Gundam Seed Vault feature: Mu La Flaga

Valiant

Mu La Flaga  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Mu La Flaga

• Thumbs up
    • Neutral
    • Thumbs down

For the very first partnership with the Gundam Seed Vault (GSV), we would be focussing on a character who has been talked about quite a bit in the past few days. Mu La Flaga. "The man who can make the impossible possible." He has endeared himself to fans of the series.

We want your opinions about him. What makes him so popular? Are you a fan? If yes, tell us what you like about him. If no, let us know the reasons.

Well, any man who can have nicknames like 'The Hawk of Endymion' or 'The man who can make the impossible, possible' gets a thumbs up in my book .  As well, let us not forget that he single handedly created the slang term 'Pulling a La Flaga' (could you count it as a verb?  ).  I think the Vault will need a definition of that, at the very least:

Pull a La Flaga: To cheat death when all logical thinking would denote a 0% chance of survival, and come out with the least amount of incapacitating or disfiguring injuries as possible.

Now as for the real reasons to like them (if the above just wasn't enough).  Mu La Flaga was introduced as one of the first veteran pilots in the series, and first gained the fans respect by showing off that he could go toe to toe with Coordinators and their superior mobile suits, even though he was a natural with an outdated mobile armor.  Of course, he was more than just a kick-butt pilot, he showed that while he didn't like to take things seriously, he knew when to get down to business, and wasn't afraid to get his hands a little dirty if it helped people out in the end, nor did he have any malcontent towards Coordinators as a whole.

As well, despite being overshadowed by Kira, Cagalli, Athrun, and Lacus story-wise, he already had a resounding amount of back story, and character development to boot.  He had a rival in Rau, a disciple of sorts in Kira, a growing love interest in Murrue, and a somewhat shadowed past about his father that he had to discover.  If they had wanted to, they could have focused the series on Mu; but then he wouldn't have been able to pilot Freedom or Justice, nor does he have as many angsty emo moments as Kira or Athrun (and it just wouldn't be the same if he didn't try and take on a Lohrengrin or Taunhauser shot at least once per series).

In the Mu vs Rau discussion, you can see my opinions on Neo and Mu, and that I count Neo as a separate person.  As such, I don't count much of SEED Destiny towards Mu's development at all (though I do give him thumbs up for piloting the Akatsuki  ).

If they had wanted to, they could have focused the series on Mu; but then he wouldn't have been able to pilot Freedom or Justice, nor does he have as many angsty emo moments as Kira or Athrun (and it just wouldn't be the same if he didn't try and take on a Lohrengrin or Taunhauser shot at least once per series).

Who needs the more powerful mobile suits when the good ol' Strike Gundam can do a lot more with proper skills from the pilot alone. Remember, he managed to use the Strike to a great effect during the later phase of SEED.

Of course, speaking of personality, that is what makes him awesome in his own way. Probably because of his age he doesn't display angst the younger members of the cast have, but because of that too he was seen as a mentor for Kira (and probably some of the others).

Piloting skills alone is already something a lot of fans admired in him (I remembered someone said that he alone was the reason a lot of people continued through SEED despite the problems with some of the characters), because as Kaizer have said, he managed to hold his own against more advanced mobile suits (be it in the Moebius Zero against ZAFT mobile suits, or the ones he faced in the Sky Grasper, and later the Strike Gundam).

• 2 weeks later...

Coming from a Mu fanboy like me, I'll probably be biased, but...

He was probably one of the few things you would count as both comic relief and at the same time, someone to count on. He was not just the gruff, experienced mentor, he was a friend to all. Someone to look up to and to emulate, knowing when to get serious and yet, when to wind down. His sense of justice goes wherever he goes, not blinded by orders and heck, is willing to break them if he feels the need to.

With that much of a past surrounding Mu, they should make an OVA featuring him, don't you think? And how he got his nickname.