Hitting, and scoring!

Asahi

I'm talking about MS hitting each other etc. ^^

Anyway, why I made this. For the year (yes, one year) that i've been with GSRPG and now AD, I've only RPed in *counts with fingers* THREE. THREE battles. One with NPC's (so it was just boring, unfair ownage :(), one in an MS simulator (I obviously lost. Gave up lol) and now, a Coliseum battle.

My question is (to the people who have actually RPed in a battle and won fairly) how do you write your combat RPs? What techniques? (or any?) Is there any strategy/Do you plan ahead? etc. lol

Please discuss ;)

Also, keep in mind, I'm asking you, so don't flame me and just say

Go read other people's combat posts, or read more books!
:'( I have to admit, I'm lazy at reading :-X and I also don't have time to read Coliseum posts, so my point is that i'm asking you, and yes, I know I should read more etc >_> Edited by Guest

Well, I've actually fought a couple of battles quite recently off-site. I lost one, and am still fighting the other, and in both cases I was/am severely out-teched. To describe my personal techniques, I'll largely be referencing the one that's still going on. For reference, my still-active battle is my ReGelg vs. his Blu Duel in Deep Space.

The most important things in my style of combat is to be flexible and watch the specific details carefully. Early in my present fight, one of his beam gun shots destroyed the right shoulder guard and the thruster suite therein. Since then, I've been using the unbalanced thruster output, as well as the changed center of mass, as key elements in my evasive maneuvers. Realistic physics, such as gravity and inertia, can often be used to help evade attacks in ways that an opponent not looking at those things, and even those who are, won't be able to anticipate.

Also, when possible, I try to set up future evasive maneuvers after my attacks in my latest post. By moving to withdraw after a melee attack on the Duel, I was able to largely escape the point-blank railgun attack that the Duel came back with.

Lastly, use any nearby terrain to your advantage. If you're outgunned, maybe you should switch to a more guerrilla-style combat, which is much more possible in forested or mountainous terrain than it is on an open plain. If an enemy fleet is nearby, it might worthwhile to go start flying around in the middle of it. You would force your opponent to watch his fire or risk hitting his own allies, while you can fire with impunity and even if you miss your target, you might put a few holes in nearby enemy ships and mobile suits. Rebounding off of ships and terrain is an effective way to try and evade enemy fire, as it changes your course very drastically and very quickly.

That's my view on MS combat on RP forums like these. Anyone else want to throw their two cents in? I admit, I'm also fairly curious as to how everyone approaches MS combat.

For me... You should know the limitations of the suit you are using. I know that I just started to battle but I have observed my teammates in team zoids on how they write. On my case I prefer to use a DOM in combat so that limits the types of maneuvers that I can acheive. The DOM's hover system gives it excellent maneuverability in land battles but it's bulky size makes it a handful to control in space( with inertia and that sort of thing.) I agree with Dragon Daimyo use physics on your side. If you're bigger and heavier than your enemy, you can dominate him in melee combat. If you're faster and lighter you can go for hit and run tactis. If you use heavy weaponry you should keep your distance and act like a mobile gun placement, always moving around out of harms way, finding the perfect spot to fire. Well that's my opinion...

All points duly noted thanks you two (yeah, where in the world is the rest of AD on this topic? )

Also, when possible, I try to set up future evasive maneuvers after my attacks in my latest post.

Good point But this would limit you to moving, attacking and withdrawing every turn, no?

I'm also fairly curious as to how everyone approaches MS combat.

I go in gung-ho, and leave with my already deflated ego crushed to oblivion. If you know what I mean Ok, I'll answer seriously now

No, I do not have a method entering a battle (Big no no). I consider that a battle depends on 40% MS and 20% pilot, with the 40% left over acting as leeway to consider what MS, or if the pilot is blazingly good etc. I also think combat is extremely fast paced and can end with the drop of a pin (metaphorically) I understand you're not invulnerable, and you can't always maneuver like Kira (O_O) but I don't understand the finer points, the inbetweens of shooting and dodging, how one pilot can somehow get an advantage over the other (hence why I started this ) Thats all I can contribute for now

I prefer to use a DOM in combat so that limits the types of maneuvers that I can acheive

So effectively, you trade maneuverability, for easier control? Hmm...Interesting *strokes chin* I'd never think of that.

i'll try and answer this using my my past experience with role play battles which was a really really long time ago...

depending on your style you'd rush in and try and get the first attack in or you'd stay ranged and try and use the ranged attacks. it usually depends on the ms of the opponent as well as whatever weapons that he/she might have on the ms. it is usually... well for me it usually is... much easier if you let the opponent come to you whilst you set yourself up for a defensive/evasive manuever and at the same time being able to counter attack the opponent when hes close enough.

my advise is usually just make sure you plan ahead ... well at least 3 posts thereabouts... by simulating (in your head if necessary... i just use a scrap piece of paper) what would happen if the opponent did this or did that of course taking into account the MS you are piloting (ie: the power output=> relative speed... weapon status power etc...) as well as your opponents, the conditions (surroundings... wind... even the position of the sun)

as for the post itself make it as detailed as you possibily can so then the opponent and the ref can actually visually picture in their head just what exactly you are doing

eg: bad example: i fired my head vulcans at the enemy

better example [dont need to get into that detailed like below... but at least make sure that they can "see" what you are doing with that weapon of yours]:

i fired the head vulcans in a 150 degree spray centering at the opponent's ms

thats sorta all that i can think of right now from memory of when i was back in seed rpg... i can reply again once i start fighting again though...

Good point :) But this would limit you to moving, attacking and withdrawing every turn, no?

Quite true, hence my "when possible" qualification. It's far easier to do if you and your opponent are trying to snipe each other at range (especially with Minovsky particles around, if you do some UC roleplaying), but you can't do it as much if you want to bring things in close.

my advise is usually just make sure you plan ahead ... well at least 3 posts thereabouts... by simulating (in your head if necessary... i just use a scrap piece of paper) what would happen if the opponent did this or did that of course taking into account the MS you are piloting (ie: the power output=> relative speed... weapon status power etc...) as well as your opponents, the conditions (surroundings... wind... even the position of the sun)

This is good advice and forces you to think about your attacks in terms of how easily your enemy will be able to dodge it, rather than shooting for major damage attacks that are easily avoided by a wary pilot. The only thing I would caution is to always be flexible. You never know what your opponent is going to do for sure, as he may have seen something you didn't think of.

As DD mentioned, use the terrain to your advantage.  Even if it's an open area, you can manipulate your environment to gain the upper hand.  (e.g. digging or shooting holes or trenches etc.)

Also, use whatever's available on your own suit and be flexible.  In my first battle here, it eventually ended up as a 2 on 1 (and my defeat) but I used my Sword Calamity's Panzer Eizen anchors to move around a ruined cityscape to either evade or move quickly in on my opponents, both of whom had a significant flight and ranged advantage.  Don't be afraid to experiment with new/unpredictable techniques; just weigh the potential benefits versus the risks. 

much easier if you let the opponent come to you whilst you set yourself up for a defensive/evasive manuever and at the same time being able to counter attack the opponent when hes close enough.

:O I hate this kinda battle, especially when your enemy ALSO refuses to move. But yes, as you state, it varies on what type of RPer you are (personally, I like rushing, although I don't plan ^^)

make sure you plan ahead ... well at least 3 posts thereabouts... by simulating

HOLY CRAP! 3 posts ahead, thats some extensive planning (although I guess it comes second nature to a seasoned RPer >_>) Will do next time

I used my Sword Calamity's Panzer Eizen anchors to move around a ruined cityscape to either evade or move quickly in on my opponents

I'm quite a cautious RPer, as i've accidentally modded on an occasion. Because of my experience, I always perform actions that are "within the boundary". I'll take making extraordinary maneuvers into account next time I rp btw, that rocket anchor idea is wicked sick make like spiderman

@DD : "flexible" Got it, Duly noted (now that I think of it, i'm not a very flexible RPer )

Yeah that was a great battle Liubei, you took on Yan and myself alone and out gunned. It helps a bunch if you plan, think about the surroundings, and just be clever when battling others. It also helps to know what your suit can and cannot do. If there is a weather condition try to make a way to exploit it in your favor. Heavy rain, snow, sandstorms, and personnel favorite now, Hurricanes.

I would really like to see Rpers add weather into their MS vs Ms threads. Since you cannot always have perfect conditions when fighting X enemy.

Well, now, that's interesting. I daresay I've roleplayed in plenty of themes before, but never a battle. Thanks for the information. This is going to help me out a bit.

Hmm...Just one question...Is it possible to push a MW beyond it's operating limits just for a little while in order to go to the extreme to hit or damage an opponent or even just as to act as a decoy? Just a random question~

umm..... pushing it beyond its operating limit is sorta out of the question since the MW wont be able to handle it (ie: it'll blow itself out). but however if its pushing the limit of the pilot itself instead of the MW however it should be possible to increase the potential damage of the MW under specific circumstances...

Fighting in a hurricane is basically high winds, close to the waves or ocean body below the waring machines. Kind of like the weather when Shin impaled Athrun's Gouf in destiny with the anti-ship sword. In other words, it would prove more challenging and add more drama to a battle than fighting over a ocean that has perfect condition.

Also, in comment about removing a limiter device, it still has to be balanced enough with strengths and flaws. If you were to increase the thruster output to your vernier beyond safe limits, it could only be for a limited amount of time, cause another key system to burn out, drain energy at a higher ratio, or just simply cause the vernier block to explode from the excess energy.

The pilot pushing the mobile suit beyond its normal operation capacity is kind of frowned upon in Rping. The term cold be simply described at "Main Character Syndrome", where you character is capable of extraordinary things that usually do not occur with standard characters. Only newtypes of the UC would be capable of doing feats like that, but abilities like that would simply be like having Seed mode. It would unbalance the playing field, where a player would eventually god mode.

Removing safety protocols inside a mobile suit seem okay to me, as long as the increase inst a godly statistic, and has both pros and cons.

Edited by Guest

ahh k thanks for the description as well, but that battle between the Goof and Destiny was more like a normal storm rather than a hurricane though... so the weather conditions would be even worse.... ooo.... this type of batttle would look amazing if one can picture it once again thanks wilhelm

Also, in comment about removing a limiter device, it still has to be balanced enough with strengths and flaws. If you were to increase the thruster output to your vernier beyond safe limits, it could only be for a limited amount of time, cause another key system to burn out, drain energy at a higher ratio, or just simply cause the vernier block to explode from the excess energy.

The pilot pushing the mobile suit beyond its normal operation capacity is kind of frowned upon in Rping. The term cold be simply described at "Main Character Syndrome", where you character is capable of extraordinary things that usually do not occur with standard characters. Only newtypes of the UC would be capable of doing feats like that, but abilities like that would simply be like having Seed mode. It would unbalance the playing field, where a player would eventually god mode.

Removing safety protocols inside a mobile suit seem okay to me, as long as the increase inst a godly statistic, and has both pros and cons.

Ahh...Thanks HHL and Wilhelm. That was the answer I was looking for. Note that I did ask for 'a little while', and not going into SEED mode or become a Newtype. No, I frown upon that as well, and it was the reason why I left a roleplaying community too.

Now, I'm thinking about the odds between a machine accustomed to the terrain it is on against another which isn't. Also, can someone enlighten me whether it's plausible to be fighting in a blizzard, or if possible can the battle end halfway due to issues like zero visibility? Thanks.

well if wilhelm can fight in a hurricane.. .then blizzard is certainly possible i guess.... as for almost zero visibility... theres always the radar/scanner out in play so even though you might not be able to see... you'll still be able to know the location of the opponent's MS but it'll be really silly though why'd you fight in a blizzard... well kira's prob the only exception when he fought impulse...

@HHL: Even with state-of-the-art radar, such extreme weather conditions can still still distort good readings.  As for why anyone would fight in a blizzard, there could be several reasons.  The combatants may not necessarily have a choice, based on the situation.  Or one combatant (perhaps piloting a suit specializing in close-ranged combat) may decide to use the said blizzard to his/her advantage.

@FAITH: I just wanted to add a little to what you were asking before.  While it's obvious that pushing the full operating limits in a godly way is frowned upon, you can push certain aspects to achieve a certain objective or gain some advantage.  To use my first Coliseum battle as an example again, when I finally got close to one of my opponents I accidentally left myself open to a slash at my suit's torso.  Because one of my swords was locked against my opponent's (I was above my opponent at that time), I basically performed a one-handed handstand (while pushing against my opponent) to avoid the oncoming saber.  Because most suits have physical limitations, I added a bit of hydraulic stress to indicate further potential damage if I held that 'position' for too long.

@Wilhelm: Heh, thanks.  I tried to make the best of the situation.

well if wilhelm can fight in a hurricane.. .then blizzard is certainly possible i guess.... as for almost zero visibility... theres always the radar/scanner out in play so even though you might not be able to see... you'll still be able to know the location of the opponent's MS but it'll be really silly though why'd you fight in a blizzard... well kira's prob the only exception when he fought impulse...

Well, I'm pretty sure that there are other things which can be affected as well, such as the trajectory of the projectile. Perhaps squalls or gales might affect how the bullet travels, though I'm no expert on Mobile Suit technology and weaponry...

@liubei: Heh thanks. I was thinking along the line of sacrificing one body part to aid in a team battle or simply as a distraction to defeat an enemy. Basically, it's something 'unconventional'. right?

In any case, this is where knowledge and imagination comes into place for me.

I was just wonder since on a GuAIZ it has extensional arrestors could you use those as a way to grapple onto your opponents arms so you could get direct shot with a beam rifle or even the GuAIZ shield which has the beam claw?

@FAITH: Yeah, basically. 

@Jase: If you read the description for the GuAIZ at MAHQ, you'll notice that it says "the GuAIZ is equipped with an extensional arrestor similar to the 'Panzer Eisen' rocket anchor used by the GAT-X105+AQM/E-X02 Sword Strike Gundam."  So, yes, it could be use for grappling opponents.  (Though in a fast-paced fight, there are no guarantees that you'll succeed and launching the arrestor at your opponent will increase the risk of the loss of the said weapon.)

As for the beam claw...not really, it seems to be best used for slashing, gouging, and clawing an enemy suit rather than actually hooking into it.