idea of betting, and that he did not like involving small talk in a serious conversation. Instead he said, "Houston it is...  They'll arrive eventually, so theres nothing to do but to wait..." He grinned at the thought of this. Him, being a marksmen, taught him that there is always a chance for a better shot, even if he was being ambushed by the targets allies, one should keep their cool, and never keep your eyes of the target, even if you have to eliminate the distraction without looking... "Of course, being a Sniper is a waiting game, so I wouldn't notice if an hour passed by like a second... So, whats your specialty Houston?"

Edited by Guest

Julia hid a smile as she listened to Allan. 'A sniper huh?' She didn't find it as surprising as she could have. Well, he was right about not noticing time passing slowly - Every sniper she'd ever encountered had more patience then a cat stalking its dinner. Wonderful when the sniper was on your side, but when they were trying to kill you... Well, Julia had a decent amount of respect for snipers, if only because she'd been on the wrong side of their rifle before.

It always made her wonder just how she'd managed to stay amongst the living.

Shaking her head at her thoughts, she returned her attention to the conversation. She rarely gambled, and she wasn't about to take a guess at the likelihood of late-comers. Personally she considered it a given fact - Of course there'd be at least one late arrival, but she wasn't about to say it, just in case she was wrong.

Of course, being a Sniper is a waiting game, so I wouldn't notice if an hour passed by like a second... So, whats your specialty Houston? he heard Allan ask.

He smiled inwardly to himself as he thought fellow sniper.... thats good hope my skills with the rifle hasn't changed much... He opened his bottle again to take another sip of water.

"My primary specialty...["/color] he replied to Allan's question after taking another sip of water "is demolitions, which makes life very interesting... and there was a computer guy too wasn't there Julia"

"My primary specialty... is demolitions, which makes life very interesting... and there was a computer guy too wasn't there Julia," Houston said. He smiled at the remark of life being interesting... 'If your life is interesting,' Allan thought, ' it's a tell-tale sign of a shorter life expectancy...' Of course he knew that being a sniper was riddled with problems and both jobs required stealth, accuracy, pin-point precision and timing, as well as a cool head. He had just gained more respect for Houston... He thought of the, so called, computer guy, and instantly the image of Dimitri fleeing from the Briefing room invaded his head.

He said stoically, as if merely suggesting and not stating, "It was Dimitri Shirokov... I think... He was on a mad-dash out of the hallway as if his life was on the line..." He had often wondered why the SoF mercenary group attracted the oddest yet best in their field, people to work, himself included. 'Me, the stoic Sniper, Houston, the crazy demolition expert, Julia, a whimsical intel gatherer, Dimitri, the natural but amazing computer expert, and Xavi... The commander who seemed to be harsh at first sight...' He thought, however, these were just people he had taken the time to get to know, and this was all he thought of them. 

OCC: , My bad... I got so used to just saying Valiant that I wrote Valiant than your character's name...

Edited by Guest

"...and there was a computer guy too wasn't there Julia," Julia nodded at Houston's comment. Julia smiled at Allan as he offered a name for the 'computer guy'.

"That sounds like him. Took off pretty quickly after he recieved an email. Didn't seem to notice the room was occupied either..." She mused, once leaning forward to grab her water bottle. It didn't slip past her attention that the broken chair had managed to go unnoticed. 'Or if Allan has seen it, he isn't interested enough to ask about it - I hope anyone else that arrives does the same.'

Julia sighed, squirming a little to get more comfortable. "The first thing I'm doing after we're dismissed is going to be something along the lines of getting more familiar with the base." She grumbled, "It will certainly beat waiting for over half an hour because I'm sure I won't be able to find my way around!"

"That sounds like him. Took off pretty quickly after he recieved an email. Didn't seem to notice the room was occupied either...The first thing I'm doing after we're dismissed is going to be something along the lines of getting more familiar with the base.... It will certainly beat waiting for over half an hour because I'm sure I won't be able to find my way around!" he heard Julia grumble as he stretches both of his arms, he then picks up his bottle again and finishes the rest of the water. Getting up out of his seat he walks over to the cooler and picks up another bottle before returning to his seat before speaking.

Well its cause we were here just a little too early...and I'd like to go touring the place as well so I'll go with you after we all get dismissed... It seems to be a pretty big place so if i tag along none or all of us will get lost. Want to come along as well Allan sounds fun to be doing some exploring? he replied as well as question.

"Well its cause we were here just a little too early...and I'd like to go touring the place as well so I'll go with you after we all get dismissed... It seems to be a pretty big place so if i tag along none or all of us will get lost. Want to come along as well Allan sounds fun to be doing some exploring?" said Houston... He looked surprised at the sudden offer but quickly decided on his answer as he didn't want to offend any one, or waste more time walking around the base... He felt like he knew his way around now.

He smiled and said," I usually take one thing at a time... So it doesn't distract me during a mission or when I'm doing something important... If we're all alive after the mission I'll think about it, but until then I'd like to concentrate on the objectives... Even if it is waiting." He sighs as he thought back on what he said. He thought it sounded like a 'no', then thought it sounded like a 'yes,' so he wasn't sure what they would think of it. Then again he was to anxious to care anyway, now the pressure of being on his first mission had fully taken over his head and caused him to lose his cool every once in awhile as he glanced over to the door, expecting enemy troops to bust in. Of course he would never admit to it if he survived the mission, he was nervous.

Julia listened to Allan's reply with faint amusement. 'Was that a yes oy a no?' She ended up deciding that it was a rather politely phrased no.

"Let's hope it's a matter of not getting lost." she grimaced at the idea of having to ask for directions if they did lose their way. "One of the good things about being an Intel gather I suppose," she said in reply to Allan's comment, "is that I know how to split my focus without lessening my effectiveness greatly." Finishing her second bottle of water, she sighed.

"Multi-tasking is a handy talent, but only if you can keep yourself from being blind-sided by the tasks at hand." It had been her Aunt, Alma Farold, who had taught her that. It had been a hard lesson to learn, but it had served her well.